Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snowboard or Ski???

Poster: A snowHead
Ski-ing is the thing pal snowHead
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

Old men who start skiing late just look sad, with skis, poles and arms flying everywhere as they try to plow down the hill toward loserville

Equally sad old and young.

But the one who don't start AT ALL are the ultimate loser.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Tubbs, I've not read through all of this (just the first page) so you may have been given this advice already. Learn one of the disciplines first, I would go for skiing first (if you snowboard first there is a fair chance you'll opt out of the skiing). Skiing is much easier at first and you should be making decent turns in a day.(If you're as you describe yourself). Snowboarding will take approx 3 times longer. The big difference between them after a weeks lessons is this,
Skiing, you'll think you're pretty proficient at it but in truth you'll probably never look stylish or be able to ski powder, bumps, do tricks or carve without being taught how to.(It's a big gripe of mine that most British skiers have never learnt to ski properly)
Snowboarding, you'll get pretty good, look stylish, start doing tricks etc, just riding with friends.
Snowboarding is more fun until you can ski well (which won't happen without instruction)
I have no axe to grind either way as I love both disciplines equally. Hope this helps.
...and by the way age is irrelevent, I was 43 when I first started thowing myself off kickers etc,
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
abc wrote:
Quote:

Old men who start skiing late just look sad, with skis, poles and arms flying everywhere as they try to plow down the hill toward loserville

Equally sad old and young.

But the one who don't start AT ALL are the ultimate loser.

A very good point - and not just snow related!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
('plectrum, ')

Quote:
There are many runs in resorts which have flat sections, take 3 valleys between VT and Les Menuires on top of this and it is only a small walk but at the entrance to many chairs lifts there is a ramp which skiers glide up but often boarders have to stop at the bottom unbuckle and walk.

If by "glide" you mean staggering like a demented penguin, flailing poles in all directions, then yes skiers r kool Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
skidonald - THANK YOU.

Great follow up - there has been a lot of helpful comments and yours sums things up well for me.

Without being too greedy I want to experience it all and happy to learn and practice over the coming years ( I am lucky to have friends that I can stay with anytime near crabbe - might not be a mega resort but great to practice and cheap! I have other trips I can do during the seasons so in the next few year I hope I can cram in a lot) If it comes naturally all the better, if not I am sure I will have fun a long the way.

Good news about the kickers, looking forward to it and I still have 5 years until you have beaten me too it!

Next step MK
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
tubbs, I hope you'll be back to tell us how it all went?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
im oblivous to the result.
have you chosen skiing or boarding?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Skiing

I will post how MK goes - I will be honest!

Unless I completely hate it then I will stick with skiing on my trip - hope to get 3-4 days at Whistler then at least 6-7 full days at Crabbe.

Crabbe seems great value and I can go during the week so try to get some 1 -1 tuition - and lots of practice.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
skidonald, Thoroughly agree.

Whitegold wrote:

At 37, knocking on 40, your abililty to learn a new sport is vastly impaired.
You are not a teenager anymore, even if you feel like one.

Disagree, that's pretty much when I learnt.

tubbs, Go for it!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
tubbs wrote:
Skiing

Wrong choice. But good luck. Let us know how it goes.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
As a beginner, if you're 17 or under and have excellent, long, scruffy-but-cool hair then do snowboarding. If you don't fit that description then you're just going to look fat/old/stupid/combination of all three on a board. So do skiing.

Whatever you do, don't sit in the middle of the piste on blind corners. Toofy Grin
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
JonO_1001 wrote:
skidonald, Thoroughly agree.

Whitegold wrote:

At 37, knocking on 40, your abililty to learn a new sport is vastly impaired.
You are not a teenager anymore, even if you feel like one.

Disagree, that's pretty much when I learnt.

tubbs, Go for it!

Agree - I was 36 when I learnt and was managing to get down blacks (with poor style though) after 10 days.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Whitegold wrote:

Old men who start skiing late just look sad, with skis, poles and arms flying everywhere as they try to plow down the hill toward loserville.

It's all the years of sex, drugs and rock and roll that have adled our brains
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I wonder whether I could use that quotation as a sig?

Whitegold, What a hero!

snowHead
ski holidays
Quote:

The body deteriorates rapidly when you pass around 28 years of age. At 37, your physical and mental skills will already be waning fast. For example, 99% of professional soccer players have retired by this time.

Now just hold on a minute... There are those of us who have had to wait a while before strapping anything onto our feet and launching ourselves down a mountain - not like you youngsters! and just because we are in our forties (or even fifties) when we start does not automatically mean we are barely able to stand up! I am taking a group of teenge friends of my son skiing/snowboarding at Easter and I know I can wipe the floor with all of them except my son (a skier) who can just about keep up with the boss! So forget the ageism - it's what is in your head that counts and snow sports are a great leveller. And anyway professional footballers are a bunch of girls.
P.S. I would go with the skiing because you can do more with it and you don't end up with a wet bum all day, but really it is whatever rings your bell and you only know that when you have tried both.
snow conditions
Tubbs- pleased you have not chosen the path of darkness (boarding) and won't be doomed to a life of sitting on slopes ,falling of drag lifts, and talking a makey up language not on else understands.
But seriously, as for this ageist bit, surely it relates to your starting point! I know someone who has just taken up skiing in his late fifties, but is fit and active for his age. A number of years ago I had a go at boarding, had a great laugh, and intend to try more seriously some time (despite what I said above) so that I can then try that kite boarding thing. Would also like to telemark etc. Should imagine that 99% of retired soccer players would be more fit than most for skiing or boarding if their knees weren't knackered.
snow report
I'm thinking of getting a pet for my children. Could anyone please advise me whether I should get a cat or a dog, as I'm not sure which is best.

Thanks in advance.
snow report
Cat.
latest report
Quote:

talking a makey up language not on else understands

You what?
ski holidays
Peter Smith wrote:
Quote:

The body deteriorates rapidly when you pass around 28 years of age. At 37, your physical and mental skills will already be waning fast. For example, 99% of professional soccer players have retired by this time.

Now just hold on a minute... There are those of us who have had to wait a while before strapping anything onto our feet and launching ourselves down a mountain - not like you youngsters! and just because we are in our forties (or even fifties) when we start does not automatically mean we are barely able to stand up! I am taking a group of teenge friends of my son skiing/snowboarding at Easter and I know I can wipe the floor with all of them except my son (a skier) who can just about keep up with the boss! So forget the ageism - it's what is in your head that counts and snow sports are a great leveller. And anyway professional footballers are a bunch of girls.
P.S. I would go with the skiing because you can do more with it and you don't end up with a wet bum all day, but really it is whatever rings your bell and you only know that when you have tried both.

It is not agist.

It is biological fact.

After 28, the strength goes, the balance goes, the coordination goes and the spacial vision goes.

Just watch 40+ Maradona, the world's most gifted soccer player, try to kick a ball now. He looks like a loser.

Starting a brandnew sport at such a late age is a tall order.

Skiing is a tough sport. Snowboarding is easier.

The choice is simple. Trays win.
latest report
To be fair Maradona has been an alcoholic cocaine addict for about the last 20 years.

Could anyone let me know which is the nicer food please: olives, or marmite.

Thanks in advance.
snow report
Have two cats and a dog. None of them like marmite or olives. Haven't asked the goldfish
ski holidays
Quote:

After 28, the strength goes, the balance goes, the coordination goes and the spacial vision goes.

Not true.

Quote:

True.
snow conditions
Ski forever Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
[quote="Whitegold"]
Peter Smith wrote:
Quote:

Tell that to Sir Ranulph Twistleton-Wykeham-Fiennes.

you dont have to be as fit as a 21 year old to learn to ski, my ski instructor in Winter park was a hell of a lot fitter than me and he's a dash older than 60 !
ski holidays
Well it took me longer to book than expected but did 3 hours today at MK L1&2 (really wish I had booked a full day but I only booked late last night which meant I had to juggle my day enough as it was)

It was really good, instructor was great, I was surprised how easy it was to pick it up, I had prepared myself for a lot of falling over but managed to stay upright all morning. Our group was a big mix of ages early 20's to into 60's and all of them bar one guy picked things up really quickly.

Really pleased I tried skiing, the boarding lessons were going on too, a lot of stressed faces BUT as they picked it up clearly they enjoyed it more and more. Quite different learning curves!

So my plan.....

Maybe try to fit in L3&4 @ MK before I fly on the 9th to Whistler - actual skiing might be limited due to some work commitments whilst there but snowmobile and zipline trips planned anyway. When I get to the other side at least 7 days at Crabbe - they have a bar and wifi so I can work for a few hours a day and ski the rest of the time. 1 hour private tuition each day too I hope.

And when I get back, definitely going to give snowboarding ago - gives me plenty of options then for future trips if I enjoy both, but for now really looking forward to the skiing.

Once again thanks for all the comments, will post again once I get back from CA.
ski holidays
Whitegold wrote:
Peter Smith wrote:
Quote:

It is not agist.

It is biological fact.

Just watch 40+ Maradona, the world's most gifted soccer player, try to kick a ball now. He looks like a loser.

Starting a brandnew sport at such a late age is a tall order.

The choice is simple. Trays win.

Are you genuinely stupid or just working up to wilfully ignorant? I'd love to see the reference material that tells us that we've all become virtually decrepit at 29. Our bodies and facilities do BEGIN to degrade in our mid-twenties, this is a SLOW and GRADUAL process and with a healthy and active lifestyle (illness and injury excluded) the speed of our decent into decrepitude can be slowed to a crawl. The curve grows exponentially post about 60 for most people.

Choosing a self-indulgent, drunken, drug addict with a self-confessed lack of will-power just demonstrates that no amount of gift or skill will overcome gross stupidity and illustrates that while you may be able to write, spell and punctuate, that doesn't mean that you've not produced utter and bigoted shoite.

And having undertaken the process of learning to board and ski, I will unequivocally state that 'first steps' are by far less generally physically demanding on ski's than on a board. The simple fact that skiing is bipedal should penetrate the skull of even the most juvenile of dickheads rolling eyes
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Whitegold, my, you do talk some complete b0llocks don't you? Laughing
latest report
Whitegold, Mrs Chris learnt to ski in her late 40's. I can quite confidently say, that if you tried to race her down a very steep pitch, thigh deep in snow, you would be a loser!
ski holidays
Masque, spoken like a true 40 something ish .... Confused Laughing

the reality though is whilst you can start anything at any age, it is easier when younger
ski holidays
Don't listen to anybody. Telemark is the past and the future.
Gotta run, have a appointment to get my other knee checked out by the doc rolling eyes Crying or Very sad
latest report
When my kids started I made them ski first, thought if they learnt to board first they wouldn't want to ski. The lad pestered me for years to let him board so once his skiing wasn't too bad I let him. He picked it up quickly, probably due to his time on skateboards, he was soon in the parks on half pipes, jumping etc. he spent two seasons on the board and then out of the blue said he wanted skis back on. Said he felt he got more of a 'buzz' from the skis as it was harder to learn the bits he wanted to do. Said he enjoyed 'a blast' more on skis too. He hasn't been on a board since, the daughter wants to try boarding this year and the lad has said he might have a day or so with her if she does. Nice to be able to do both I suppose!

Seems to me that a lot of the Brits are still stuck in the 'boarding is cool' camp, especially the aging group that are trying to hang on to their youth wink while the kids are now finding out that with carvers, fatties, twin tips etc. and the skill needed in the parks and off-piste with skis they can really up their wow factor on the planks rather than the tray snowHead
ski holidays
Although I think boards are in their element off piste (and I get the impression you will be playing off piste quicker if you board than if you ski), extensive off piste skiing in Europe will involve long traverses and flat paths that need poling/skating skills (all of which conditions are almost imposssible to deal with for a boarder). Much of the off piste can be accessed by going off the back or taking off ski or board and simply walking a bit, but even if you do not get into proper touring you will need occasionally to skin up something to get to good snow and to otherwise inaccessible valleys and you cannot do this on a board. In the US this is less true if you stay within bounds but back country skiing will mostly not be available to you if you cannot skin.
The quip about the skier sinking in the off piste is easily countered by hiring broad skis - the best of them are also good on piste and they require no change of style.

It is a difficult ballance of pros and cons. I would certainly back the idea of taking several lessons at each in a snow dome (one won't be enough), but I think you would be better to choose just one for your holiday or you won't get far with either. You will take a while on either to really get up and around the mountain and get the payback of feeling in control. I'm sure you will have lots of fun and be hooked whichever you choose.

I should perhaps say that I am a skier (90% off piste) and have only tried a day on a board. However much fun there is in carving a neat line on a prepared piste, there is something sublime about getting away into wild places where there are no other people or lifts and you are making the first tracks in natural snow. Also after a while (well OK, quite a few years) the pistes will offer few challenges and you will want to try couloirs and steeper slopes and tree skiing. However I am not a keen tourer - I just skin in a limited way occasionally to get to good skiing, I don't really enjoy it enough for itself.
ski holidays
Off piste is where I eventually want to be but some skill to gain first wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy