Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Nordica Dobermann Aggressor WC 150

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
A little bit of a running documentary...

Me: competent, 170 cm, 61 kg

Previous boots in reverse order: Tecnica icon alu comp, Explosion 8, TNT (original pink ones with green buckles), Salomon SX 92, Nordica N90R, Nordica GT Junior, etc.

Current Skis: Nordica Dobermann SL-R 165, Rossi 9X WC 190

Anyway, for ages I've wanted a stiffer boot and the Tecnicas finally hit the smell barrier (6 years, 280 days and 2 liners). So Lady M and I trooped in to see Luca in Champoluc.

Tried: Lange 130, Fischer WC 130, Nordica 130 but all a bit soft. Nordica 150 was only one up to what I wanted (Tecnica Race 17 not avail and apparently identical to Nordica but with wider heel box. Nice colour tho')

To close it, Nordica delivered in a handy carrying case, what more could you ask for?

Some trepidation as size below marginally too small, maybe.

Day 1: Ohmigod! Outstandingly sensitive. Totally "woke up" my skis" just marvellous. Didn't apply any insoles. Not nearly as painful as promised (too big?) But some pain on outside of feet. Considerable difficulty removing when cold (had to drive with heater on for 10 mins)

Day 2: added old insoles from 2 boots ago. Definitely no size issue. Still marvellous, made 190 GS skis more tractable but very sore outside foot.

Went into collect new Sidas liners from Pierre (local bootfitter). Skied down from Crest at 2 a.m. This morning and a significant improvement. More to follow once I get up...

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 6-01-08 20:42; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
So, here are piccies of the boots in their lovely carrying case. How cool is that?

The Case...

Boots snug and warm in their case...

Day 3: In the previous episode Pierre suggested that I might need wedges to counter my outer foot pain before getting into shell re-moulding. We didn't really have time to test this as today's skiing started at 14h30 and finished 10 seconds later as her ladyship rightly pointed out that by the time we faffed around and had lunch there'd be no skiing left. So we had lunch (and a fine vitello tonnato it was too. Nice Berbera with it.)

Day 4: chums had come over with their and friends kids. Run #1 a skier/snowboarder incursion left eldest son with suspected collarbone fracture (both from our party). This somewhat curtailed skiing for a bit. Re the Boots: A few runs backed up earlier appearances and all felt just great. Still residual outside foot pain but this probably reflection of earlier damage. Another excellent lunch. New bar at bottom of Frachey 4 man chair mighty fine - Minestrone to be recommended as a full meal in itself.

Day 5: grim, grey weather, hardpack or ice all that was available. Uninspired. Did a few toots down Pistone into Champoluc. Headed for Morzine.

Day 6: A tremendous day around Avoriaz/Linga. Overcast but much better snow. Soft(er) snow performance excellent, bump performance excellent.

So - to sum up so far:

Fit - much better than prior Tecnicas. The whole lacing up and inserting of liner with foot into shell has been binned in favour of traditional approach. May revert to laces for the Inferno in a fortnight.

Stiffness - well, at the end of day 1 when I was tired (knackered) and it was bitterly cold I did wonder if I'd made a mistake - but not since. Complete transfer of control inputs to the skis. Just fantastic and exactly the sort of performance I was looking for. Can I flex them? Errr, yes. Are they stiff, err, yes, but not to the point of ridiculousness.

Performance - incredible. Immensely sensitive. Fantastic feedback (arguably better without footbeds but that would over-compromise comfort). Sophie says I have a noticeably more aggressive stance and I'm definitely able to get greater edge angles more easily than noticed before. The Nordica SL-Rs are a totally different ski - and they were pretty special before. The Rossi 190s just become easier to handle but they are still a handful. Need emptier, wider pistes for those puppies.

Happy with my Christmas present? Oh yes, I think so.

Oh and will they be good in powder? I'd imagine so, especially on the SL-Rs...

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sun 6-01-08 21:01; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
David Murdoch, I have a pair too, love them, but i've been working on them for two years to get them just right. I love the lace up liner, best i've used and it takes alot to get a footbed to work in this kind of boot.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, do you indeed?

Bit of a bee-atch to get on and off with the laces though don't you find? I'm astonished at how comfortable they are. Possibly the best I've met. Pierre (if I understood correctly) seems to have a trainer/circuit boot fitting history and was apparently the Sidas importer for Italy for a while. He now just seems to take it easy getting into other peoples smelly feet. You may have encountered him?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
David Murdoch, I put the liner on then put the shell on after. Do i know Pierre? Maybe. Faces and feet mean more than names, Daryl. Twisted Evil
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy