Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anybody using Therm-ic custom insole heat elements?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Have searched the forum and can't find much on heaters you keep in - I know Easiski rates hers - so would love to hear from anyone who can comment. I have custom footbeds which are great and would hate to risk damaging them but as hope to ski in colder months this year and tend to very cold feet have asked for these as (now belated) Christmas pressie.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Late starter, hi there. I had thermic wire thingies fitted into my existing footbeds by the boot guy at Filarinskis, in Havant. He was very careful (he had made the footbeds the previous year!) and they are fine. They have to chop a hole in the boot lining, too, but only a little one! I did lose one of the battery things, which clip on the back of the boots - I didn't miss it till the end of the day, and it probably got knocked off in a fall. I hardly used them last year, it was so warm, but they are very good. To my surprise, I also found, on one of the three cold days in 2006/7, that I could use those tea bag things you use just once - I didn't think they'd fit inside a boot, but they go just under your toes, with a bit of fiddling and wriggling, and were great. I always have a pair of the hand ones, and the feet ones, in my pack. I gave the hand ones to a little girl weeping with cold hands in one of the restaurants one time - it made me feel like Good King Wenceslas. wink
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've used them successfully with custom footbeds.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Late starter, mine are now in their second pair of custom footbeds., not a problem
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w, rob@rar, eng_ch, thanks for the feedback - was also wondering about the tea bags for feet - have treated myself to some hand ones to try out. Now its who to trust with the footbeds - tho Havant isn't that far from me. Smile
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Late starter, Not sure how relevant this is, but I found my feet getting progressively colder each day as my trip went on, until I invested in a boot dryer; i twigged that my boots weren't quite drying out each night, meaning I started each day with a slightly damper boot than the day before. Since I had a boot dryer brought out my feet have been toastie warm all day.

Just a thought.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Late starter, there's a ski shop called Carters, in Reading, isn't there? They should be able to do it - it's not rocket science. Having seen it done, I could now do it myself, though I wouldn't have had the nerve to start with. Only tool needed is a Stanley knife!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Late starter, so long as the version you buy is for custom footbeds then it is a fairly simple job to fit them, just takes a little patience and some time to make sure there are no lumps in the wrong places, depending on the footbed it is often better to put the slot in the liner directly below the element rather than at the heel, this allows the cable to run under the liner and it's effect [rocking side to side] to be absorbed by the thickness of the bottom of the liner rather than just the footbed
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Late starter, Yes I use them and I have custom footbeds Very Happy I had mine professionally fitted by CEM and I love them, I don't particularly notice the heat from them, but my feet are always toastie when they are on. I have had mine for 5 skiing trips now and there is no damage to my footbeds Little Angel
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks again. pam w, Carters is an 'outdoor' store so tents, walking gear etc that does ski stuff as well. I am feeling very precious about my footbeds and am not convinced they have the experience in Carters - tho if they have staff who are snowHead and appear here to say otherwise I will happily reconsider!
My boots and footbeds were done in a small ski equipment shop in Wokingham but the guy there said they have footbeds with heaters rather than the separate ones - so maybe I need to ask whether if I buy the heater element in London when working there (can get to Snow & Rock quite easily) he would be able to fit.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Can you buy the opposite version ( coolers) as my feet are always too hot? wink
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
chris, sounds a bit strange but try a merino wool sock...wool is very good at balancing temperature, often man made socks can cause the foot to overheat
Late starter, thermic now offer the element in about 3 forms AFAICR.... 1 is attached to a custom footbed[still to be moulded] 1 on a preformed insole and 1 where it is just the element with a cambrelle cover [it is this one you want]
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
CEM, Why/how does Merino, or in particular, Smartwool do this?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, to be honest i don't really know too much about why it happens but it does, something to do with the natural crimp in the merino wool [not brand specific] which traps air forming an isulating layer in the same way as loft insulation keeps the heat in or out depending on the time of year, a large number of the troops in iraq and other desert environments are using thick merino hiking socks as they can absorb more sweat and keep their feet cooler for longer

strange but true
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
CEM, Then may i add, that, in the case of Smartwool, that it's treatment leaves most of the properties of the Wool in tact. Thus Lanolin is retained in place.
And so...... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lanolin

Wash your merino kindly.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy