Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Are the Tarentaise resorts 'overcooked'?

Poster: A snowHead
Frosty the Snowman, ...mmh it was a year ago ..... I only did Wengen and PSB drinks-trolleying in between ... loads of other things as well made Zermatt great ...Helen Beaumont, you still in SC?

I'll do a Gstaad update post tomorrow as I have to go shopping now. Unbelievable, for such a low area ( edit - skiing that is , not shopping which is a pita equally the world over).

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 29-12-07 16:49; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
PJSki wrote:
rob@rar, in my opinion, they groom more, the terrain parks are better and the tree skiing nicer. Also, it's been a while since I've been to Les Arcs, but I don't remember any patrolled and protected trails through wooded areas that had had the trees thinned and dangers marked, like you have in Whistler.

I prefer my trees au naturel - really not sure about glading slopes to make it easier for skiers. In Europe skiing through trees is off-piste, so they are not patrolled. Skiers have to take personal responsibility for their actions. I don't think that makes either option better than the other, just different. Les Arcs has plenty of tree skiing, piste and off-piste. The grooming in Les Arcs seems good enough to me - I'm not sure what more they could do. One of the things I like about the resort is that a fair number of the pistes are left to develop without the assistance of piste-bashers for those people who don't like their skiing brutally groomed.

While there may well be differences between piste skiing in Les Arcs and Whistler (having never been I'm not in a position to say for certain), I'm not convinced that you can say that one resort is significantly better than the other for piste skiing. But all this willy waving is rather unedifying - I was simply responding to the comment that piste skiing here is 'bland'. It isn't.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
PJSki wrote:
But best in the world? Bollox, in my opinion Toofy Grin

I didn't say it was the best. I said it was second to none. I think there are a large number of world-class resorts for piste skiing, Les Arcs being one of them.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
rob@rar wrote:
PJSki wrote:

I didn't say it was the best. I said it was second to none. I think there are a large number of world-class resorts for piste skiing, Les Arcs being one of them.

rob@rar, Excellent recovery, but not how I read it Laughing
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rob@rar, ok, so Whistler offers safe, gladed skiing, which Les Arcs doesn't. That makes for more varied on-piste skiing, in my opinion.

Quote:
I'm not convinced that you can say that one resort is significantly better than the other for piste skiing.

Having been to both, it is my opinion that Whistler is better.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
PJSki, "Second to one" then wink
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
rob@rar wrote:
PJSki wrote:

rob@rar, Excellent recovery, but not how I read it Laughing

That's a shame, because that's most certainly what I meant.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
PJSki wrote:
rob@rar, ok, so Whistler offers safe, gladed skiing, which Les Arcs doesn't. That makes for more varied on-piste skiing, in my opinion.

Quote:
I'm not convinced that you can say that one resort is significantly better than the other for piste skiing.

Having been to both, it is my opinion that Whistler is better.

I'm glad you like it there.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
PJSki, "Second to one" then wink

At least. wink
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
rob@rar, thanks. Trouble is, too many other people like it there too.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
PJSki, did you know he also has an iPhone wink

rob@rar, There is no disgrace in having a post misinterpreted by Me Embarassed Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
PJSki wrote:
rob@rar, thanks. Trouble is, too many other people like it there too.

That might be due to the quality of the resort. It gets busy here at some times during the season.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rob@rar, There is no disgrace in having a post misinterpreted by Me Embarassed Toofy Grin

I'll try hard to live with that burden Wink
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Frosty the Snowman, a most wonderful item of technology, to be sure. I have a jailbreaked iTouch plus a very small and cheap phone in my pocket at all times. This dual solution is way cheaper than having a single iPhone.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
It's all becoming a bit self absorbed and important here!!
snow report
kevin mcclean, I think the consensus of those posting (so far), was that the Tarentaise resorts have faults, but dull piste skiing is not one of them.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 29-12-07 17:09; edited 1 time in total
snow report
I don't know how they compare now but for a long time the mega-resorts in the Tarantaise were better than the Swiss and Austrian resorts for lift queues, because (being built from nothing) the ballance of beds to lift capacity was better.
snow conditions
PJSki wrote:
Frosty the Snowman, a most wonderful item of technology, to be sure. I have a jailbreaked iTouch plus a very small and cheap phone in my pocket at all times. This dual solution is way cheaper than having a single iPhone.

I picked up my iPhone for cheaper than an iTouch. wink

And I'm completely under the impression that if you don't like skiing in the Tarentaise then don't do it! It's not like anyone is forcing you to spend money on a holiday here..

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sat 29-12-07 17:14; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
kevin mcclean wrote:
It's all becoming a bit self absorbed and important here!!

One of the delights of snowHeads is that we have many and varied interests, so if someone comes along with a big spoon it's bound to churn up some personal interests Smile
ski holidays
Agenterre wrote:
Frosty the Snowman, ...mmh it was a year ago ..... I only did Wengen and PSB drinks-trolleying in between ... loads of other things as well made Zermatt great ...Helen Beaumont, you still in SC?

I'll do a Gstaad update post tomorrow as I have to go shopping now. Unbelievable, for such a low area ( edit - skiing that is , not shopping which is a pita equally the world over).

Yes, we are in SC until next Friday.
ski holidays
I haven't been to Whistler, but I have skied Fernie BC, where most of the pistes seemed to be marked at the top only, your route down from there was pretty much up to you. I don't know if Whistler is set up the same way. They always talk in terms of Acreage for a resort rather than Km of pistes like in Europe.
I have skied extensively in Les Arcs both on and off-piste and IMO it is up there with the very best, especially it's piste skiing. The tree skiing and off-piste is as easy or extreme as you want, with some fabulous off-piste routes available.
I'd certainly say the lift systems in the French mega resorts are the best in the World, N. America doesn't even come close.
snow report
Spikyhedgehog wrote:
PJSki wrote:

I picked up my iPhone for cheaper than an iTouch. wink

And I'm completely under the impression that if you don't like skiing in the Tarentaise then don't do it! It's not like anyone is forcing you to spend money on a holiday here..

Sorry, are you addressing me, or just the world in general? I'm more than happy to still ski in the Tarentaise.

As for your iPhone, unless it's cracked, you'll be paying way more than me for the 'i' part of you phone over the life of your contract.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sat 29-12-07 19:13; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Was addressing the thread as a whole. Smile

True, but it's cracked, so I don't. Very Happy
ski holidays
I've been a couple of times to Espace Killy and we found it ace! On tip of this if I went again i would love to try some off piste around Sainte Foy. Yes I agree that Tignes is ugly as sin but to be honest I feel the actual mountain at Tignes before you get up high is pretty ugly.
snow report
Quote:

I feel the actual mountain at Tignes before you get up high is pretty ugly.
I have the same feeling (and about Val D'Isere, too). No mountain is exactly ugly, but I don't think anyone would go to the Espace Killy for the scenery. It can be very bleak.
latest report
PJSki wrote:
I'm more than happy to still ski in the Tarentaise.

Very Victor Meldrew Confused
snow conditions
gwaelod, jesus, it's a simple statement. This site is about as friendly as a Nazi concentration camp. Skullie
snow report
Just to prove there's nowt so queer as folk, this is TripAdvisors list of "the worlds top 10 ski resorts" Les Deux Alpes - I ask you.... It reminds me of that old joke... 1st prize a week for two in Les Deux Alpes! 2nd prize a fortnight for two in Les Deux Alpes...

1. La Plagne, France

2. Obertauern, Austria

3. Kranjska Gora, Slovenia

4. Ortisei, Italy

5. Kiruna, Sweden

6. Canazei, Italy

7. St. Wolfgang, Austria

8. Champery, Switzerland

9. Zermatt, Switzerland

10. Les Deux-Alpes France
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
That looks like a top list but Les Deux Alpes......
snow report
kevin mcclean, er.... you like La Plagne then after all rolling eyes
ski holidays
PJSki, maybe it might have been a tad more friendly if you hadn't insulted everyone in sight, especially poor wee Donna, the PRH. Puzzled And suggested that rob@rar was pimping his chalet in praising the Les Arcs skiing.
snow report
Er, no....er, it's a fair cop, guv! Actually, I think the list is a bit of a mickey take but there is nothing ironic about LDA-it's rancid!
snow report
'Champery' at 8 ...give us all a break ...... It's the Ski-resort hotel-lovers top-ten list.... ( at best !!)
snow report
PJSki wrote:
gwaelod, jesus, it's a simple statement. This site is about as friendly as a Nazi concentration camp. Skullie

Now more Alf Garnett Shocked Laughing
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
PJSki, maybe it might have been a tad more friendly if you hadn't insulted everyone in sight, especially poor wee Donna, the PRH. Puzzled And suggested that rob@rar was pimping his chalet in praising the Les Arcs skiing.

Poor Donna's boyfriend, Kev, tried to punch me and a month later I found out the dirty slag had given me the clap! Mind you, that was in 1989, so maybe I should forgive and forget? As for rob, I think the gentleman doth protest his innocents too much. Laughing wink
latest report
PJSki wrote:
As for rob, I think the gentleman doth protest his innocents too much. Laughing wink

I think you'll find that I didn't protest my innocence at all - perfectly understandable for a newby like you to think I'm bigging up the resort, so I didn't respond to your accusation.
snow report
rob@rar, actually you're right. The level of your response was pitched just right as to be believable - good work.
snow conditions
PJSki wrote:
rob@rar, actually you're right. The level of your response was pitched just right as to be believable - good work.

Thank you. My reasonableness is all part of a master plan to have everyone in the world want to ski in Les arcs and stay in my little apartment rolling eyes
latest report
rob@rar, all helped by the fact you have some of the best piste skiing in France, although some of it is rather bland, in my opinion.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Sun 30-12-07 13:03; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Is this the 30 minute argument, or the full half century?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy