Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Fernie - yes or no for middle aged intermediates (that's a yes!)

Poster: A snowHead
having pretty much decided against Aspen/Vail (£££££sss Shocked ), now wondering about Fernie.

we like on-piste, regularly groomed, don't mind steep(ish). Particularly hate queues and spoilt kids. Apres needs to be reasonable food, good beer, live music.

Will it suit us? where best to stay?

sharkymark - you there yet?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 30-12-07 18:13; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
holidayloverxx, I'd say no. There's little apres and and although there are groomed trails, Fernie's more about the trees and fun stuff. Whistler sounds like a much better bet for you.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
holidayloverxx, Aspen doesnt have to be that expensive, and ticks all your boxes, Vail too but would probably be a bit more costly. wink

As nbt, says Whistler is a better bet than Fernie, but you will probably get more queues there than Colorado Smile
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
holidayloverxx, YOU ARE NOT MIDDLE AGED! Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
maggi, I was thinking of Mr HL, obviously wink

Oooh - dunno what to do! nbt, I've been to Whistler, and it was wet, (we go in March) so want to be guaranteed dry snow!

Bones, All the places in Aspen I've looked at in my price range have really poor reviews on tripadvisor
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
We did Fernie in march, it was also wet Smile
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
nbt, rolling eyes
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
holidayloverxx, you tried Banff? Drive/bus to the slopes though, but Banff can be quite good for music and good food (cheaper than Whistler too).
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
holidayloverxx, this was a couple of years ago - march 2004 to be exact. I stand by what I said above though, although there *are* groomers at Fernie the terrain is much more suited to adventurous people who want to experiment with playing in the trees etc - see my resort report for more details.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewpost.php?p=21273

It certainly changed my skiing life, I learned to love the steeps and the trees Smile snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
holidayloverxx, We had a wet day trip to Fernie in March 2004 aswell! Probably there at the same time - absolutely chucked it down, we were drenched. Would echo nbt's comments that it's mainly challenging terrain definately for the more confident have a go at anything skier, don't know about off the slopes.

Have you looked at staying in Snowmass rather than Aspen. It's the biggest hill of the 4 with brilliant skiing enough for at least 5 days then you just get the shuttle bus to other 3 to ski them or to visit Aspen at night - accomodation is more reasonably priced than Aspen. Be warned it is a long transfer from Denver to the Aspen area.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Park City?

Grooming? Check. Food, check. beer, check (despite being in a Morman state). No queue, check (exception MLK week perhaps). Music, likely check (not my thing on ski holidays).

Don't know about prices though. Definitely less than Vail, but most likely more than Fernie. Must make sure you get the discounted interconnected passes though. Or the lift pass could cost you.

Other contenders, Steamboat, Sun Valley, Mammoth, Lake Tahoe. The last may have "wet" snow but not as likely as Whistler. All but Tahoe should have at worse short queue. Tahoe depends on what time of the year/week.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Helen Beaumont, done banff twice. I'm looking for something differnet and would prefer not to have the bus ride. agree though, great apres.

nbt, thanks - I'll take a look. I think I shoudl be more adventerous to be honest.

minx, yes, looked at Snowmass - accommodation in TO had lousy write up. also Jerry told me it was dead as a door nail at night...as in 9.00pm bedtime Shocked Do you know anything different?

abc, Park City, hmmm....worth a look. had a look at Steamboat - looked to be lots of the terrain marked as black diamond and double black, rather limiting the options.

Should have said, am looking for TO, not up for 4 hour drive after flight, but no problem with long coach transfer.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I went to Fernie in march/ april 2003 and had a fab time I didnt get rained on but it did snow like mad and I got thigh deep powder and then in the last few days it got really hot and sunny I had a amazing time and would love to go back !

Some of the other colorado resorts may fit the bill though ??
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Steamboat has the reputation of "over-rating" their terrain by marking blues to blacks. But I can't say for sure since I haven't been there. But it's not a huge place, on the other hand. So it may still be limited.

So Tahoe is out, you really need a car there. So is Mommonth.

Part City is known to be a lively place with (some) taste. Transfer is short (< 1 hr). But I'm not sure about door step skiing though. It's been a looooong while since I've been there. (going again in early Feb Smile ) Bus is the way around to different resorts. They're not link by lifts. Such being the case in most US/Canadian resorts.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Helen LS, Yep - went to Breck last year, which is why I fancied Vail or Aspen.

abc, just looked up Park City - looks good, but crystal don't have any availability - scheduled flights are 15 - 17 hrs Sad
snow report
Quote:

Some of the other colorado resorts may fit the bill though ??

I think so too.

Breckenridge, for one. And all the other resorts in the Summit County. Again, no queues and extensive terrain. Not as well connected as Park City though.
ski holidays
Quote:

scheduled flights are 15 - 17 hrs

Puzzled
ski holidays
abc, all with a stop with lengthy wait, although I have found 1 direct outbound with Delta with one stop on return - starting to look do-able. (we're only going for a week).

To be honest, I'd go back to Breck must Mr HL would prefer to try somewhere different.
snow report
One stop is to be expected. Lengthy wait... probably rquires more digging to avoid.
ski holidays
I agree with the people saying Fernie isn't the best groomer resort, its more off-piste skiing. I prefer Whistler as your best bet, but I live here, so am biased. No one has offered any other BC resorts, you should look into Big White, for a fairly big place, with lots of variety in the groomed runs. Sun Peaks, near Kelowna, is supposed to be quite good as well, and has an international airport for easier access ( although I think it only has US flights) but i expect it would be easy enough for a 1 stop to there. Don't forget about all the extra delays in US airports these days getting through customs, even when just transferring planes in an airport. took me 2 hours to get processed in LAX about a year ago when transferring to a flight to Vancouver. getting of topic sorry
look into Big White, Sun Peaks, Lake Louise ( base yourself out of Banff, $$$ accommodation but reasonable everything else), and of course Whistler
latest report
wbsr has a point about US immigration/custom hassles.

You can't have a tight connection between flights because you may miss you next leg of the flight if you have to spend 2 hours in immigration. I had a visitor from UK recently. He went through Miami both ways. One was only 10 minutes but the other was nearly an hour!

On the positive side, Salt Lake City is a busy airport, so even if you miss your connection, it's easy to get on the next plane within an hour from whereever your connection point.
snow report
holidayloverxx wrote:

No he's not but his brother is Very Happy sharkymark is arriving tomorrow.

I had only one week of snowboarding under my belt (EOSB 2007) before I came here so I am by no means an expert and I am absolutely loving it! There are quite a few runs that are groomed every night but then again a lot that are just left for the powder! The hill is amazing, just like a huge playground of gems waiting to be discovered. You can stick to the groomed pistes but then if it takes your fancy you can just shoot off the side for a bit of tree skiing or hunt out some untracked powder.

If I can cope with the ungroomed natured of fernie, so can you! It will also push you to progress your skills. I can't ride powder for sh*t right now but its great fun. Apres ski is good if you know where to go on what nights. If you stay up at the hill then the griz bar has live music, but there is also plenty going on in town including friday night hockey, tuesday night bingo (not the type of bingo you would think) and live music/DJs on fri and sat nights. There is a free shuttle down into town from the ski hill.

Sending you a PM too with info that could well be of interest Very Happy
snow report
PhotoTim, thanks for that info, got PM thanks.

abc, wbsr, yep, we got a bit stuck in Boston in Sept, we were only staying in the US 2 nights so it probably looked a bit odd at immigration, othwerwise have managed to clear in les than half an hour, which is pretty good going.

I think we will have to make final decision this weekend, thansk for all the help guys.
snow conditions
holidayloverxx, true the accomodation we had - Stonebridge inn wasn't great we did get it for a good price though. It was clean and functional but that was about it. No condos available? The nightlife was pretty quiet although our Hotel had a live band 2 nights out of the 7 we were there and it was pretty good. We didn't go into Aspen at night but it would have been pretty easy to do so. And there is a bar on the top floor of the pedestrian area that served the perfect margarita, we staggered back after an early sess at 7.30pm not to resurface until 9am the next day Shocked

Thinking about it today, why not try Fernie you could have an absolute blast and it's another one ticked off the list - that's how I look at it.
snow conditions
Hi,

Have a look at Steamboat. We've been 3 times. Old mining town with new build at far end on the slopes. Not as many $$$ as some other USA resots and does good food in old town, beer and live music, Is for skiers, not poseurs, well groomed, nice locals, no crowds, mix of bowls and motorway cruising. BA direct to Denver, then 3-4 hour transfer. Last December, week before Xmas, empty resort and perfect conditions - heaven!
snow report
Doctorron, thanks for that - I'll have a look
ski holidays
I've booked it! (Fernie, that is)

at the end of the day, this is meant to be the season when I intend to improve significantly so what the hell!

have booked the Lizard Creek Lodge and will use the rental shop there - they have volkl, K2 and atomic demos so will get some powder skis.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
holidayloverxx, Excellent. I'm sure you;ll have a great time - remember to push yourself, get a private lesson booked for day 2 and tell him you want to try skiing the gladed runs or something like knot chutes. If you have plenty of cash, get yourself on the wait list for a singe day with the cat-skiing guys too. and remember to write up a trip report Smile
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
nbt, Yep, you've hit it on the head about lessons. I need to save up a bit before booking that. I've booked the lift pass with Crystal as the price was clearly using an old (generous) exchange rate. I'll do lessons and rentals locally so I get what I want rather than what they want me to have.
ski holidays
I stayed in Lizard Creek Lodge a few years ago - excellent choice and wonderful food. Hope you are not expecting much wild nightlife. The skiing is wonderful and you cannot help but improve and master off piste. You can get the bus into town which I understand has both grown and improved recently.
snow report
skilegs, thanks - no, not expecting wild nightlife (although I could always go to "bingo"). The Lizard Creek menu looks great and am quite happy to go into town if I feel the desperate need for something more lively. I'm really looking forward to mastering challenging on piste wink
latest report
holidayloverxx, I think you'll have a great time Very Happy
snow conditions
minx, thanks - I'm sure I will Very Happy
ski holidays
Lizard Lodge food is top quality, as is Fernie pow and terrain. Forget about groomers ... you'll have a ball. Looking like adecent season is building in BC - at Red now and there's lots of pow. A few rocks too, but the snow is fabulous.
ski holidays
glad to hear it. I will be in Fernie in February. Great powder day today in JH. Smile
snow report
holidayloverxx wrote:
having pretty much decided against Aspen/Vail (£££££sss Shocked ), now wondering about Fernie.

we like on-piste, regularly groomed, don't mind steep(ish). Particularly hate queues and spoilt kids. Apres needs to be reasonable food, good beer, live music.

Will it suit us? where best to stay?

Forget the piste skiing, you'll be lucky to get 2 pisted runs per bowl. Get to like steep and deep, there's plenty of it.
Forget queues and kids, lucky if you see anybody else on the hill.
Lizzard Creek is great.
Beer is superb, mainly micro breweries.
The 'Wood' restaurant on hill is fantastic, as is the 'Curry Bowl' in town, on the left hand side of the highway, coming from the hill.
Have a great time.
ski holidays
nbt wrote:
holidayloverxx, Excellent. I'm sure you;ll have a great time - remember to push yourself, get a private lesson booked for day 2 and tell him you want to try skiing the gladed runs or something like knot chutes. If you have plenty of cash, get yourself on the wait list for a singe day with the cat-skiing guys too. and remember to write up a trip report Smile

Aren't they the three double blacks that I'm not particularly up for hiking up to? Not really a recommendation I'd back up there Wink
latest report
holidayloverxx, nice one! Lizard Creek lodge ah, thats our competition, tut tut! I could sort you out with rental with these guys http://www.top-shelf.ca/ if you like. Apparently they use retail equipment as opposed to rental specific stuff and they also do custom boots fitting.

Someone suggested going down knots chuts. These runs are double diamond blacks and apparently are pretty insane with some drops and stuff. There is loads of other easier glade skiing though.

Sharkymark just had the best days skiing of his life...you've made the right choice Very Happy
snow report
that post was from me, Sharkymark has been using my computer Shocked
snow conditions
top shelf = total legends. They're only doing custom made boots this season as far as I know, but they know their stuff inside out.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy