Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help to cure cold backside problem - best thermals?

Poster: A snowHead
For the last few ski holidays I've suffered really badly with a freezing cold backside. This never happened in the past, so I don't know why - maybe my circulation has got worse or maybe it's just been extra cold!

My ski trousers are White Rock, with a nice fleecy lining so they should be really warm, but I had to wear thermals under them as well - and my bum was STILL cold Sad

What I'm after is a pair of really thick thermal pants in the style of cycling shorts - but where could I find them?

Can you get them in merino wool?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

maybe it's just been extra cold!
if you skied in Europe in 2006/7 it probably wasn't freezing cold. Just one suggestion - don't know if it would work - shorty wet suit pants, neoprene. But personally, I always wear thermals under my ski trousers, once it's chilly. You might need nice long top half thermals as well, with a good overlap so no cold air getting in round the waist. You're not a snowboarder who spends a lot of time sitting on the piste, are you? If not, maybe your trousers are not waterproof any more, and you're getting a damp backside on chairlifts. Or are you attempting something too difficult, wetting yourself and then cooling by evaporation?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Wouldn't it be a good idea to keep your core temperature up so there a bit more blood flowing to your extremities? Sticking an extra layer on my body has a remarkable effect on keeping my toes warm.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
That's the weird thing, the top half of my body is as warm as toast - no cold air around the waist. I'd be too hot with any more layers..

No I'm not a snowboarder, how VERY dare you Wink

Trousers are only a couple of seasons old and they're definitely waterproof.

This holiday I did have freezing feet though (as discussed in the leaky boots topic) which didn't help. Hopefully that problem's solved now.

pam w, I like the idea of neoprene shorts, didn't think of that!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
In some salopettes and jacket combinations you can get a cold bum sitting on chair lifts because the powder skirt rides up at the back, exposing a builder's bum at the back, and letting it get cold.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
1 piece thermals are great, use them on my bike and in the snow
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Kramer wrote:
In some salopettes and jacket combinations you can get a cold bum sitting on chair lifts because the powder skirt rides up at the back, exposing a builder's bum at the back, and letting it get cold.

Aha, not a problem for fartbag wearers! (Clutching at straws here...) wink Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Kramer wrote:

There's no builder's bum problem lol.

It is sitting on chairlifts which is part of the problem though, because the backs of my legs are freezing too, which is why I'm thinking I need some really warm, padded shorts to wear under my ski trousers.

I'm currently looking at 1mm neoprene shorts online which might do the trick..unless I can find anything warmer?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
How about an extra pair of standard undies?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
They need to go down to above the knee though for when I'm sitting on chairlifts - none of my standard undies are quite that long!!! Laughing
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

I'm currently looking at 1mm neoprene shorts online which might do the trick..unless I can find anything warmer?
2 mm?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Picadilly, Got a granny that's into knitting? Laughing

Seriously I have heard some people on here say that they buy thermals and cut the legs off above the knee and just hem round to stop fraying. Lidl's here were doing some nice cashmere leggings for the sort of price that would make this a less winceworthy job to do than on a dearer pair.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pam w wrote:
2 mm?

Possibly, as long as that wouldn't be too restrictive/bulky

Megamum wrote:

Heheh that's what I need..!

Quote:
Seriously I have heard some people on here say that they buy thermals and cut the legs off above the knee and just hem round to stop fraying. Lidl's here were doing some nice cashmere leggings for the sort of price that would make this a less winceworthy job to do than on a dearer pair.

Hmm, that's worth investigating too...thanks Smile
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Picadilly, I should have added that the Lidl's leggings were actually designed as undergarments/thermals - rather than as fashion items.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Megamum, I use army surplus thermals and have indeed cut off the bottom of the legs (just below the knee) but haven't bothered hemming - they are not a pretty sight but are effective.
latest report
Megamum wrote:

Don't cut off too much, just a Lidl should do. Laughing
latest report
Ok this is probably TMIPicadilly, but I used to suffer with exactly the same problem a freezing cold bum but everywhere else was ok and then I realised it only happened when I wore proper knickers under my long johns not when I wore a string Embarassed I think its to do with having the thermal material actually next to your bottom ???
ski holidays
That's interesting! You might be onto something there. I've been wearing 'big' knickers the last few holidays - maybe a thong (for Europe) is the way forward..cheers Smile

geepee wrote:

Don't cut off too much, just a Lidl should do. Laughing

PMSL!!! That Asda be the best pun I've seen all day Wink
ski holidays
Picadilly, LOL you are all too witty on here Smile
snow report
Quote:

proper knickers
yes, if the knickers are cotton, that might be the problem - banish cotton. Gets damp and stays damp.
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Quote:

proper knickers
yes, if the knickers are cotton, that might be the problem - banish cotton. Gets damp and stays damp.

What's wrong with that? Embarassed Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Are you using moisture regulating underwear? So called "layer 1" stuff of the various expensive brands (Odlo, Craft etc)

When your skin gets damp, things get cold quickly. the layer 1 stuf sends moisture away from your skin.
snow report
I have some merino wool Trekmate thermals I bought before Christmas, I left them in UK Evil or Very Mad , so will have to report on their usefulness another time.
snow conditions
Eat loads of beans - warm air central heating will work wonders. Very Happy
snow report
Picadilly, these merino boy shorts are excellent, not cheap, but you only need one pair because they wash and dry in a few hours. I've bought johnQ a couple of the men's version which he uses for skiing and his off-road trial riding in the winter.
snow report
Thanks RachelQ, one pair for a whole week's skiing though? Shocked Can't be doing with washing smalls while I'm on holiday hehe

Ronald, I've always just worn normal underwear, then thermals and ski trousers..I just need some thick short-type things for some decent insulation. I thought I had enough fat on my backside, but obviously not !! Embarassed
ski holidays
Picadilly, have you considered a regular, good old spanking Little Angel
snow report
Quote:

I've always just worn normal underwear
well, if it's cotton, it won't keep you warm once it's damp (to repeat myself) no matter what you wear on top, so maybe try something else? I really like the look of those merino boy shorts, but could I be bothered to wash them every night? Maybe not.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
just looked at the icebreaker site, having googled merino boy shorts. It says "the known record for wearing an Icebreaker non-stop is 196 days". Maybe RachelQ is being over fussy? £20 though. I'm tempted. Better than spanking, anyway.
snow conditions
Just wear a tiny thong under Long johns you get them in a pack from good old m&S the microbfibre ones are v comfy and long johns on top - large microfibre pants and shorts still give chilly buttocks !! not sure whether neoprene shorts might be a bit of a growth environment for some nasties ????
snow report
Quote:

not sure whether neoprene shorts might be a bit of a growth environment for some nasties ????
The first skier with dhobie itch?
snow conditions
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Picadilly, have you considered a regular, good old spanking Little Angel

Thought it might raise a few eyebrows in the lift queue but what the hell I'll give anything a go!

pam w wrote:
well, if it's cotton, it won't keep you warm once it's damp (to repeat myself) no matter what you wear on top, so maybe try something else? I really like the look of those merino boy shorts, but could I be bothered to wash them every night? Maybe not.

Well (sorry for overshare) I never have damp pants!! Basically the bit of your legs/bum that you actually sit on is what gets cold - the back of the thighs. The boyshorts look very nice but aren't really long enough. That's why I'm looking for something in the style of thick cycling shorts. I like the idea of the neoprene, but yeah, might be a bit sweaty!

Maybe I'll try Helen's tiny thong/long johns idea.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sun 30-12-07 22:00; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Oh.....ladies, but surely thongs must be the most uncomfortable underwear ever designed - they look horrendous in terms of design for comfort?
snow report
Far from it - and no VPL Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Megamum, but have you ever worn them?
latest report
Megamum, you need to try them - you won't know you're wearing any! Laughing Laughing Plus of course non of that awful VPL - just make sure the strap doesn't ride up above your trouser waist Shocked
latest report
Well ladies........I'm off shopping tomorrow - I guess I shouldn't condem something without a trial. Laughing
snow report
Megamum, you didn't think that getting into skiing was going to revolutionize your underwear, did you? Is there no stone left unturned here? I have started lusting after merino boy shorts....
latest report
Megamum, good for you! Toofy Grin
snow report
Hmm. Difficult choice. £20 for 1 pair of merino boy shorts, or £9 for 2x5 thongs from M&S rolling eyes
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy