Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Summer Ski Season 2008 - NZ, Chile, Argentina or Japan?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Firstly,

MERRY XMAS!!!

I have been boarding on holidays for the last 12 years and used to do a bit of competition boarding in the UK so I am probably an intermediate boarder. I have always wanted to do a season so I have walked out of the office job and it is finally hapenning. I am doing a season in Whistler in 2008/2009.

However, I am also planning to do a ski season from late May to late September before I head to Canada. I noticed the following countries are in season:
1. New Zealand
2. Argentina
3. Chile
4. Japan

I have already organised a NZ visa, but I discovered on this forum that NZ resorts are very small and you don't actually live in the resorts. NZ is still currently my first choise and I was considering Queenstown and Wanaka. However, I am happy to go anywhere in the world as long as I am not going to get bored for a whole season.

Please, please now that you are reading this, share any information on where you would recommend me to do a season bearing in mind I am in my late 20s looking for a resort with good riding and apres along with good potential for sorting out a visa, accomodation and decent season job such as a snowboard tuner? (I am sorry to say I only speak English and my other language skills are poor).

I am looking for the following information:
1. Best resorts to go to?
2. Where to find jobs? Which jobs are recommended particularly for maximising free time on the slopes?
3. What things I should know which are not obvious?

Thanks,

Simon
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not Japan.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'd go NZ-not speaking from experience. It is very very difficult to find jobs in Queenstown because a friend of a friend owns a ski school in New Ze.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Really? That could be a show stopper. I really need to find a job to break even. Does anybody know if there are any jobs that you get a lift pass or any other perks? Any other suggestions on resorts or my other questions?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
simwit, You've asked a very broad question- so the final decision will be completely up to the many unknown variables affecting your travels.
Japan is out because the winter season is in the northern hemisphere- they're skiing now.
NZ- since you're from the UK and have a visa- that's my recommendation. No language skill problems, beautiful country, good skiing.
If you're been to Whistler before- Wanaka is to Queenstown as Pemberton is to Whistler. Decide now what kind of living situation you'd like, since the experiences in each town is quite different. I'd aim for Queenstown. It's well developed, lots to do, lots of 20 something backpackers. Wanaka has stunning scenery, and is a more natural experience. For ski resorts- Cornet peak is good, as well as Cardrona and Treble Cone. Remarkables has good terrain but old fixed grip lifts, so I wouldn't make that home base. Cornet peak is closest to Queenstown. If you do go down to the South Island in NZ- also plan a ski day at Mount Hutt.
Jobs will be up to you- apply early with a decent resume and you'll get work in NZ.
My understanding from friends who have skiied in both Chile and Argentina is that Argentina has a slight edge. Las Lenas is probably the resort to aim for. It may be easier to organize flights to Argentina / Whistler, if you plan on heading from one place to the other. But then again, that won't be easy. Maybe you get a one-year return - UK- Vancouver flight, and then a shorter return Vancouver-or Seattle USA to south-america flight.
Good luck & happy sliding.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
simwit, I assuming you are asking the same here. Good place for you to be trawling snowHead

http://www.natives.co.uk/index.htm
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Going to Japan in Summer to ski or find a skiing job looks pretty challenging to me.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
gqaelod: Just looking through natives site now. Looked at it months ago and forgot about it till you just reminded me. It's a good place for info.

saikee: I thought Japan sounded a bit of weird on based on its position but a friend recommended looking into it. So lets rule that one out.

Skierguy_75: Thanks for your comments. Sorry I can't be more specific with my requirements but it is difficult when I really have no idea about the Southern Hemisphere resorts as the only place I have been outside Europe is North America. Terrible, I know. Your advice is useful though. I think Queenstown seems the best option for me in NZ to start with. Before I rule out all my other options, I am just wondering if anyone has done a season in Argentina and has any advice particularly regarding organising jobs and accomodation?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I won't rub it in anymore... actually I will... whoever told you Japan's ski season was in our summer owes you a few beers.

Obviously, with a visa sorted, NZ seems the obvious choice - a truly stunning country to visit too. I should be in Whistler 08/09, and will hopefully be in Thredbo in Oz-land for their winter beforehand.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
The fact that you have a visa to work in NZ makes a big difference. I worked 2 seasons in Queenstown in the 90's. Things may well have changed since I was there. I skied mainly at Coronet Peak it is a small hill as her all hills in NZ (compared to Europe and even the States), however you get to know all the little hits and rolls really well unlike a very large Euro resort. When I worked there I didn't have a visa and often this would mean that any enquiries looking for work were short-lived! Many other ski bums will be in this position too so you have an immeadiate advantage over them.

When I was there jobs were hard to come by and there were loads of people after them. I would say take any job you can get (even if it is daytime and seriously curtails your riding time) this then means you can afford to stay and keep looking for a better job timing-wise. Try everywhere and keep going back if you are knocked back, make sure you are there before the season kicks in too. You may get people saying they are not hiring yet, but they may remember your face when you go back and they are!

Accomodation was hard to come by when I was there too, particularly central affordable accomodation. Stuff on the outskirts is easier to come by (but still tough), but then you need to work out how to get into town. Some people I knew clubbed together and bought an old car between them which they then flogged at the end of the winter season (cars tend not to rust in NZ as they aren't allowed to put salt on the roads - except ironically enough the ski road up to Coronet Peak!).

Apres in Queenstown was great when I was there and could be a good source of bar jobs (ideal for riding).

Good Luck
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
skisimon: It was my brother who has done ski seasons before, so why he suggested Japan, I do not know. He definately owes me a pint.

skir67: Thanks for the advice. New Zealand seems the logical choice, however, I am really tempted to head to Argentina for a season for a bit of a different cultural experience and then travel up the west coast of South and North America at the end of the season towards Canada to then start the Whistler season. The main things I need to find out is whether I need a visa for Argentina and is it possible to get jobs without speaking spanish (maybe with an english tour operator?)

Has anybody done a season in Argentina and have any advice? I hear Les Lenas and Cerro Catedral are the places to go?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

skisimon: It was my brother who has done ski seasons before, so why he suggested Japan, I do not know. He definately owes me a pint.

How many pints did he have before he come up with Japan?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy