Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Any sign of this settled weather breaking down to bring new snow?

Poster: A snowHead
Its been very settled over the alps now for a few weeks, with more to come. All you experts on here see any thing developing as we head into the new year to herald fresh snow fall? Puzzled
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
harrymac,

New website I found. Hopes for middle to late next week and as we are going the week after, I'm praying Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=ski;page=1;type=winter;country=France;resort=Les+Arcs;sess=#forecast
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
harrymac, you can guarantee there will be huge amounts of snow on the 7th.
It is the day we leave La Plagne and return to UK. rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

New website I found
If you look hard enough you can generally find the weather forecast you want, somewhere on the internet. wink I suspect Jonpim is right, though I personally go for 4/5 January, as that is when we are driving out, and could do with clear roads.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w, and when we are driving home rolling eyes
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
around the 8th of jan as its a new moon
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
snowangel., That would be perfecto, as im in vallmeina from the 8th to the 15th Smile Razz Laughing
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Looking at the GSF models I suspect it'll be closer to the 10th Jan. But i'm just simply looking at the blue line and crossing my fingers... as i'm heading out on the 12th!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Meteoschweiz reckons a sprinkling for Switzerland this coming weekend - which means any time between Sat and Wed Laughing
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Scarily, snowangel., may well be correct - beginning to look good from middle of next week onwards - would love to see scientific evidence or even snowfall history of this - would make planning trips a lot easier!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
afcbtim, so far this season its worked out pretty accurate. Every new and full moon we have had a significant snowfall. there have been some inbetween and it dont always happen on the new or full moon but around those times it has!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

there have been some inbetween and it dont always happen on the new or full moon but around those times it has!
at the risk of sounding a bit sceptical, this is not a big sample, and there aren't that many days that aren't "around" the time of a new or full moon. wink
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pam w, yeh but its been this way since i got here! hey its not science but we all know how powerful the moon is. while i have no proof but if i really really wanted to i could probably go through the last 3 years to date of snowfall and compare them to the moon charts.

Trouble is i really dont care that much wether its right or wrong, but i find it useful to have some knowledge into what the moon is doing and a few expectations of what might happen at those times isn't a bad thing. I use the moon phases for my garden to.

There has to be something said for why the local farmers go by the moon's phases.

obviously gfs charts are much more accuarte!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowangel., but moon phases are much older and were around long before gfs charts wink
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Helen Beaumont, well yes! Very Happy and i definately trust the moon phases charts more than gfs charts, at least we know they'll be 100% accurate, and so as long as good old mother nature does what she's supposed to (but being femal we all know we dont nessecarily do what we're supposed to wink ) then that should be accurate tooo.

ooooo now i'm waffling, far to tired, working to hard and not having a enough fun. jan 8th ish suits me (well any time after the 5th) as i will be free to go get fresh lines on the mountain Very Happy

i will be naked snowdancing starting from tonight! wink
snow report
snowangel. Laughing Laughing . I would join you if i could guarantee some for the 3rd. (Leaving on the 4th)
ski holidays
There has been some fresh stuff in Western Austria today, about 5cm down to roughly 500m.
latest report
but foehn winds forecast for Chamonix next week
ski holidays
snow-forecast.com is saying that snow in UK on Thursday and Friday with the system giving heavy snow in the Alps by the weekend - airport chaos?
snow conditions
chrisb, hope not, I fly out to LDA on Saturday Very Happy

I'll put money on zero snow at Gatwick. This is the south east we're talking about!
snow conditions
chrisb, which bits of the Alps are supposed to be having heavy snow? Snow-forecast not giving much in France.
snow report
pam w, this is just off snowforecast: 30 Dec - Weather models still suggest widespread snow over Britain on Thursday and Friday primarily over hilly areas. Falls should be fairly modest. This system will deliver heavy snow to the Alps, Pyrenees and mountains across Iberia by the weekend. Looking good for those heading to the alps next weekend and who knows we could even see a dusting here!! Madeye-Smiley Very Happy Very Happy

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sun 30-12-07 18:54; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
harrymac, I'd be interested in which meteo model that forecast is from. GFS, for example, has a small amount of snow showing around 3/4 Jan, but nothing significant in the forecastable future.
snow conditions
 brian
brian
pam w, rob@rar, GFS has the low heading south on a track from Biscay to the Balearics. It stays too far west to do much for the alps but it does deliver in the far south. Try Isola or thereabouts on snow-forecast.

It looks much the same on ECM but a bit better on UKMO. It doesn't need to shift far for a substantial upgrade though, so worth keeping an eye on.
latest report
http://www.j2ski.com/snow_forecast/France/Serre_Chevalier_snow.html shows some for Serre Che on Thurs/Friday
snow report
brian wrote:
It doesn't need to shift far for a substantial upgrade though, so worth keeping an eye on.

That would be good. It's not snowed for quite some time here, and a good top-up would bring things back to perfect.
snow conditions
brian, in valmeinier from the 8th jan, chamonix forecast prediciting a strong foehn wind, just for this area or for the alps in general- how do you see the coming week to ten days playing out?
latest report
rob@rar, Have you changed from tignes or you based at both resorts?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
harrymac, I have an apartment in Les Arcs, but I did a week in Tignes earlier in the season (although it is commutable distance from Les Arcs to Tignes, Val d'Isere, Trois Vallees and other places so I often take day trips to meet up with friends).
snow conditions
rob@rar, nice..! Im looking at buying a place in the alps- though i find the whole process quite daunting...
ski holidays
harrymac, it needn't be daunting.
snow conditions
a few flakes in schladming today and a little warmer. First time in 10 days I've seen clouds. Forecast to get cold with maybe snow thus / fri.
ski holidays
To my untutored eye it appears that the latest GFS run is suggesting that the weather system that is forecast to move into the Alps towards the back end of this week is now possibly moving further north and may hit the Valais region? Anyone with more clue than me care to comment? Am driving out to Verbier Friday so it's the old snowchain dilemma
snow conditions
To my even more untutored eyes the latest GFS shows warming around sunday 6th plus rain in the alps!!! Shocked
Some sites are showing the snowline over 2300!!!

Not good .. Im out on the 4th .. better make the most of saturday.

Tux
snow report
tuxpoo, It changes every 5 minutes for this weekend. One minute freezing cold and heavy snow, next rain and warm. Hoping for the former. Fingers crossed. Smile
snow report
Who's going to cheer me up by telling me about the wonderful snow forecast for Chamonix next week? Am travelling out on 5th Jan and think considering I got about 1 days skiing in Cham the week before Christmas last year, I deserve a bit of the white stuff this year! Any chance of that Foen wind going away?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy