Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria for weekend?

Poster: A snowHead
Thinking about a long weekend at the end of January- maybe Austria as never been there. Criteria are:

- reasonable transfer time
- decent apres-ski
- OK for 2nd week skier (my mate)
- good chance of low-ish cost accomodation for the weekend

St Anton appeals but does it fit the above? Any other suggestions?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
wopple, only problem with St Anton is getting weekend accomodation in Jan and Feb. Might have to go out of the village and stay up the road.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
zell am zee
- reasonable transfer time - 1 1/2 hr by train or bus from salzburg
- decent apres-ski - lively mountain bars and town bars too
- OK for 2nd week skier (my mate) - 150 km with kaprun included some great runs as well
- good chance of low-ish cost accomodation for the weekend - i got a place in an adams family style guest house for £10 a night ! through official website!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Loads of resorts near Salzburg would suit you. Both Obertauern and Schladming meet all of your requirements and it shouldn't be too hard to find accommodation nearer the time.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
wopple, you need to come to Ski Amade. Its 45 min transfer from Salzburg, accommodation is very well priced. We have excellent snow, great mountain huts. If you are after apres-ski - look at Flachau - thats the party town. Look at www.skiamade.com accommodation section for somewhere to stay. Very Happy
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
wopple, best flights are in/out of Munich with BA from H'row in my opinion (don't know where you live tho') or Lufhansa from Manchester. Both have a very late flight out (around 9pm) which means you get a full day sliding on your final day and they're often cheaper than "lo cost" flights into Salzburg. I'd recommend Soll for a week-end simply because there's fab night skiing to be had which will extend your on-snow time. Only 90 mins from Munich (if you hire a car).
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ryanair flights Stansted to Salzburg are very well timed to maximise your ski time allowing half a day skiing minimum on travel out and full day skiing on travel back day, but shop around as Bode Swiller says.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
wopple, another vote for Ski Amade!!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for the advice, all. Will definitely look at those options. Also was reading about Ischgl, which sounds a kinda fun place- any experience?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
wopple, same problem as St Anton with weekend accomodation. We wanted to go in Jan but could'nt find anywhere to stay for less then a full week sat to sat.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Cant fault a recent weekend ski trip to Ski Amade, Thomsonfly flights from Manchester go friday afternoon, come back Sunday late giving 2 full days skiing for 1/2 day off work, was even considering the very early Saturday flight but maybe next time. Good/great skiing, good snow, dozens of resrots within an hour of the airport and the Austrian level of service was outstanding compared to what we experienced last year in France
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
With being so low, as long as conditions are good, I would recommend Zell as daveqpr, says.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
wopple, dont go to Seefeld. Apres Ski doesn't exist there. Theres plenty of skiing for all levels, but everything shuts at 5pm and the whole place goes dead, except for one slope which is open for night skiing on two evenings a week. Its a very pretty but disappointing place. Sad
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
wopple, Ellmau, Soll - the SkiWelt area. Great easy skiing and lively, cheap nightlife. an hour from salzburg where as previous poster says, ryanair flights work well to maximise skiing. I've done many w/ends to that region - arrive late Thurs, leave late Sun - 3 big days skiing 1 day off work, £500 missing from bank account Toofy Grin
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hugh Jarse, Hence why we're back over a week earlier than planned. rolling eyes Good to be home. Will try another area next time.
latest report
wopple, I've just done exactly what you're after, Austria weekend in Jan, out Weds night back Sun day night, got cheap Ryanair flights to Salzburg and got accomodation in Schadming. Was very easy, used resort website accomodation search and found several places free for weekend in early Jan and gone with that. Also emailed the tourist office with our requirements and we got 5 offers back for accom Weds to Sun so think you should be ok. You can search the lot from the Ski Amade site mentioned above. Good luck Smile
snow conditions
Kitzbuehel, from Salzburg.

Saalbach-Hinterglemm, from Salzburg.

Zell am See, from Salzburg.

Isola 2000, from Nice.
ski holidays
wopple, I've already done this earlier in the season. It worked out really well.

We fly to Salzburg from Coventry on the 07:25 flight on Friday and flew back 21:30 on the Sunday which gave us 2 1/2days on the slopes. As you can see from the posts above there's plently of resorts within 90mins of Salzburg so you should be fine if you head there.
snow report
For a weekend Obertauern takes some beating.
ski holidays
Obertauern must be an option, I did it in December and it worked out great, you can order a transfer on their website for 42 Euros return, and thay pick you up from the Salzburg airport and drop off for the hotel, same the other way, no hassle at all and cheap. Only 1h transfer! Resort is nice, compact and snowsure, crazy apre-ski in Edelwaiss hut above the town, and then more bars in the town.... Much better to stay in town centre, around Edelwaiss or Gamstein lift.... We get early morning Ryanair flight (9am in Salzburg) and return flight was at 9pm so we had full day on slopes before heading back and on arriving day I manage to get on the slopes at 11.30 !!
snow report
Tom W, what lift is that Edelwaiss hut off? I just got back from there and though we found a good place for 11pm onwards on New Year's eve we couldn't find any decent apres in town other than those stupid circular plastic things. We were staying by the Gamsleiten lift so tended to ski back in that way but there was no apres happening on that side.
latest report
We're doing a long weekend in a couple of weeks - flight out of Manchester on Friday afternoon with Thomsonfly, Sat, Sun, Mon, Tues skiing, and then 19.30 flight back from Salzburg. 2.5 days of work = 4 days of skiing. The late flight back means we can ski until 4.30ish, and change and drive back to Salzburg for the flight home.

We're going to Dienten in the Hochkonig region, about a 1 hour drive from Salzburg. It is a small village and quiet though. Would recommend Zell Am See, Saalbach or Schladming for convenience for a short break. Also like Obertauern too. Zell and Schladming however have the advantage of being slightly more accessible by train if you don't want a car. Obertauern and Saalbach would involve a bus or taxi. However, we usually get a car for short breaks as it is generally more efficient and gets you more slope time.

Owners are often reluctant to let self-catering places for weekends, as they lose a whole two weeks of rent, but it is fairly low season this month, and is now 'last minute', and I know we are not the only people with a couple of empty weeks left, so you should find something fairly easily.

Happy sliding.
D
snow conditions
Zell am See - easy transfer, train direct if you need it or a ski bus. Good slopes for your mate, and enough to keep you challenged.

Obertauern is great but transfer a pain in the bottom. Love the resort.

Ski Amade here http://www.skiamade.com/skigebiete/ a motley collectiuon of resorts.

I'd go (and do for weekends) to Zell. St Anton - where you going to fly to. Friedrichshafen is a pain, and Innsbruck is pricey, it's also not too great for your intermediate friend.
snow report
RichA, I believe its the hut on the right when you're on the way down from the Edelweissbahn lift....it was packed and rocking by 4pm when i was there back in November!
ski holidays
Mad suggestion?:

Fly straight to Innsbruck with EasyJet, so you can stay in a proper city rather than a little ski resort so good nightlife guaranteed. Get the bus up the Stubai valley every day where there are loads of little resorts and a decent glacier. I think there's even a funicular from the city that goes right to its local slopes.

That's what I'm thinking of doing later in the Spring anyway...
latest report
RichA, Yes, it is on top of Edelweiss lift (the floodlight run), first part is a kind of new glass/umbrella bar, on the back connected to the older wooden hut, the wooden part is where the DJ is and usually is busier with proper Austrian apre-ski atmosphere
snow conditions
RichA, .... and you have to ski down the slope at night which is a fun
snow report
Tom W wrote:
RichA, ... wooden part is where the DJ is and usually is busier with proper Austrian apre-ski atmosphere

booger !! ... missed it .. i love all that stuff

Tom W wrote:
RichA, .... and you have to ski down the slope at night which is a fun

even better !!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
RichA,
Last time I missed some places in Saalbach due to lack of info basically, so I went mad this time and read every single bit I could find on internet about Obertauern, my girlfriend have thought I was there before Smile
snow report
Tom W, We kept missing the apre at the top of the Edelweiss because our hotel served afternoon tea at 4.30 pm and the cakes were just so good we couldn't resist - but we go back on 23rd Feb, and we are determined to do some euro pop stomping in the boots stuff!! It's what Austria is all about, and France can't do! 6 weeks and 4 days to go...
ski holidays
wopple, due to a cancellation, we have availability in our apartment in Zell Am See for the rest of this month, and are happy to let for long weekends. Have a look at the website if you're interested.

D
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy