Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Courchevel - what are your tips please?

Poster: A snowHead
Off to Courchevel next week. Having been to the pds for the last three seasons the three valleys is a new area to me and the family (wife and two children). We are staying in Le Praz.

It is a big area I know so what is worth not missing. I am a typical intermediate who will cover distance but not necessarily steepness. Should I get a 3V pass or just an area pass? We normally have a couple of "better" meals on the mountain if we can during the week (daytime). Any recommendations? Also anything else you think might be useful.

Thanks Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Meals on the mountain are outrageous in parts of CVL (20€ for an omelette, they are having a giraffe for God's sake). The Ours Blanc on the front de neige at 1650 was popular with friends of mine when they stayed - good range of acceptable food at more or less normal prices.

As an intermediate skier you probably won't get your money's worth out of a 3V pass (unless you're one of these strange types who refuses to ski the same piste twice in a lifetime) - better value to get a CVL pass and upgrade for a day if you want to do the 'VT and back again' thing.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The runs in Couchevel are beautifully groomed and not too steep on the whole. The runs tend to flatter their customers! So if you like motorway milage go for a 3V pass, I do not know the different prices between local and 3V. True you will not ski all the runs in a week but you can do a few "away days"!

Have fun.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
An adult 6-day 3V pass is €42 more expensive than a Courchevel pass at €220 c/w €178.

I'd say the Courchevel pass alone would suffice for an intermediate as there's a great deal of skiing to be had there . Having said that, I've always paid the extra whenever I've been there.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Three Valleys is perfect for an intermediate covering big distances. I would strongly advise getting the Three Valleys pass - the links are very straightforward. Also Courchevel (apart from bit of 1650) is in the shade by 2.00 at this time of year. So it makes sense to pop over to the Meribel slopes for the last couple of hours on sunny days. Depending how confident an intermediate you are, you may prefer to use the Loze crossing to Meribel and back (rather than the Saulire). It's probably easiest for La Praz anyway.

Superb blues (and some pretty reds, with good off-piste options - like Chapelets) in 1650, which is usually very quiet. And if you are there, I would recommend the Bel Air (at the top of the Ariondaz bubble) for one of your 'better' meals. Even though next week will be quiet, you should book a table the day before (or earlier that morning). Some of my friends like the Soucoup (at the Loze), but it is a bit formal for my taste. There are certainly some places that you would need to take a mortgage out for lunch - like the Cap Horn at the Altiport.

I'll be in Meribel next week, so let's hope that we get the bit of extra snow that's forecast - and that temperatures stay cold.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I second the "Whole area pass" idea. It is so easy to get around the area and for so little extra why limit yourself? There is plenty on here for favourite runs etc, but my favourites include the ones down from Signal over in the far side of Courchevel and the ones on the Tougnette side of the Meribel valley. There are some delicious blues through the trees down to Meribel. Jerusalem is a favourite too, as are other runs in that area of Belleville.

For a challenge, try the two steepish reds on Vallon. After that go all the way to the top of La Masse (usually deserted- even half term week) and frighten yourself on the black from the top. It is one of the very few blacks I have ever done so it must be an easy one! Also go up to the glacier at Val T. This is another desterted area. Try and get into the 4th valley too. This is all within the capabilities of a fat, unfit, skidder who can barely cut a decent turn, so get the full pass. You will love it. The run down to La Praz is nice too, if a little hard to spot at times. There is a little shop selling savoury pancakes at La Praz, which is about my lunch level if I am going to ski at all. For lashing out, I suggest the Bergeries at 1850, though you may well need to book. (It has gold bows on the outside).

Enjoy!

snowHead
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Bear in mind that if you do roam across the valleys you have watch your timings for getting back. Don't miss the last uplift to get back over the ridge(s) as it is an expensive taxi ride to get you home.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ccl, True.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
for a cheap lunch try the bakery in Forum building, just behind the Front de neige 1850
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
chrisb juast back from a few days in Val Thorens including a couple of trips over to Courchevel

Agree with the comments above that you should go for a 3Vs pass

The slopes above C1650 are among the quietest in the 3Vs so are usually in very good condition, also the Bel Air restaurant at the top of the C1650 gondola there has great views if you want somewhere to stop for a drink

For a very nice lunch visit the place at the top on the Loze link between Courchevel and Meribel, think it's called Roc De Fer? I had a great birthday lunch there on Sunday Very Happy
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
chrisb, one tip (unless you are loaded) is do not just wander into a restaurant on the slopes and order a round of coffees and hot chocolates without checking prices; some are just plain ridiculous (like 12 euros for a hot chocolate, and that was six years ago.....). Fortunately, the day I passed that one, feeling like a hot chocolate, I was skiing with two women from our chalet who had been stung there the day before, so we just kept going... and some of the local restaurants could probably cost you four figures for a family meal. Can't recommend a restaurant as we stayed in a chalet in 1650 with the most superb food, and on the chalet staff's night off we stayed in, had the entire gorgeous place to ourselves with a roaring log fire, with a selection of charcuterie and "traiteur" stuff, and a 12 euro bottle of wine which was soooo much more desirable than a 12 euro bottle in the pizzeria, which would have been rubbish.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks for all of your comments. Seems that there is a bit of a split between a 3V or area pass. Knowing me I will make up my mind in front of the lift ticket office just before I get to the front.

Ayrshire Andy, Thanks for that comment about the 2pm and shade. Although it is obvious I would only have thought about it by the middle of the week.

Looks like it is going to snow tomorrow so that should help the piste.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I have been to the three valleys many times generally staying in Mottaret, here are my tips for a great trip:

Buy the 3v pass - it is a bit more but being able to ski anywhere without worrying allows you to avoid the crowds and follow the sun - it will be worth it.

You will want to spend some days doing mega three valleys trips such as Courchevel to La Masse or VT - but spend some other times going to the corners of some of the areas where there are some great quiet runs (particularly at lunchtime) - Signal at C1650 mentioned by others, Mont Vallon above Mottaret, the runs down from the top of the Tougnete towards St Martin de Belleville (Jerusalem, Lagopede etc). Also some of the 'home runs' which are crowded in the afternoon can be great fun late morning / lunchtime when nobody is using them, in particular the long reds/blues/ blacks down towards La Tania and Le Praz from the Loze ridge.

Study the piste map carefully, often a large morning queue for one of the big bubble lifts can be avoided by judicious use of a few quiet chairlifts.

My favourites - Mont Vallon both reds. The black from the top of Cime de Caron back down to bottom of cable car (steep , wide, high speed), Les Suisses and Piste 'M' off of the Saulire on Courchevel side and the best mornings run on a good snow day all the way from top of Saulire down to Le Praz - a huge vertical drop without needing any other lifts then a sandwich down on the nice seats in Le Praz at the base of the lifts by the frozen pond!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Trenmold, Mont Vallon, agreed, fantastic reds, a little icy for me last Jan but I'd expect they'd be awesome with some snow on.

The Creux and the Combe de Saulire were also favourites of mine.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Definitley go for a 3V pass, the whole ski area is perfect for intermediates that like to cover the miles. I'd strongly recommend a few trips over to Val Thorens when the weather is nice, as the snow is best there and there is some great skiing up on the high glaciers. Also, try to get over to the ski runs of La Masse in Les Menuires where you can enjoy some great deserted intermediate and advanced runs. Some of the best skiing is in Courchevel itself, such as the reds combe de la saulire and creux from the top of the saulire cable car. In bad visibility conditions, you can stick to the intermediate tree-lined runs around La Tania and La Praz, like Folyeres.
snow report
The Diablerts (sp) in La praz is good for beers and food. last week the blues towards la tania and la praz were in excellent nick and little used you shoul have a blast.

the hut next to the kalico in 1850 (at the base of the forum ski through the tunnel and is on the left) is very good for hot sandwiches

for a good meal on the mountain try the Bel Air in 1650 or Le soucoup but book a table. I also really like the circ en ceil (sp) at the base of the saulire cable car generally very good plat du jour and reasonably priced.
latest report
chrisb, As you're in Le Praz, treat yourself to Dinner in the best Restaurant in the Village, forget Bistro Le Praz, try the 'YaCa' just behind the ski shop. The food is fantastic, very small so you will need to book. Very Happy
snow conditions
3V all the way - it's not that much more (how many on-mountain chocolat chauds is that) and, as has been said before, you can follow the sun without worrying. I'd also second the advice about timing on the way back, better to set out early on teh long treks and work your way back.

Having said all that Courchevel 1650 has some awesome skiing - to the left and right of the main lift from 1650 centre will stretch you and ther is some lovely cruisiong away over to the left as you look at the mountain.

Enjoy!

CW
snow conditions
beware the stunning looking chalet restaurant on the run back in to 1850 it looks beautiful and am sure is very nice if you have the budget of a russian ogliarch.

Lovely skiing in courchevel. More challenging runs 'm' if bumpy and the red run that drops off it is interesting. Lots of fast cruisy reds and blue. nice runs thorugh the trees to le praz and la tania. Les meenuire. st martin de bellville (aim for here for your nice lunches on the slopes-others can tell you the nice restaurant's names). I'd second skier nick's comments as well
snow report
Some excellent advice here which I am sure will be put to good news next week snowHead Half a sleep to go!
snow conditions
Thanks for all of the advice. Hopefully the rain this weekend will not totally wreak the slopes!
snow report
A while since I have been to the three valleys but my own take on which pass is that it depends on what you areplanning. If you are taking a half days lessons each day you may not find you have a lot oftime to explore the better bits of the three valleys bobbing over to Meribel is not that interesting skiing. If you are not taking lessons then exploring the area becomes more practical and gives a focus to the day. From memory restaurant prices are a bit more reasonable in general in the Belleville valley than elsewhere in the area which can be very expensive.
snow report
A lot has already been said. We always go for 3V pass so we can get over to VT/Les Menuires. Mont Vallon definitely worth a visit or several. Love the Creux area of Courchevel 1850 (several reds, Suisses black, can be bumpy), also the runs above 1650.

dan100, the Chalet des Pierres is extremely expensive, but it has a hole in the wall on the piste doing reasonable/cheap food and lovely sunny spot to sit in deck chairs.

Folyeres is a lovely run down to La Tania (and Indiens isn't too bad down to 1650). Les Menuires has lovely open, wide, empty pistes, even when we've been there during half term. Bel Air definitely worth a visit but you need to book.

Have a good time. We're going at the start of March for 2 weeks.
ski holidays
Thanks for all of your comments. We had a really good week last week. Esprit gave us nice accomodation, good food (there is no way I could have cooked that well when I was 1Cool, childcare good as ever. ESF were excellent with my two daughters, they really came on and enjoyed the week.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy