Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

geneva to bourg. things to do?

Poster: A snowHead
we have a day of sight seeing before we ski, landing in Geneva early morning and then travelling to Bourg St Maurice ready to ski next day. Can Anyone recommend anywhere to visit and things to do. I must mention 'er indoors' likes to shop shop shop. wink
Andrew
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
andybabes, The only place which suggests itself for serious shopping is Geneva - though I'm not a shopper (unless you count Go Sport in Annemasse, always worth a visit!) so I can't give any specific advice. A day shopping in Geneva would be my idea of a waste of time, indeed although the lakeside is quite pleasant, I have always found Geneva a bit of a waste of time altogether, the times I've had to "kill time" there. Maybe I just don't know where to go, but it seems a rather dull city, given that I don't want to buy a watch. Will you have a car? There are some very pleasant visits you could make en route between Geneva and Bourg (scope out some ski resorts for future visits, perhaps?) though shopping would not feature too highly in most of them, unless your partner wants to add to her collection of whistling marmottes.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Half day in Annecy? Or drive straight through to BSM and grab a couple of extra hours skiing?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
andybabes, You could go for a bus ride to La Clusaz, which by chance is on 1/2 hour from Geneva and lo and behold the bus ticket includes a day skiing. Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

http://www.laclusaz.com/index.jsp?c=62833
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rob@rar, Great minds think alike, fools...... Laughing Laughing Fly to Geneva and waste a day shopping................ Shocked Shocked
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rob@rar, pam w, we have car and will probably drive to resort for a look, doesnt have to be a shopping trip we are willing to consider anything interesting to see or go

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sun 30-12-07 8:40; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
gwaelod wrote:
Fly to Geneva and waste a day shopping................

Nah, I don't think so. More to life than spending every single hour on the slopes.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rob@rar, Until 3 or 4 years ago I would have disagreed with that but these days ............ Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rob@rar, boredsurfin,

So speak the guys with a place out there that ski an awful lot of the season. Remember the majority of skiers get 6 days (we get 9) per annum on the slopes. The chance of grabbing a 7th shouldn't be missed Laughing
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
gwaelod, but even before I was that position it was always good to take a step back from the skiing for an afternoon and do something else. Helped keep my enthusiasm for skiing and generally being in the mountains.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w, no, I asked him that question a few weeks ago. Two separate trips. One to La Thuile, one to BSM.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
andybabes, I think your trip to Bourg/Les Arcs is February half term? If you arrive early on the Saturday my advice would be to get to the resort as soon as you can, certainly at least as far as Bourg. The traffic that day will be very heavy and if you dawdle en route you will probably spend more time than you'd like in a big traffic jam approaching the Tarentaise valley and up to BSM.

Also, did you decide what to do for parking when you're in Les Arcs? I noticed yesterday that just about all the car parks here seemed full, and it will be the same in half-term. Worth booking a space ahead of time to guarantee easy parking.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Sun 30-12-07 9:22; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rob@rar, yes, just found out - sorry for diversion! I agree with you that, en route BSM, a stop at Annecy and the Lake would be a good bet. There's nothing worth doing in Alberville or Moutiers (sweeping statement...). Though I've always fancied having a look at Bonneval - would that be worth a short detour?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w, never been to Bonneval, although Albertville town centre is pleasant enough with a range of cafes and bars. But Annecy is lovely, so that would be my choice.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I agree, Annecy is lovely.
snow report
From Annecy, if not in a hurry, I would go down to Ugine via the east - quieter - bank of the lake. there are some delightful lakeside spots to stop for a coffee.
snow conditions
andybabes, I agree with above, Lake and town of Annecy are well worth a visit. Quite beautiful cant tell you about shopping though as I would tend to sit by lakeside and have a coffee, while Mrs RH would wander around shops.

Enjoy yourself.
latest report
Another vote for Lac d'Annecy and Annecy itself (which has some good shops.)
snow report
A bit of a tangent but you could have a look around CERN, always fancied it but never had the time.
snow conditions
If the trip is within a French school break I would follow rob@rar advice and head for Boug first.

Annecy is a nice to visit but shopping wise the commercial centre at Albertville (virtually on the other side of Albertville old town at the roundabout to Tarentaise Valley) is quite reasonable.

I wouldn't go up La Clusaz because the road down to Flumet/Ugine side is utterly dangerous if there is snow, even with a 4x4.
ski holidays
Quote:

shopping wise the commercial centre at Albertville (virtually on the other side of Albertville old town at the roundabout to Tarentaise Valley) is quite reasonable.
there's a big Decathlon, which is a good bet if there are any gaps in your ski clothing and equipment. And you can buy any number of Ponderous Pine sideboards. The Vieux Campeur is a great shop to have a potter around. But most of the shops are things like DIY shops and supermarkets, not very interesting; I can't imagine any woman with access to decent shops in the UK being very excited about the range of clothing or shoes on sale in Albertville, for example. The antiques warehouse Troc de L'ile (renamed Croc of Sh*t in our household) is good for a laugh on a really wet, miserable, afternoon, if you're really desperate.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy