Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help to cure cold backside problem - best thermals?

Poster: A snowHead
Ah, but the thongs only stop you being made cold and clammy by your cotton drawers; the merino ones keep you warm!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Elizabeth B wrote:
Hmm. Difficult choice. £20 for 1 pair of merino boy shorts, or £9 for 2x5 thongs from M&S rolling eyes

But don't all you women love that film - Brief encounters. wink
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
pam w, but the idea is then you can wear the merino long johns and not need shorts underneath!

I would love merino boyshorts but I just couldnt justify them on a cost per wear basis unfortunately and have found that a string is v comfortable and eliminates the cold butt cheek problem Wink
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
haven't read the whole thread, so apologies if advice already given - but howies do fantastic merino cycling short type undies (not boyshorts, longer than that) - currrently reduced in the sale - which have solved the problem for me ... and you wear your ordinary undies underneath so 2 pairs is ample. When it's very cold I wear a pair of their merino 3/4 lenghts over the top; and in the spring I just wear the shorts under my ski trousers.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
poma, Whose sale are these reduced in ?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
howies ...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
poma wrote:
haven't read the whole thread, so apologies if advice already given - but howies do fantastic merino cycling short type undies (not boyshorts, longer than that) - currrently reduced in the sale - which have solved the problem for me ... and you wear your ordinary undies underneath so 2 pairs is ample. When it's very cold I wear a pair of their merino 3/4 lenghts over the top; and in the spring I just wear the shorts under my ski trousers.

Thanks for the pointer, just had a look on their site and I think I've found them - £15 in the sale? Athletic shorts, but it doesn't say what they're made of though. That's the kind of thing I'm after Blush
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
When I used to go skating with my kids, there was an older couple who were beginners and they used to wear tights under their joggers with pieces of 1" thick foam cut to the required shape and pushed into place - reckoned it was warmth and cushioning.

So on that theme:

http://www.dainese.com/eng/articolo.asp?cat=4&nome=IMPACT_SHORT_PLUS&articolo=4879658
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
NewSkier wrote:
When I used to go skating with my kids, there was an older couple who were beginners and they used to wear tights under their joggers with pieces of 1" thick foam cut to the required shape and pushed into place - reckoned it was warmth and cushioning.

So on that theme:

http://www.dainese.com/eng/articolo.asp?cat=4&nome=IMPACT_SHORT_PLUS&articolo=4879658

Blimey, the Robocop look wasn't quite what I had in mind! Maybe I should go for the tights and foam, I could drop a couple of handwarmers down there as well Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

I could drop a couple of handwarmers down there as well

In view of the suggested 'location' of these can I suggest that you don't get the ones that are powered by a naked flame, esp. if you've had beans on toast for lunch Laughing
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Picadilly, Check other fattie areas of the body. If they are also cold then possibly it is a circulation problem with blood vessels constricted to conserve heat and thus far away from the thicker areas. Try eating more on the mountain energy bars, chocolate, nuts etc. It also may be that the chairlifts just had a thin layer of ice on them!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Picadilly wrote:
NewSkier wrote:

So on that theme:

Blimey, the Robocop look wasn't quite what I had in mind! Maybe I should go for the tights and foam, I could drop a couple of handwarmers down there as well Madeye-Smiley

I've got those Dainese impact shorts & they are considerably warmer when sitting on a chair or button lift.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
This is easy.....head into your local JJB (or sports store) and pick up a pair of Under Armour (Coldgear) shorts and you're sorted. Canterbury & Rugbytech also similar products which will do more or less the same job but I feel Under Armour are the market leader. Under Armour tops also are now almost essential pieces of underkit, I don't care what anyone says they are by far the best baselayer you can buy.

The amount of folk I've pointed in the direction of their products and have come back to me delighted with my suggestion, I could nearly get a reps job for them....or if they're reading this please feel free to send me loads of free stuff!!!!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Cotswold's have a sale on at the moment, £30 for Helle Hansen thermal top and bottoms. I'm a massive fan of Helle Hansen and have used them in some pretty extreme conditions (not skiing related) down to -30c.

I personally believe that you need to insulate your entire body to ensure that an extremity, in this case your back bottom, doesn't suffer.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
That should read Helly Hansen!
ski holidays
Picadilly,

Claim no expertise in women's ski underware but principles should be the same!

A couple of years I go I switched from cotton trunks (you know, close fitting stretch boxer shorts) to thermal trunks (e.g., Helly Hansen Lifa shorts or merino wool shorts). It makes a big difference. It's not that the cotten actually needs to get really damp, it just it doesn't wick away the small amount of sweat that leaves your skin clammy and conducts heat away from your skin. You need to wear them instead of regular underwear not on top of it! By the way, merino wool really is miraculously unsmelly compared to synthetics.

I tend to wear merino boxers, then 3/4 length long johns, then goretex shell pants (not insulated) on top.

I found this site which looks good although I haven't used their products:
http://www.divideandconker.co.uk/site/merino_wool_base_layers_shop.php?

As an alternative, my wife has some light weight fleece tights (Helly Hansen I think) which easily fit under sallopettes

J
latest report
Loads of great suggestions here, thanks guys. I don't know why the backs of my legs/bum get so cold, considering my ski trousers have a really warm lining. They used to be my dads (he was very skinny!) and he was never cold in them, it's just me. I must have poor circulation or low energy levels or something. I probably don't eat enough when I'm skiing because I'm worried I won't burn it all off.

Anyway, I will definitely look into all these ideas. I'm thinking Merino wool pants, and maybe those Under Armour ones from JJB.
ski holidays
Picadilly, I always have a cold bum, on or off slope, so I've learned to live with it Confused Have to say I'm with Megamum re thongs - find them dreadfully uncomfortable.
latest report
eng_ch, Glad to know I'm not alone - I haven't tried any yet, as I didn't go in any shops selling underwear when I was shopping last week - they still look uncomfortable to me.
latest report
Hi Picadilly, and all the contributers here.

I spotted Jedsters post there, and thought I could contribute, as my partner and I own divide and conker, the site he's refering to. Well, own might not be the right term, we are divide and conker - there's just the two of us. We started trading on the 1st of december after getting the idea whilst on a year away from our real jobs, and currently sell a small range of our own designed merino gear which is made in New Zealand.

Anyway, I obviously would say that our stuff's great, but if anyone does want to give it a try, then we're offering 10% off to anyone who signs up to our members club for the rest of this ski season.

Anyway, thanks to those who already checked us out, if you're anyone's interested in more about us, you can take a look here.

http://www.divideandconker.co.uk/site/the_divide_and_conker_story.php

Thanks
Rob
snow conditions
Picadilly, how about these HH boxers with your longer ones on top?

http://www.bigbluemountain.com/showproduct/532/
snow report
dazman, Although Under Armour is good, have some of their tops myself, bought from the States before they even thought of coming here wink Peak Performance is better - was told this by a gent selling Under Armour in NA. Shocked

Its more technical and less weight for better performance. I would still rate Merino up there though rather than synthetic fibres but thats personal choice Smile
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy