Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

SKI JACKETS

Poster: A snowHead
I have been researching (and I have probably spent too long doing it) ski jackets. This year I have decided to treat myself to a new jacket and I am totally confused with what is out there. I have looked at North Face, Arc'terryx and Marmot - all of whic are cheaper bought form sites in the US. DOes anybody have experience of Arc'teryx Jackets (I am looking at the Sidewinder) or North Face Surreal or cheaper insulated jacket Saber. I have in the past done skiing in a thermal base layer, a mid layer and my jacket which was goretex but lined Quicksilver (it has done 5 years and looks well dated now). I just don't know which jacket to buy - the Arc'teryx come in some awful colours - I am after very normal colours such as blues. I don't want to spend over $550 ie £275 and cheaper the better as long as quality not compromised - I just think that with Arc'teryx I will have to buy more gear to keep warm underneath? Help wanted!!!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Y'see that's the problem - too much choice and not enough confidence in your own abilities.

What type of skiing are you doing?
If beginner don't spend an arm and a leg - TK Maxx, Primark, CostCo etc.......
If you got the bug then push the boat out a bit. Again look at TK Maxx but consider the lower ranges at SnR, EB etc.. (Columbia)
If a really powder hound then go for Schoffel, Spyder et al.

What have you worn before? Was it good enough (warm, dry, comfortable)?

Don't hang your hat on a brand name if you don't need to.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
[WILLSOM, what type of skiing are you doing?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
WILLSOM, welcome to snowHeads snowHead
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have been skiing for the last 12 years and go for 10 days a year, I have progressed through TX Max standard gear and my current bottoms are Burton cargo Pants and a Quicksilver Jacket, however it has seen better days.
So much choice!!! Just appears to be cheaper over the Internet in the US and Arc'teryx and North Face appear to be half the price compared to Snow and Rock. I am also slighly vain and like to look the part!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
WILLSOM, that makes 2 of us i guess! i have spyder bormio pants which are rediculously comfy (if a little expensive) and some nondescript Killy jacket which is so warm its not even funny so I could recommend both brands however, i have looked at arc teryx and thought they may need a lot of layering and been slightly put off. Welcome to snowHeads aswell snowHead
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have the Sidwinder and its a great jacket. Bomb proof and I love the radio pocket too. The hood is amazing and its so light as well. 3 layer XCR Gortex...I also did the 3 peaks challange in torrential rain in it and not a drop got through. Very pricey, but worth it if you do a lot of skiing. Maybe it is a bit much for 1 week a year however that depends on your own version of what is good value. Cant go wrong though with any of their products.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Do you find you have to layer up with the Arc'teryx Jackets as looking at the TNF Surreal Jacket it has some form of insulation...don't want to spend twice by buying lots of layering clothing! It will be used mainly for skiing and the odd weekend walking.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I got a NF summit series for christams which I'll sell when I have found it on the net so I can price it. I am thinking in the region of a £100. It has a windstopper fleece liner, still tagged and is Gore-Tex.....bla bla

Sorry about the pimp.

The sidewinder hard shell jacket has a neck zip which goes to the side which is typical of arcteryx's good design thinking, It will be XCR or this year's Pro-shell which are advancement's in the shell-face fabric. You will indeed need a mid layer of around 200tog depending how warm you run. Under that you'll need micro fleece whcih you would have to buy anyway.

North Face Freethinker is on the same lines.

You could use Gore-Tex paklite which is a lighter shell and cut out useless things like the powder skirt....unless you don't have bibbed pants. The best time to buy is of course, end of season and if you stick to Blues and Reds they'll be wearable for as long as you like..and these clothes should last. Arcteryx and most of the big brands produce in China now...although U.S stuff can still be made in Canada...

Also, I have had some U.S pants shipped over and even adherreing to the Manufacturers sizing chart they are pretty roomy... a Large U.S, ie 36 waist, will swamp you unless you are tubby so I don't trust the sizings..!!!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
JT wrote:
I got a NF summit series for christams which I'll sell when I have found it on the net so I can price it. I am thinking in the region of a £100. It has a windstopper fleece liner, still tagged and is Gore-Tex.....bla bla

Which one is it and what size is it as I could be interested if it is medium.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
WILLSOM wrote:
I don't want to spend over $550 ie £275
hope you're not forgetting freight, import duty and VAT. The delivery man will demand a cheque from you at the point of delivery. Your $550 will grow quite a bit. I'm not up-to-date on the duty but, a guess, could be up to $150 ish on top.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Bode Swiller wrote:
WILLSOM wrote:
I don't want to spend over $550 ie £275
hope you're not forgetting freight, import duty and VAT. The delivery man will demand a cheque from you at the point of delivery. Your $550 will grow quite a bit. I'm not up-to-date on the duty but, a guess, could be up to $150 ish on top.

only if it actually gets charged, there is no guarantee either way,. worth the risk at the moment with the weak dollar
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
graeme, well, I buy loads of stuff from the US via mail order and I'm always handing over a cheque at the front door - there's no escape. If you mean whether or not you choose to declare stuff at customs when returning from the US, well that's another matter... I certainly don't.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
WILLSOM, Its all about layering for sure. But thats a good thing IMO. I personally really dont like jackets with insulation as you will be too hot sometimes. With layers there is always a solution. On a new just below freezing day I wear a thermal top and a light windproof fleece (Peak Performance) and then the Sidewinder. If its really cold I have another fleece that is thicker or I wear a t shirt on top of the thermal. If its really warm like last year I wear the thermal and a very light top and then the jacket. That seems to take care of all temps.

I got mine from Moosejaw.com

But i'm not sure if they will now ship overseas?????
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I also get stuff from the US and i ship it to a works address and they have never charged - perhaps only a matter of time then! So no escpae from buying at the prices I see in the UK which means Arc'teryx is out of budget!
I think rather than buying large togged fleeces along with and expensive gore tex jacket I should go with the insulated TNF Surreal Jacket...
latest report
plectrum,

I haven't found it online yet.... I'll have another go at home with all the correct details
ski holidays
Bode Swiller,
Quote:

I'm not up-to-date on the duty but, a guess, could be up to $150 ish on top.

I have imported golf equipment from the USA and the tax is vat at 17.5% plus import duty of 6%. Plus whatever the carrier i.e. Royal Mail, Fedex charge for collecting the taxes, usually about £5.
ski holidays
girlfriend got a spyder jacket from china (i think) for my niece for xmas on this web site beltal.com , think its like a chinese version of ebay, we were a bit worried if the site was legit or not and thought we might not get it at all or on time but sure enough the jacket arrived last week and its top quality. as far as we can tell its not a fake. the same jacket is available in the us for approx $300 , we paid a total of $75 inc post and packaging!!! the site is a bit difficult to navigate but its super cheap. dont blame me if you order and get nothing pls as we have only used it once with a very positive outcome but i stress only once!!
latest report
WILLSOM, I'd buy Arcteryx gear if I could afford it! It's certainly very waterproof. I think it's the way they build the seams. Smile

My own gore tex XCR jacket (not Arcteryx) is a bit leaky by comparison, via the pocket zips. Sad
snow conditions
WILLSOM, I use a North Face Freethinker and its great . I dont feel the cold too much and last year I just wore a base layer ( Icebreaker or TNF, neither micro fleece ) with a goretex mtn hardwear vest on top. Never too cold and that was in St.Anton at christmas and Whistler in Jan. If it got really cold I would probably swop the vest for a fleece Smile

I looked at the Arcteryx too but decided I liked the free thinker better Madeye-Smiley As mentioned above layering is the way to go rather than insulated jackets, so much easier to regulate heat and gives more freedom of movement IMO . Love the offset zip too as stops any rubbing on the chin which I have suffered with in the past Sad

I wouldnt have thought you would need to spend much more on gear if you just bought a shell jacket, no doubt you wear a base layer anyway so at the most all you would need is another fleece to go on top. These are easily picked up anywhere, often in sales, but I d be surprised if you dont already own one - failing that a wool jumper Smile
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy