Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

SSSHHHHH Don't tell ryanair

Poster: A snowHead
We are flying with Ryanair in Jan when we first booked there was only 2 of us and they had an offer off 1p for ski/board carriage so we booked it, now there are 5 going and the ski carriage is as much as the flight Shocked So we are puuting 3 pairs of ski's in 1 bag and 2 boards in an other. wink
Has anyone had any probs doing this snowHead
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Having just paid Ryanair for carriage of my skis next week, I wish you luck. Hope you get one over on the robbing &*@!&^%&s
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
jase2472, I think a lot of people take more than one board/pair of skis anyway, try but not to pack out the bags with too much heavy stuff (snow board bindings etc.), it may give the game away. I have never had my board bag checked for extra boards Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
jase2472, never tried it with ryanair, but you can get away with it on Jet2. Trick is to check in at a time when it's busy and they want to rush you through and they never seem to charge you. Just make sure that the bag is under 32Kg or you'll fall foul of the H&S rules which they do seem to bother about
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've no direct experience of what you're planning, but ryanair have ZERO sense of humour and play strictly by THEIR rules, so it's worth balancing what you are saving against the risks. I would say the big thing to consider is that if you do get rumbled what will happen? if it's only that you have to pay the extra, and you have bags to put the other stuff into, OK, but might they not let you take the extra kit at all?? or worse, cancel your entire booking?? (which thay can then re-sell at big money of course)....
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Have got away with it oncharter flights before, not tried it with Ryanair. However my experience with them on luggage at other times is carp (sic), mainly due to not reading the small print. Paid for 4 bags for a party of 5, but due to weight distribution ended up having to pay excess because 2 of the bags were over 15KG (but overall under the 60KG.

However it seems that it makes a differnce who you get on the check in - on the way out no problems at all (a friendly & chatty Ryanair employee!) just waved it through - on the wy back from Salzburg, a totally different story - the only time she smiled was when she gave me a docket with the excess weight on it. This combined with the perennial scrum to get on has really put me off flying with them, even if it is a really good deal. Still - the people ahead of us had to pay over £200 Shocked - the look on his face said it all.

The thought has crossed my mind as to whether they are targetted on additional income at check in? Anyone know?

Anyway, good luck, but have the credit card ready!

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Fri 28-12-07 11:42; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
jase2472, Check you will find there is a maximum weight ot the bag or a condition of only 1 x pair in a bag. Ryanair are pretty good are wrapping down their T&C's.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
afcbtim wrote:
The thought has crossed my mind as to whether they are targetted on additional income at check in? Anyone know?

Yes wink
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've never had a problems with Ryanair, provided you've paid excess.. whilst there's a nominal 32kg limit, when we checked in at standsted they just chucked a board bag into over-size, never weighed it, never asked what was in it..
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
bertie bassett wrote:
I've never had a problems with Ryanair, provided you've paid excess.. whilst there's a nominal 32kg limit, when we checked in at standsted they just chucked a board bag into over-size, never weighed it, never asked what was in it..

thats what i want to hear wink
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ahh! Looking to get round this by buying a double Sportube for mine and the wifes skis, hoping they wouldn't notice. Would they cotton on? Confused
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I have put 2 sets of skis in one bag with Ryanair many times (perhaps 10+ times) and always got away with it. They are pretty relaxed at the remote airports flying back. The only one to look out for is the flight from Stansted (or other UK airport). Here it's Ryanair's own staff, and they sometimes act as though they are bonused on how much more money they can sting you for. 3 skis might be pushing the weight a bit that the airport baggage handlers will take.

Just be sensible (e.g. don't ask if it's ok) and make it easy for them to process you. At Stansted, the routine is that you check in, they just put a sticker on your ski-bag and a luggage tag, and then you head off to the oversize baggage checkin with it.

I've always been able to max out my baggage allowance (all 15KG of it), and take a full ski bag for my ski carriage.

One thing to watch, is never ask Ryanair people if you can take ski-boots on as hand luggage. They'll say no, even though the airport security people will let you on with them (providing they fit inside the normal size restrictions).
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
red 27 wrote:
I've no direct experience of what you're planning, but ryanair have ZERO sense of humour and play strictly by THEIR rules, so it's worth balancing what you are saving against the risks. I would say the big thing to consider is that if you do get rumbled what will happen? if it's only that you have to pay the extra, and you have bags to put the other stuff into, OK, but might they not let you take the extra kit at all?? or worse, cancel your entire booking?? (which thay can then re-sell at big money of course)....

I agree. Whilst it might be a good idea to do what you are proposing, I would just pay the extra to take the new bags on rather than risk it all going pear shaped at check in. If it does, you will have to pay more money in the long run.

With Ryanair, you do not give them any ammunition to fire back at you...!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
This is what it says in T&C's

''Sporting or musical equipment including but not limited to large fishing rods, golf clubs, bicycles, scooters, fencing equipment, surfboards, bodyboards, snowboards and skis and large musical instruments including but not limited to harps, double bass and drums are inherently unsuitable for carriage by airlines operating fast turnarounds such as Ryanair. However these items may be carried in the hold of the aircraft in addition to your personal checked baggage allowance upon payment of an additional charge of £15.50/€22.50 per item, per one way flight via www.ryanair.com or £20.50/€30 per item, per one way flight at the airport or through a Ryanair call centre. Smaller musical items such as a guitar, cello, violin or viola which exceed our cabin baggage dimensions may be carried in the cabin if a seat for it has been reserved and the appropriate fare paid. There is no checked baggage allowance associated with the purchase of an extra seat.

For health and safety reasons Ryanair does not accept for carriage any individual item exceeding 32 kilos or with combined dimensions of more than 81cms (height), 119cms (width) and 119cms (depth). This weight limit does not apply to mobility equipment.''

So if I have read it correct as long as it is below 32 kgs each bag we are ok
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Good luck to Ryanair.

They initially suckered everyone in with cheap headline-prices.

Now many are hooked, they are nudging total-prices back up.

An obvious but shrewd strategy.
snow report
Yes but we got our ski carriage for 1p it was an offer NehNeh
ski holidays
jase2472 wrote:
upon payment of an additional charge of £15.50/€22.50 per item, per one way flight

So does that mean that they could technically charge you per ski rather than per bag?
snow report
jase2472 wrote:

So if I have read it correct as long as it is below 32 kgs each bag we are ok

Yes, as long as you don't mind paying excess baggage for any checked bags weighing over 15Kg.

Quote from their T&C:

Quote:
Any passenger exceeding their 15kg personal checked baggage allowance will be charged for the excess at the currently applicable rate of £5.50/€8 per kilo (or local currency equivalent.

But - the T&C aren't very clear re ski gear (surprise, surprise), there is nothing to say that your weight allowance increases for ski gear after paying the £15.50 fee each way, and nothing to say it doesn't.

The 32Kg they quote is the standard Health and Safety limit that has to be adhered to by all airlines - note the max dimensions quoted in the same paragraph don't fit ski gear.

snowHead
snow report
Whitegold, I don't even look at their site when I'm looking for flights. Only used them once, and that was only because they were the only ones doing the route I wanted at the time I wanted. Largely due to the **** that runs/owns them...

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sun 30-12-07 21:02; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
From experience of travelling with ski's & boots this year from Stanstead with Ryanair , I had booked 2 ski carriage, I put 2 pair of ski's in one bag, they counted that as one, my ski boots counted as another and I had to pay extra for my wife's boots, you have to go to another desk to pay and took ages, due to everyone else making the same mistakes. The people behind us at check-in had two ski bags one set in each, they counted as two ski carriage, then they made them pay extra for each of the two ski boots bags they took. No amount of pleading made any difference. Sad
snow conditions
skisimon, and the fact they're Irish has what relevance?
snow report
I have flown with them a couple of times, the country of origin was irrelevant, and the experience was nothing to complain about, flights were on time and we had no problem with our baggage allowances. Kids flew back to Uk with them yesterday, no compliants.
snow report
deleted...

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sun 30-12-07 21:03; edited 2 times in total
snow report
skisimon, Would be the Irish guy who owns Ryanair and who has created a major employer in Ireland and elsewhere, who broke the monopoly in Dublin Airport of Aer Lingus and who and so on and so.... rolling eyes rolling eyes

I would love you to sit beside this Irish *** and show your business credentials Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
deleted...

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Sun 30-12-07 21:03; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Whitegold wrote:
Good luck to Ryanair.

They initially suckered everyone in with cheap headline-prices.

Now many are hooked, they are nudging total-prices back up.

An obvious but shrewd strategy.

They are still very cheap compared to other airlines. Ryanair, if I say so, do have good points. They really have opened up air travel for a lot of people. We regularly use the Glasgow to Milan route and have managed to get it really cheap sometimes (£110 for two people over Easter last year including all luggage and other "charges"). Before Ryanair started this route, we had to change planes either in London or Amsterdam - therefore basically spending the whole day travelling.
snow conditions
skisimon, You specifically referred to him as being an Irish **** if he was black would you have called him a black ****

Since when do you speak for 80% of the Irish population Puzzled
latest report
deleted...

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Sun 30-12-07 21:04; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skisimon, You are so full of contradictions you are funny. You never travel on them and yet you know no on speaks English or is Irish who works for them. You claim 80% of Irish and English people hate him yet you say you don't speak for them. Yawn. Laughing Laughing

Yes he is Irish, he is an incredibly successful Irish man, you on the other hand.......................... Laughing Laughing
snow report
I've removed the specific part of my comment as it is being interpreted in the wrong way; and this is my final post on this as it's taking over the whole thread.

I said that I had travelled on them once, and also said that of the cabin crew I had seen - which is by no means all of them. I also drew on what many people have told me, and upon previous comments on these boards.

No-one can ever say something along the lines of "there must be 70% of people who don't like Eastenders", but it is done, and is just a generalisation of the feeling someone thinks there is, it is never claimed to be scientific of statistically accurate... My point was that if I can't speak for the Irish population, then equally I can't speak for any population (other than one which I know all of).

Nice to see that you've managed to stoop to personal insults. I however, merely used a commonly portrayed view of (an extremely successful) businessman's personality.

PS. I have a large number of close friends who are Irish, have never personally had a problem with an Irish person and love visiting Ireland for these reasons and many more.

Very Happy
ski holidays
skisimon, So you made a statement wihtout thinking and try to back it up with rubbish facts. You are half way to being Irish...... wink Laughing

I know many like to knock Ryanair but the fact is that they are an incredibly successful company. The Irish **** who runs them took them from the absolute brink of bankrupcy to a very profitable business. Yes they have their faults and yes their customer services do leave a lot to be desired at times Shocked but many, many people travel daily at far cheaper rates than any train company offer. The Irish **** who rusn them feels at ease wiht peole who don't like them he suggest they use anyone else who can offer cheaper........
snow report
Very Happy

(I didn't back it up with any facts, merely wide sweeping generealisations based on little evidence wink Laughing )

Anyway... if you're just looking for a to getaway, as cheaply as possible, without any luggage, and you're not really bothered about how you get there because you're going to have a great few days in between, then Ryanair air one of the airlines to consider (hence I used them when I had a fantastic weekend in Dublin Toofy Grin ).
ski holidays
Personally I don't like they way they operate and abandon passengers at any given opportunity, or they way they advertise or the way they try to catch passengers with extra charges. I don't fly with them and that's my choice, many do and that's their choice.

For info Ryanair have approx 4,000 workers, carry 43 million passengers a year and fly about 140 Boeing 737-800 aircraft. Their net income last year was 435 million euros. source

snowHead
snow report
Wow, BA is pretty small compared to them, they only carried 36 million passengers in 05/06 Laughing source
ski holidays
gwaelod wrote:
Wow, BA is pretty small compared to them, they only carried 36 million passengers in 05/06 Laughing source

I don't think small is the correct word - passenger numbers aren't the whole story.

BA have over 250 Aircraft (passenger and cargo) source and employ about 42,750 staff. BA reported an operating profit of £602 million for 2007 source, a wee bit better that Ryanair wink

BA are spending about £7 Billion to upgrade their fleet - Present orders are:

A320 18 deliveries from Mar 08 until Mar 2010
B777-200ER 4 deliveries from Jan to Apr 2009
B787 24 deliveries from Aug 2010
A380 12 deliveries from Apr 2012.
source

snowHead
snow conditions
Sage, Lets not forget that BA have employed another Irish **** at the top to sort out their business model (i.e. break the unions and make loads redundant and try and end the final salary pension scheme). You see the other Irish **** in Ryanair has taught the airline industry a thing or 2 about cost control.
snow report
looks like i have started something here Confused

Flown with them on a number of times and never paid over £50 return and never had problems with them so can't really call them
ski holidays
Helen Beaumont wrote:
I have flown with them a couple of times, the country of origin was irrelevant, and the experience was nothing to complain about, flights were on time and we had no problem with our baggage allowances. Kids flew back to Uk with them yesterday, no compliants.

Same here no probs with them. I think some people don't fly with them and jump on the lets slag off the budget airline bandwagon wink
snow report
gwaelod wrote:
Sage, Lets not forget that BA have employed another Irish **** at the top to sort out their business model (i.e. break the unions and make loads redundant and try and end the final salary pension scheme). You see the other Irish **** in Ryanair has taught the airline industry a thing or 2 about cost control.

Yes, I did forget to mention that Toofy Grin BA were a dinosaur that needed to be restructured.

jase2472 Easyjet do not get half the amount of slagging that Ryanair get. There is just something in the culture at Ryanair, the way they treat their staff and passengers, they way they conduct their business that is not the same as the other lo-cost airlines. And yes, I have flown Ryanair. wink

snowHead
snow report
Sage wrote:
gwaelod wrote:

Yes, I did forget to mention that Toofy Grin BA were a dinosaur that needed to be restructured.

jase2472 Easyjet do not get half the amount of slagging that Ryanair get. There is just something in the culture at Ryanair, the way they treat their staff and passengers, they way they conduct their business that is not the same as the other lo-cost airlines. And yes, I have flown Ryanair. wink

snowHead

I thik it is becasue ski carraige has been defined as ski bag and boot bag, i.e. two bags, whereas when you turn up at Ryan air ski carraige seems to mean just that, skis only. It must be a pain to turn up and get clobbered with an extra charge for your boots. Most times when I look at flights Ryanair do not end up being the cheapest, for me anyway Very Happy

I looked at the Ryanair web site and I did not find it as clear as Easyjet with respect to ski carraige, could someone 'cut & paste' the respective Ryanair section on ski carraige that explains what is allowed becasue I have struggled to do this
Embarassed
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy