Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Boots: Lockwoods or elsewhere?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Following on from previous thread I am now leaning towards new boots, or at least taking mine to a reputable place for the once over.

Lockwoods seems very popular on this site, so does CEM from Bicester and ZK's in Cham.

Bicester is too far, can't get to Cham this year, so that leave Lockwoods (still an hour and a half away) or somewhere else.

Just how much better are the people at Lockwoods to, say, the staff at Ellis Brigham Castleford. In the opinion of those who have used Lockwoods', is it worth the time and expense in making the trip? Are there particular individiduals at the store who should be asked for?

Or does anyone know of other recommeded boot fitters around the Yorks/East Mids area ? thanks.....
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I got a new pair from Lockwoods last year because of the recommendations on here. I was very impressed with the time and effort that went into ensuring the correct boots were selected and that they were then adjusted, etc to fit my feet perfectly. Wore them on 2 trips last year and they were very comfortable. I went in the week when it was very quiet and the first guy I spoke to dealt with me, they all struck me as being very capable. I've not used S&R or EB and can't comment.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
masmith, Julian at EB's Castleford is apparently pretty good but I'd still prefer to go to someone bio-mechanically qualifed etc. Also EB's don't have the unweighted vaccuum footbed gear that CEM has so their method is very much down to the skill of the fitter. I'd bite the bullet & have a day out.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
masmith, The team at Lockwoods, bar a couple each year, have been the same dedicated people for 8 years.(John, Andy, Lee.) They were top of the tree then and still are.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the advice, the bullet has been bitten and a 200 mile round trip awaits this afternoon.

Wonder which of the following is most likely:

i) my boots modded to fit properly
ii) new boots professionally fitted
iii) walk away disappointed.

Suspect ii) is most likely, but would prefer to avoid cost of new boots if poss. We'll see !! I'm going with a credit card and an open mind.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
masmith, I would bet the following:

i) new boots professionally fitted
ii) walk away limping
wink .
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
MY route was CEM for the insole and Lockwoods for the boot. The clincher was that the Cham Team Footworks were in town that day and 2 hr trip either way was just..well, I was happy I did it.

From a punters POV, this is what you can expect....

a) a good choice of boot
b) A very snug fit..borderline painful...but go with it as the liners settle down after a while. The only thing you'll be able to move are your toes....I hate constricted toes..!!!
c) you should have you leg cant/aligment clarified/identified and hopefully rectified all in one ....

There are probably others but you should be able to go straight out and ski, knowing that your set-up is good. I wouldn't rule out a further visit as the work involved can get complicated ...hit and miss, it ain't..

Good luck.

Maybe a few others can post their conclusions...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
JT, good tips - thanks.
Will be testing the boots out 17-20 Jan, then there's the opportunity for some fine tuning if necessary before I'm out again on 31 Jan.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I dont get this buy your boots at one place and then go somewhere else (CEM) to get and insole... who is guaranteeing your fit?

do you first buy your boots from lockwoods and then have the inners done or the other way around? What if you need the boot punched or ground who does that? Who recommends the boot and inner liner, CEM or Lockwoods? What if you have problems who sorts you out?

I am sure they do a great job but it seems a slightly odd arrangement
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
getting CEM and Lockwoods involved does seem like too many cooks overegging the pudding...
doesn't CEM have an arrangement with Beans to supply boots which he then works on?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
skimottaret,

I don't know how you read it that way round, but to clarify....
I had the insoles done first ... as I wasn't sure I wanted/needed a new boot. As it happened I didn't. I skied that season with the new insole and old boot
Once you have the insole, you will transfer it anyway.....until it wears out

Then I went to buy new boots.... and as it happens again, I would have been happy for them to fit an insole, but they would not have needed to. They then fitted the boot and job done.
I knew the insole worked so any mods are down to the boot.

If I was doing as the poster is looking to do.... then I might have it done in-house all at the same time... but I am very happy with the way I did it and the people I used..
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Well, walked away with a new pair of Salomon Impact 10.

The problem with my old boots was quickly identified and it didn't take long to dismiss the option of trying to mod them.

Feet measured and the Impact's brought out. Fitted very well, better than any boot I've ever had before. A few niggles but that would be sorted out with heating. Tried a couple of different insoles then went straight for the heat fitting (with some sticky pads on several pressure points to create a bit more space where needed).

That was that. Not quite what I expected. I thought I'd be trying on at least 3 pairs of boots and that more modifications would be done to the boot, but that just wasn't necessary.

Only disappointment is that on returing home and looking up the boots in the S&R and EB catalogues, I found out that EB sold the same boots for less - £260 ... a whole £10 less than Lockwoods !! This was soon forgotton though when I realised (in a rather girly fashion) that they colour coded with my Volkl Karma/Tyrolia Freeflex perfectly ! Laughing

Will be trying the boots out for the first time mid January.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Certainly something I'll be looking to do I think once I'm back from Whistler (hiring while I'm there, the decent gear though). So, I read with interest Smile
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy