Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Definition of Ice

Poster: A snowHead
What do you classify as "Ice"?? The term gets thrown around rather loosely. In Scotland its not icey untill you can play hockey on it!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I classify ice as ice. I'd describe it as icey when skiing if the snow is bone hard and you're never quite sure if your edges are going to hold and on occasions they don't and you do that really embarrassing throw your hands in the air balance correction thing.

I heard that if you wanted to try skiing in Scotland you should stick a blender full of ice on your face first to see if it was going to be for you. Or alternativel just sit in a bar. Quite liked that bit.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I call it ice when you see that green shiny glint....
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
pam w, is that in the bar or....

coat please.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hugh Jarse, TAAAAAXI.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ice is clear blue stuff, everything else is just Hardpack. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Spyderman, my thoughts exactly! none of this "snow is bone hard" rubbish! snowHead
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
PSB 06
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
They're correct in scotland.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
David Murdoch, we're alwAys correct in Scotland. Unlike you Southerners! wink
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
having learnt to ski as a child in scotland, i did have to laugh last year in peyragudes when the liftie tried to stop me going down one of the pistes as he said it was very icy and far too dangerous. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Rossfra8 wrote:
What do you classify as "Ice"?? The term gets thrown around rather loosely. In Scotland its not icey untill you can play hockey on it!

Rossfra8, there is a classification of snow hardness as follows:
- your hand breaks through the surface
- your finger makes it
- pencil bursts the surface (= hard pack)
- knife breaks through the surface ( = ice)
- knife scratches the surface ( = compact ice)
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I ski in Scotland and I can confirm that johnboy is correct - in that - the PSB 06 was real ice. Toofy Grin Though there was a large patch by one of the tows at PSB 07 that some kid tried to duck under the fence and traverse over that was a very very bad idea Skullie Lots of falling screaming and hitting tow pilons and more screaming Skullie
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
II, I'm glad you thought PSB 07 was icy - I certainly did!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The roughest nastiest ice I ever skied was on the long route from the Ptarmigan on Cairngorm, via the Traverse and the Fiacaill Ridge, and down to the car park. The snow had frozen in a strong icy wind to form something like corrugated iron. It felt like slippery rock. We raced across it in a mad scramble, with legs shaking and skis clattering.

This was the spring of 1975 and I was using Look turntable bindings, which had excellent elastic travel to absorb shocks. Never has a set of bindings served me better. A blow-out and long fall would have been a very painful experience.
latest report
Quote:
- pencil bursts the surface (= hard pack)
- knife breaks through the surface ( = ice)
- knife scratches the surface ( = compact ice)

No no no... It's more like:

- pencil bursts the surface (= Powder)
- knife breaks through the surface ( = Soft Snow)
- knife scratches the surface ( = firm packed)
- TNT scratches the surface (= hard packed)
- Try a Nuke? (Ice)

NehNeh
ski holidays
Quote:
Ice (n.) Water frozen solid.

...*runs*
ski holidays
OK, so there are some ice experts here - I called that stuff 'ice' that I found on holiday last Feb - would you agree?

It was a thin layer of snow that had turned to watery slush during a warm day, had frozen overnight, and on the point of freezing had been formed into something resembling 'cobbles' by the tracks of the piste basher. When I skied on it - a large proportion of the practice slope had the surface) the skis didn't cut in and they made an horrendous clattering noise when you went across them - come to think of it I must be getting hang of things to have even stayed upright there was so little grip - so tell me, does this sound like 'ice'?
ski holidays
I'd call that 'icy' as opposed to 'ice'
snow report
Megamum, do you have a pond that freezes over?
snow report
Megamum, death cookies.
snow conditions
Rossfra8, fish.
ski holidays
Rossfra8, Yes - but I wouldn't ski on it Laughing

rob@rar, Yes, that's what they felt like - sounds like you know the sort of surface I'm on about. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
This is SNOWHeads, not ICEHeads. I like to ski on snow. If I wanted ice, I'd take up skating.
ski holidays
Megamum, If you skied death cookies you did very well. we had them in Tremblant at New year - horrendous!
latest report
Megamum wrote:
Yes - but I wouldn't ski on it Laughing

That's why most people don't like skiing on ice Laughing
snow report
It hurts when I fall on it.
snow conditions
rob@rar wrote:
Megamum, death cookies.

I skied on that stuff so much it doesn't even register on my "ice scale". The first time I heard the term, I had to ask for a definition. Unpleasant it maybe, it's not deathly smooth like real ice, which resembles skiing on kitchen tiles.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I call it ice when the sound under my skis changes.
latest report
abc, I've never skied on stuff resembling kitchen tiles, the 'death cookies' are as bad as I've tried - mind you, at my level, that was bad enough!!
latest report
So those things are called death cookies are they? You learn something new every day Cool
ski holidays
Hard rolled artificial snow thawed and then frozen Skullie
ski holidays
Ice is when you can't ski on it, best thing to do is sideslip cos your edges sure aren't going to be gripping anything (at least that's what happened to me when I gaily hit a patch of ice!). Unpleasant as death cookies or re-frozen slush are, they're not ice. So Megamum, I'm afraid you've yet to experience ice.

tommy10pages, that's what Canadians (in BC) call ice! What we would call hard-packed Toofy Grin
snow report
Megamum wrote:
abc, I've never skied on stuff resembling kitchen tiles

I wouldn't recommend anyone trying it on purpose.

But one usually doesn't really know until one is already on the slope. By then, it's too late to say no. You only hope you make it down in one piece. And obviously, you don't go back to that same piste right away. Wink

Unlike the height of a cliff drop, you can afterward brag about how hard the ice is in the pub as much as you can. Because there's no way anyone can varify it since the condition is rarely repeatable. Smile

It's just for those of us who ski regularly in the east coast of US (or Scotland from the sound of it), the chance of hitting significant ice is so great you eventually accumulate a long list of such 'advantures'! (entirely un-planned, I might add)
ski holidays
I was once hiking and descending a ridge and hit a 30ft wide stretch of ice approx 4" deep. With no crampons with me it's been the only time I've had to cut steps to avoid having to turn back. That is ice... anything still white is just icy snow.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy