Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Rule of thumb between rain mm and snow cm?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys and gals.

Is their any way to work out how much snow will fall (presuming its cold enough) by looking at the amount of precipitation forecast? Any rules of thumb? say 10mm of rain = 5cm of snow?

This site has forecast 54mm of precipitation tommorrow noon. how much snow would that equate?

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=ski;page=3;type=winter;country=France;resort=Tignes;sess=#forecast

Thanks Very Happy
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Illicit, 10mm of rain = 10cm of lovely cold dry snow!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Depends very much on temperature.
Lower temperatures will give you a better ratio. Temperatures above freezing, which often happens as the transition to snowy weather takes place, will give you lower quantities.

This is waht happens all the time in the UK. Its also one of the reasons why lower slopes get less snow than higher slopes.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for the info guys. Just what i needed to know.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Roughly from 1:5 to 1:20, depending on conditions, at low altitudes say 500M or less with warmer temps 1:5 is a reasonable estimate, at say 3,000M this might be as high as 1:20 at 1500M or there abouts it's usually roughly 1:10
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
that said I suspect that Tignes will get no more than 60mm of snow tomorrow but I could be wrong, Friday however looks a bit more promissing
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Roughly 30cm measured by a man = 8.5cm when measured by a woman.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yeah since i posted that original link its been downgraded a fair bit. 6cms is better than nothing.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Illicit, much as we pore over these things, the quantity of precipitation forecast is always one of the least reliable aspects of this kind of forecast.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
DB, Laughing Laughing Laughing god your generous, my missus is way down on that!!!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy