Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

My new skis

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I bought a pair of Volkl Unlimited Ac 30 Titanium skis today, based on hiring some Ac's in Andorra last year, raving about them and also from reviews in the Daily Mail mag. These will now replace my much loved Rossignol Open 300 TDI's, which I am giving to my wife as I have moved on in the three years since I bought them. The thing is, the Rossis were 162 and the Volkl's are 170. I don't think I'll notice the difference and I'm sure my hire ones last year were this length. Any thoughts Puzzled BTW, got them for just over £300, delivered from Germany, off ebay Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
BTW, hello to everyone. This is my first post Smile Smile Smile
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Madders, Hello and welcome to Snowheads. snowHead I don't think you will notice much of a difference with the size. Have fun on them Very Happy

snowHead
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Cheers bud. You have the 'honour' of being the 1st person to reply to one of my posts Smile
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Madders, welcome to snowHeads!!!

I am a huge Volkl fan, and like you have just bought a new pair (although I went for the Tigershark 10FT). Mine are longer than my last pair (168cm as opposed to 163cm) and for me they are perfectly fine. There's not another ski I've tried over 165cm that I have been anywhere near as in control or comfortable skiing on, so the length shouldn't be a problem (unless you've got hilariously short legs... Shocked ).
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
mate i got some AC's last year and loved em. Can't wait till i am back out thereon them. good luck
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Cheers guys and thanks for the replies. The Rossis were fine for me at first but as I grew in experience and ability, I found I needed more. The thing that worried me about the Rossis is how they used to 'chatter' across the snow at high speed whereas the Volkls I hired last year, didn't suffer with this. Also hoping to find it easier with these on non-pisted snow ie powder (I hope), crud and choppy off piste. I found the grip on the Volkls amazing BTW. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Madders, im a big fan of volkls too having tried them from Salomon xscreams , found they were great in off piste and crud , very easy to ski on and quick.
Im using basically the same ski as yourself. Have never found them to chatter on piste and as you say the edge grip is good Smile

Im using a 177, after being talked out of the 184 which I wanted. Really pleased I went for the shorter ski as it helps me in trees Smile

Surely tho rather than give your wife your old skis you would be better buying her some new ones too so she can follow and keep up with you. Thats what I ended up doing rolling eyes well worth the expense too wink
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Madders, Welcome to the madhouse.

I don't know much at all about skis, but I've become very interested in this concept of the various lengths of ski. From what I've read many folks claim that 5cm is barely noticeable unless you're skiing the bases off of the skis, so on the basis 8cm isn't much bigger than 5cm I doubt you'll notice much difference either. For the purposes of this research - I shall be interested if you report back on progress at some point.

Enjoy your new skis
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Bones, my wife ain't that kind of gal I'm afraid and would ski on floorboards if needs be. She basically lacks confidence and motivation or desire to improve and is happy bimbling around on blues with the me and the children. They do ski school am, I go off and play then we ski as a family after lunch. I then have a week away with my friends were we do ski hard up to blacks and off piste. I'm quite confident on these and any steeps, only struggling in powder and moguls. Thinking about getting a bit of 1 to 1 on this. Megamum, I didn't notice the differnce in length last year, but I don't recall how much longer they were, only that they were longer. I will rememeber your request though and report back when I return from Andorra, which'll be 10th of Feb. I know I will enjoy the Volkls. I picked them ahead of the group winners in the Nov DMSS mag, K2 Apache Raiders and Salomon X-Wing 10s as I was so impressed with the AC's I hired last year, one mans meat being anothers poison and all that. Cant wait now, so excited. Only 36 more sleeps to go. Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy