Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help a beginner choose a comfortable ski boot!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

I've been looking at tons of reviews and information on men's downhill ski boots and so far I'm just confused. I've gone skiing a total of once so far NehNeh I enjoyed it in spite of my horrible painful ski boots.

I'd like to find a nice comfortable forgiving ski boot that I can ski on for 4+ hours at a time and still be comfortable.

After my first experience I think the thing I want the most is comfort. I can afford an expensive boot, though I'd prefer to find a good value. All help and suggestions are welcome, thanks much all.

Oh, not sure if it matters but just in case. I am 5'11 195 pounds size 11 shoe from Vancouver Canada. Thanks

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 26-12-07 23:56; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome!

Ah, you need a nice trip to the UK to see CEM or to Chamonix to vist SmallZooKeeper!

Seriously I am sure there will be a good bootfitter recommended in your area who will give you plenty of time and good advice so that painful boots are a mere memory.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

I can afford an expensive boot, though I'd prefer to find a good value.
Around here, expensive does not necessarily equate with comfort. The most expensive boots can be quite stiff and not suitable for beginners anyway because they demand too much precise control. Beginners style boots should generally be more comfortable, and cheaper, but it all depends on shape of foot, and I don't think any amount of reading will help you much. You need to go somewhere where someone knows a lot about boots, and has lots of boots to choose. They will probably be able to find something really comfortable for you - and maybe make you some insoles shaped to support your feet properly. I am not a boot expert, but I am a satisfied customer - I have fairly horrible feet, and have a lot of problem buying comfortable shoes, but I have managed to find comfortable ski boots without too much problem, and without spending a fortune either. I can wear my boots for 7 hours skiing without any problem. They replaced a pair I had for four years, over many weeks skiing, and which eventually got a bit too floppy because the inners were packed down. They had been super comfortable too. I'm sure there are some very good ski boot fitters in Canada - and there are quite a lot of Snowheads in Canada, or who know Canada, who will probably be along soon to suggest somewhere you could try. Skiing in painful boots is just not worth doing. Where are you?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
pam w wrote:
Where are you?

I'm from Vancouver Canada. The rental boots I used were terrible and convinced me to look into getting a comfortable pair.

I read a good review for 2007 Salomon foil boot - does anyone know if this is a good comfortable boot?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
You cannot buy a boot on reviews or other snowheads, your feet are more then likely different then mine. A comfortable boot is the right boot for you, not for me.

Find out where a good bootfitter is in your area, surely some canadian snowheads will be able to tell you.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
DaveSki wrote:

I read a good review for 2007 Salomon foil boot - does anyone know if this is a good comfortable boot?

Surely comfort depends mostly on whether the boot shape fits your foot shape? And as said above, you'll almost certainly find that what suits you now is far from the most expensive as the dearer ones tend to be the experts' high performance type.

I am definitely not an expert, but am someone with a foot problem who feared that boots would be uncomfortable. Indeed hire boots were. But on buying my own ( a process that took over 2 hours) - WOW - what a difference! My weak ankle is painfree in my boots, but starts to ache when I take them off and it has to support itself again! Good boot fitters can also modify a boot's shell up to a point to accommodate problems with your feet. Mine didn't need that so personally Ihave no experience of what they can/cannot do, just have read on here that it's done.

If nobody recommends a specific fitter in your area, try searching for one online, or in magazine adverts. When you go to the shop they should measure and assess your foot size and shape and bring you several to try, which you first do without the liners. They should be able to assess from you standing in the empty shells which are likely to be a reasonable fit before you move on to trying them with liners. Once you've found the right pair, then they can further tailor them to you, doing things like heat-fitting the liners & making specific footbeds (at extra cost, but so much worth doing) to hold your feet in the optimum position. It's not like buying shoes where you just go and try them yourself till you find some that feel ok!

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Thu 27-12-07 8:42; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
DaveSki, Can I suggest altering the title of the thread to something that would draw attention to the fact you need a good boot fitter in Canada? There may be people who have that information who have not read the thread.

Check out this thread too:
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=20110
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
http://forums.epicski.com/showthread.php?t=3986
is a list of bootfitters in the US & Canada Smile
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for all the help NewSkier
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy