Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cross country in Avoriaz

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just found out my wife is ten weeks pregnant, we are off to Avoriaz in last week of January and although she isn't going to alpine ski she is going to have a go a cross-country. Any advice/tips for XC in Avoriaz? Cheers. Mally
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
mally, congratulations!!! snowHead snowHead snowHead my tip, if your wife is already a competent skier, is that she sticks to alpine skiing. I am a competent and experienced downhill skier, also do a bit of very incompetent snowboarding, and have had three babies. I found cross country very difficult to learn (I have had two solid weeks of lessons, and am still unable to do a decent snowplough on the damn things) and I fell heaps. It requires much more finesse and balance than downhill. If you just shuffle round a flat circuit there's nothing much to it, I suppose, but that's really boring. If she doesn't want to ski for fear of falling, how about having a go at snowshoeing? Far more fun, and feels really secure underfoot (you use sticks too). Most resorts have some nice snowshoeing circuits. But you will go with her, won't you? wink If she does decide to try downhill I would strongly advise lessons.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
mally, Firstly congratulations, I echo the above. X-country is far more tireing and if she cant x-country ski at the moment she should not start at this point. Pamper her and take her to La Reserve restaurant or Christophe LeRoy's restaurant in the Hotel des Dromonts.

We are also there that week. Have fun.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks to both Pam/Roy for replies. Sarah's competent downhill but not to confident. To ski or not to ski? She's descided not to after advice from G.P but to be honest the G.P's I have spoken with all disagree with each other. The snowshoe idea looks good, and yes, I will go with her! I also snowboard (badly). Will also take your advice about the resturants. Never been to Avoriaz before, going with another couple and staying in a catered Chalet (Cyrano). Very excited..........The pregnancy was a surprise which came the same day as her surprise xmas present of SKIS!! which will stay in the loft till next time!!! Have fun yourselves.....may see you! I'll be the snowboarder being beaten by X.C skis by a small blonde with big boobs! Bye and thanks. Mally
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
As a reasonably competent alpine and x-c skier myself, I'd say pam w is right on. The skinny long flappy skis are much harder to control than the fat stiff alpine skis. Falls are inevitable (even on flat grounds!) much more frequent than on alpine skis.

Snowshoeing can be loads of fun. Most snowshoe routes typically covers similar terrain as x-c skiing tracks. So you get to see similar sights, without the high probability of falling. Though don't underestimate the exertion level. It could be a lot of hard work if hills are involved.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy