Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Just watched footage of an indoor snowslope......

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
...and can see why it's great for tricks and learning but not a lot else.

Watching 'riders' (or should it be skiers and boarders-Christ knows!) come off jumps and rails appears all very well but are they actually skiing and boarding? One is reminded of the successful British 'freestylers' of the 1970's who were, in fact, merely 'ok' skiers when it came to it but could bounce off a trampoline and 'iron cross', 'daffy' and the rest of it with the best of them all day and every day.

Today,watching these white middle class rasta types from Surrey with their rizlas puffing away in places like Verbier and St Anton, pulling off their 'phat' jumps on 'da' rails is all pretty familiar and is especially tedious when one has to share a 'chalet' with these types for a week. It does, however, all become very interesting when said 'riders' have to do some 'riding' on the mountain with 'older guests'. Yes, 'skiing' (as opposed to a lot of BS in an homogenised 'rail' park) is very democratising! Did I hear much bragging form 'da riders' for the rest of the week?

Anyhow, the next time some laughable university type in their twenties with their rasta hat on tries to impress you with their rail technique, just ask them out for a normal day's, er, 'freeriding'. Or is it off piste skiing? F**k knows.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
kevin mcclean, I admire the kids who do the tricks - as I admire the little lads who do brave things with their skate boards in our village square, and get moaned at by the same old biddies who spend the rest of the time complaining about kids "these days" who spend all their time watching telly. Doing tricks is different from being an all-mountain skier, and you can't get good at either of them without spending a lot of time at it. If you live near an indoor slope, or a plastic slope, what's wrong with aiming for excellence at the aspects of the sport which are accessible? Some of our snowboarders have achieved world class results. Good for them, I say. It would not be too difficult, if you don't want to spend your week with a load of middle class white rastas from Surrey (and I can't say I blame you) to avoid going to such predictable hangouts as chalets in Verbier or St Anton!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
kevin mcclean, Who cares, they're probably having fun, which is what it's all about Very Happy

snowHead
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
my guess is that you very rarely go in the park.
if that is the case then shut up.

and like the comment above says - if people are having fun thats all that matters.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sharing a chalet often tests one's [in]tolerances.

As annoying as the 'sick dudes' who think they're it may be, they're no more annoying than the belligerent old duffers who think they're a cut above because they still use straight skis or the 'experienced and fit' couple who assume that no-one in the chalet could possibly ski the terrain that they like to do or the scgb members who lord it up because "The ski-club rep showed us some marvellous orf piste today". Then there's that geezer who thinks he's it because he runs some internet forum for skiers rolling eyes

Then again, I like to talk to the 'sick dudes' about rails because secretly, I'd like to be able to do them myself and their enthusiasm is invigorating. I love to talk skis with the straight-edgers because I know that if (or when) they finally dare to try carvers they'll be gob-smacked and suddenly feel 10 yrs younger - I'd love to be there when it happens too - what a buzz. I love it when I spot the fit couple from a lift and catch them up, do a couple of runs with them and share their enthusiasm for the challenge. It's even quite sweet how enthusiastic the SCGB members tend to be about their club and once they realise you probably already know as much about it as they do, they stop trying to sell it to U and start enthusing about the skiing instead.
Still don't know about that dodgy internet geezer though... Wink

Maybe we are being sold short because UK snow slopes are only good for a little bit of freestyle practice but until we get a decent sized snowslope (like the one planned for Suffolk) where we can actually train for slalom, that's all we have and we might as well make the most of it. SnowDomes are as duff or as brilliant as you want them to be. No they're not as good as mountains but did anyone suspect for a moment that they would be? They are though, a lot more fun than going to a gym or jogging if you want to get in a bit of exercise pre-season. And it's better that the kids who are regulars there, are saving up for their next pair of phats rather than blowing their pocket money on cider and alco-pops.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
kevin mcclean, you may feel that the riders in the park lack the skills that YOU have compiled over the years, but then you probably lack THEIR ability to retain form in the air and balance on rails and features. How well do you ski switch for instance?

Neither you nor they are better or worse than the other, you've just learnt different stuff.

That said, watch some of the 'good' people in the park take their skills off-piste and you might reassess their abilities.

I'm off to click my 205 Fishcher R4s into my rear entry boots and ski the fall line with my knees taped together wink
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I sincerely hope the indoor slopes don't end up as merely indoor "parks" as they are such a useful place to spend a few hours learning and practising basic skills so novices like me can make the most of limited time abroad. What I need now however is a far longer slope that's not too steep for my level of confidence, so I can repeatedly practise the things I have learned within my comfort zone, ready to move on and the indoor slope can't give me that - but in 50 days time I will be in the right place! On coming back though, I hope to have new skills that I can again review/practise in a few visits to an indoor slope before the next trip.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
kevin mcclean, bravo. You've not lost your touch. wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy