Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Stowe or Smugglers Notch?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm heading to Burlington area for the weekend, but have never been to any resorts in the area before. Would appreciate advice of someone who has had experience on any of the resorts in the area. Primarily I'm choosing between Stowe and Smuggler's Notch. Thanks in advance.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ask over here: www.epicski.com
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The www.epicski.com suggestion is a very good one. I've been to Stowe quite a lot. I've never skied at Smuggs though I've been over there and have read several comments. I'd also say I'm probably biased towards Stowe. Drive from Burlington would be about the same to either resort. Smuggs has the reputation of being a GREAT family destination. Lots of programs for families and children. When we've been over in the lodges I've sometimes felt they were a little Disney like. Lifts are reputed to be somewhat old and slow; I don't think there are any high speed lifts at Smuggs. Also by reputation there does seem to be some very good skiing for all ability levels at Smuggs. Part of Smuggs shares the same mountain with part of Stowe (it's called Sterling in Smuggs and Spruce at Stowe). For folks who know where they are going there is reputed to be very good back country and tree skiing at both areas. Stowe has two lifts (a high speed quad and an 8-person gondola) that give access to over 2,000 feet of continuous verticle (I know, nothing by standards in the Alps, but pretty good for New England). Spruce peak has South facing slopes (nice on a cold afternoon) served by two high speed lifts. Snow so far this year has been very good, though there was a rain event last weekend that "firmed" things up. IMO, you'd enjoy the skiing at either place on a day trip from Burlington. Both would offer interesting terrain for all abilities. Stowe village is quintessential New England with lots of excellent restaurants and a few interesting bars. Stowe would have much more to do off slope (at least for adults who weren't trying to entertain children) than Smuggs. But for a day trip that may not be important. If you were just visiting one for a day trip, I'd recommend Stowe. Historically it's one of the real significant New England ski areas. But I've read a lot of very good things about the Skiing at Smuggs so I if the Snow is good I think you'd have a great day at either. And you might also take a look at Sugarbush. It's another classic VT ski resort and would be an easy day trip from Burlington. If you have any specific questions about Stowe I'll try to answer. Hope you have a great time on your trip to Burlington. And again, I'm probably somewhat prejudiced towards Stowe.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
There used to be a skiable link, if you like polling, between the two resorts. A few years ago you could get a days pass at Smuglers Notch using your Stowe pass. This link was closed the last time I was there ( 5 years or so ago ) as there had been a disagreement between the owners/managers of the 2 resorts - As told to me by a Stowe Ski Instructor on a chair lift. Maybe this link has been restored now.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
There is not a formal link or shared pass between Smuggs and Stowe. There is a pretty well known trail between the two. Stowe changed the lift configeration on Spruce. The new Sensation quad stops a bit lower than the old Big Spruce double. So from Stowe you'd have to do a bit of uphill hiking to get to the trail. Not sure if the lifties would let you ride back up for free these days. You certainly wouldn't be able to ski signficant parts of Stowe with a Smuggs ticket, or vice versa. In the summer there is a road that connects the two base areas. It runs through Smuggler's Notch. The road is quite steep, twisty, and very narrow (one lane) in spots. It's never open in the winter. So while the two resorts are just about connected, it's about a 45-60 minute drive in the winter.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy