Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Facetted Snow? Avalanches.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I photographed this unusual snow surface at Vallorcine today. The facets were large up to an inch or more. They were soft to ski on. Are they-
true "faces planes" or surface hoar?
What are the implications when another layer of snow falls on top of this?

IMG_1813
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
jbob, If you haven't already, watch the avalanche video here (or follow the snowheads thread )- this av. was caused by surface hoar, which looks like your pics, and forms a very dangerous, unstable layer when new snow falls on it.

A few phrases from the vid... "formed on cold, clear, calm nights" ...."essentially frozen dew"...."big feathery crystals"..."one of the most deadly weak layers"....
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have seen the fern like crystals, but these were different, they were square, and very big.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Looks very similar around schladming at the moment maybe 10 - 20 cm of these crystals, very nice to ski on, but worrying for the next dump of snow that lands on it.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Lets hope it warms up before the next snowfalls, so the facetting breaks down....or it rains wink

Otherwise could be a long term unstable layer buried.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Faceted snow is formed in the snow pack and caused by temperature gradients, the photograph shows a surface hoar which is something different. Buried that will become a depth hoar. Faceting will tend to occur where the temperature gradient in the snow pack exceeds 1'c per 10cm.

Faceting probably accounts for the majority of avalanche incidents I'd guess but davidof may have some real data. While depth hoar will probably run a close second.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy