Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The italien ski resorts (as I see them):

Poster: A snowHead
I reckon in order (considering overall skiing and apres):

Excellent:
sauze d'oulx - the bees knees if you know where and when to go in resort to avoid the english!
madonna di campiglio - pure italien chic and Ferrari!
passo tonale - crazy horse is a great pub/club

Average:
Livigno - the village is too long and skiing hard to get to
champoluc - great vibe, full of sweds but no real apres ski
canazei - not bad but full of Danes - and they are worst than the english
corvara -average

Must try harder:
cervinia - a bit broing - more swiss than italien
bardonecchia - brown pants with yellow trim.
Sestieire - rough as a badgers back bottom

Or you could think differently?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 15-11-04 0:42; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

Sauze d'oulx - the bees knees if you know where and when to go in resort to avoid the english!

went early last season and thought it was excellent. Tons & tons of space to go play in.........i hear it suffers from doughts of snowfall and then tons and when it's snowing everywhere else the clouds tend to circumnavigate around it???..........it was quiet when we went so not sure what you mean about "avoid the English" some of us are quite nice, bear in mind the majority of this forum are as well Wink NehNeh Toofy Grin Loved it so much and the company we went with were going back and taking 10+ mates with us...............any hints and tips for "secret" areas Cool snowHead
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
kezzy1966 wrote:
I reckon in order (considering overall skiing and apres):

Excellant:
passo tonale - crazy horse is a great pub/club

Average:

canazei - not bad but full of Danes - and they are worst than the english
corvara -average

Must try harder:
cervinia - a bit broing - more swiss than italien
Sestieire - rough as a badgers back bottom

Or you could think differently?

The caveat that applies to many Italian resorts is snow conditions.

I would agree that when snow is good Sauze is great. You do not have to go to Andy Capp's bar or whatever the latest equivalent is.

Passo Tonale is a bit small scale. It is really a learners resort for school parties and the like. Excellent ? Not in my book. There used to be a nice little bar called Nico's that gave us all key rings in the shape of Italy. Our hotel was a 1970s monstrosity with orange walls. They used to let us in to the dining room before the kids. I can imagine what it must feel like to be a school teacher on a school trip.

Canazei is on the super ski dolimiti circuit which is magnificent when snow is good. No Danes when I was there and the sheer scale of the place and scenery means I would rate it as excellent. I did not stay in Corvara but the links will be as good as Canazei and that is good enough for me.

Cervinia links in to Zermatt if the weather is right. Snow is top notch and the mountain restaurants are pretty good too.

Sestriere has better snow than Sauze and you can cover the same area. I would have thought the apres would be more to your taste if you thought Sauze too ' English' which I take as code for full of p**s artists.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Dan, re 'avoid the english' : the english are great (being an Irish/Brit-South Londoner myself)
...as long as they are:
1) teaching the world to queue
2) apologising when accidently bumping into people on a high street
3) making real ales
4) running pubs

...but they/we (generally) have issues with:
1) wanting to fight the world after a few lagers
2) not attempting to speak a foreign language
3) not trying the local cuisine
4) not interested in the local culture

But don't take my word for it, next time your in Sauze just trying asking the local English workers what the english are like!

The right strategy for Sauze?
o forget chasing women, none go there!
o sauze does not even think about starting until 11pm!

1) after skiing all day, go to bed for 2-3 hours sleep
2) wake up, have dinner around 7/8pm with lashing of good quality local wine
3) 10pm s**t/shower/shave
4) 11pm cotton club/darby bar
5) 11.30pm check out the irish bar (paddy somethings?) because it would be rude not to
6) mignight+ goto vagga bondi's and get treated like royality as you are 'english' that have found the right bar at the right time. Enjoy their quality live bands and really fast bar staff
7) 3pm start drinking large bottles of water
6) go home at around 4 pm after a great chat with locals and ex-pats workers
7) unless the pizza restaurant is still open
Cool up again at 8am ready for the slopes.

THE ABOVE STRATEGY WORKS FOR AT LEAST 6 WEEKS !

Also:
If you are with the big tour companies, and you have to collect your ski pass from their introduction meeting, make sure you put the ski pass in your trouser pocket immediately. I knew workers who would nick passes out of peoples ski jackets(left on floors/ behind chairs) on the sunday night and sell them on!

LAST POINT: Have a great laugh.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

...but they/we (generally) have issues with:
1) wanting to fight the world after a few lagers
2) not attempting to speak a foreign language
3) not trying the local cuisine
4) not interested in the local culture

to me it sounds more like you're describing Chamonix, mind you it was quiet when we were in Sauze, this time i'm guessing it'll be a little different.

When we were there last, i spent about 2 hours talking to one of the Italian bar men in Paddy McClintys (- i think that's what it was called????). I was wearing my Tigers top ( Wink sorry if you're a Munster/Ulster supporter NehNeh ), anyway he thought i played for them ( rolling eyes ) and wanted to know about the team etc, after eventually explaining in French (my Italian is very basic, but I try..) that i didn't play for them just supported them, we a had a great chat about rugby and Italian rugby.

....are you working out there Puzzled
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Courmayeur's quite nice, but I found the mountain restaurants disappointing.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
can you expand a little on Bardonecchia? I'm off there in eight weeks time for a week.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
no_snow_in_swindon wrote:
can you expand a little on Bardonecchia? I'm off there in eight weeks time for a week.

me too
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I thought there was absolutely no 'real' night life in Bardoneccia. I found one bar (at the top end of the high street?) which had potiential (right bar layout, nice staff etc...) but even that did not get going. I think the problem is that it is a real working town and not just a tourist village.

Suggest one night you get a cab to Sauze (at say 8pm) and get it to pick you up again at say 3am. It is about 15-20 mins away if I remember rightly. I think it was about £15'ish return ???
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I thought there was absolutely no 'real' night life in Bardoneccia. I found one bar (at the top end of the high street?) which had potiential (right bar layout, nice staff etc...) but even that did not get going. I think the problem is that it is a real working town and not just a tourist village.

Suggest one night you get a cab to Sauze (at say 8pm) and get it to pick you up again at say 3am. It is about 15-20 mins away if I remember rightly. I think it was about £15'ish return ???
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Observations:

Sauze's lift system is sh*te, Sestriere's is way better.

Canazei and nightlife are virtually mutually exclusive.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
laundryman, best two (IMHO) are the ones at the top and bottom of the Zerotta chair. They are a mix though - not surprising when there's so many there for the size of the resort. There's a few I've not been to for a while though.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Spelling Police here. Reading the way you spell Italien I thought you were German, certainly not English/Irish. Are you sure? Razz
And, it's Bardonecchia not Bardoneccia. (if you want to have an idea how cch is pronounced, well, something like kk.
As for the "top list" well, everyone it's entitled to have personal opinions...
I personally rate higher what you have rated lower...I spend one week each yeatr in Colfosco...and have friends in Champoluc, plus I am close enough to Passo del Tonale to afford it for a day trip.
One suggestion, which is coming too late anyway, since the draft has been suspended and Italy has now a professional army too.
When in Passo del Tonale, try to make friends with the Alpini (soldiers, mountain troops) quartered there...
Some of them will be more than happy to take you skiing along and show you the secrets of the place, you only need a nice girl to volunteer as sacrifice (or bait)
Of course you and her will need to master the Italian language and many of its Northern dialect, maybe some German too.
Ahr Ahr.

As for Apres ski, I don't care about that. In bed by 22.00, I need rest.
Wink
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Matteo, although Passo del Tonale is correct, in England the resort is known as Passo Tonale, without the "del". Count yourself lucky that much is used. I have one friend who despite years of being corrected still refers to it as "Passo", he can't get his head round the idea of the words being in a different order....
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
skanky, thanks for the tip!
snow report
laundryman, there's two at the bottom of the chair, the one with the big terrace is best when it's sunny, but you struggle for a table. Check out the photgraphs inside though. The one at the top (where you can go one down to Zerotta or the other way down to Chercroit) is great if the weather's a tad inclement (the deserts are superb, if the first course a little snack-ish). Go there enough times though and you may start getting the odd gratuitous digestif after the meal. Incidentally, there's an outdoor swimming pool here in the summer, which is nice.

The one at the top of the left-hand chair from Chercroit (it's a bit of a walk) has views of Cervinia/Matterhorn from its balcony. It's reasonable food-wise though I didn't go last time I went there (and haven't been for two-three years), so can't remember exactly how reasonable (there's sometimes an outisde snack-bar or the restaurant inside).

Hmm, got carried away there and some of the info. may be out of date now. But We've generally settled on those three now when we go.
snow report
Matteo, "Bed by 22:00" What the hell is that all about? Tucked up nicely with your horlicks and teddy bear?

(...fuse lit, retreat to some where safe and wait for the explosion Very Happy )
ski holidays
Matt, is colfoso (or as we say we say in souuuth London: 'Colf', on the sella rhonda circuit.

(...and Sella Rhonda is that is not in wales!!!)
snow report
matt, and I should add 'val gardena' as a top skiing resort...
snow report
Quote:

...I spend one week each yeatr in Colfosco...

Lucky devil Smile

Quote:

As for Apres ski, I don't care about that. In bed by 22.00, I need rest.

Are we related?
latest report
kezzy1966 wrote:
Matteo, "Bed by 22:00" What the hell is that all about? Tucked up nicely with your horlicks and teddy bear?

(...fuse lit, retreat to some where safe and wait for the explosion Very Happy )

Eheh Kezzy1966; an auld proverb goeth: "Good family girls (and boys I'll add just to be PC) go to bed early to be home before midnight" wink
And yes, Colfosco is the small village just above Corvara (in fact it's part of the same town council) on the way to Passo Gardena after which lies
Selva. As such it's part of the Sella Ronda. Selva it's a nice town in summer too, the scenery is breathtaking with all the flowers...I prefer smaller, quieter
villages (as Colfosco is) but hey, to each its own, as said! The important thing is that we all enjoy ourselves.

Chris B I don't know, but given that my family name starts with a "b" too...
and the fact that I have (as 97 % of Italians, Irish, and others migrant peoples) family here and there aorund the world..it may well be wink

nbt your friend may be right after all, local people all around do call
their "own" mountain pass "Passo", the problems start when there's more than one!!!
Also, Passo Tonale and Passo del Tonale are both useable, I was just being a bit too picky, playing devil's advocate for the fun of it.
Cheers!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy