Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Quebec Ski Resorts

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I have just got back from a combined site-seeing/ skiing trip to Quebec, and thought you might like a short report.
I flew into Montreal and next morning drove up to Mont Tremblant, which is the largest resort in Eastern Canada and owned by Intrawest (the same company who own Whistler/Blackcomb in Western Canada). The slopeside resort itself has been built up over the last few years and incorporates the usual assortment of hotels. condominiums, restaurants. bars and shops that you find in most North American resort developments. From the lower level up to the slopes there is a free bucket type lift system (I don't know the official term for these types of lift, but when I last came across them in Flaine they were referred to by the Brits as "yogurt pots" which is a name I rather like!). There is a good selection of tree lined runs on both the resort side South Face and the North Face on the other side (graded up to double diamond level). I didn't actually stay in the slopeside resort, but at Mont Tremblant Village which is actually about 5km away and was where virtually all visitors stayed before the slopeside accomodation was built - I had previously arranged on-line a good value accomodation/breakfast & dinner package at the Auberge La Porte Rouge -highly recommended and haute cuisine meals (must be the French influence) Smile
If you don't fancy driving the 5km to the slopes from Mont Tremblant Village there is a regular shuttle bus operates throughout the day - this allowed me to indulge in some apres-ski beers. Very Happy
Being my first time in Quebec in Winter I was expecting colder temperatures than I was used to - although it was sunny most of the time I was there, typical temperatures were -12C to -15C (even colder with wind chill factor) Evil or Very Mad This made me appreciate the warmth provided by my recently acquired helmet, and also a good excuse to try the local Quebecois fast food speciality called Poutine - basically chips served with gravy and melted cheese - heart attack on a plate! NehNeh

In addition to Mont Tremblant, I also skied for a day at Le Massif which is about 90 minutes drive north-east of Quebec City. Although considerably smaller than Tremblant it has a fantastic view overlooking the St Lawrence River which is filled with ice floes at this time of year- it seems like the pistes virtually go down to the water's edge! I rate the setting as among the top 3 best of the ski areas I have been to (the others being Lake Tahoe and Zermatt)

Although the snow itself in both resorts was not the champagne powder you get in the rockies, it was acceptably soft, with very few icy patches - I have certainly encountered worse in Europe.
Hope the above is of interest.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We went to Tremblant 2 years ago with the children, stayed in a slopeside condo (privately arranged on the web) thought it was excellent, prices maybe were'nt as low as we thought they would be but the kids loved it, ski school all day and we still had to drag them away at the end of each day!
thought the skiing was really good. did you find 'le refuge' hut on the north side, great place to stop on a cold day.
by the way what did you reckon to Flaine?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
David
My Mont Tremblant Piste map shows only one refuge (on the South Side) - but I didn't visit it.

As regards Flaine, I visited it some years ago with a group from work. Architecturally it wouldn't win any prizes - the tour rep described it as Benidorm on snow! Smile However, the runs were good enough ( I seem to remember a good red run called Le Serpent) but it does have the advantage for a group of mixed abilities that it is in a bowl so all runs end up at the same place and it is convenient for meeting up with other people in your group.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy