Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Arinsal

Poster: A snowHead
Hi folks

I'm a new member and only skied once before in Borovets January 04,it was ok but we have just booked for Arinsal on 9th Jan05,stopping at the Poblado apts above the quo vadis bar !

Both me and the missis are early 40s Sad , but very young at heart Laughing

Taking our 14 year old son

Looking for as much info as possible

Anybody know of these apts
snow assured
sunny resort (yes I know its winter !)
lively
ok for kids

I know there's a lot of questions but would be grateful for any replies
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi Gazman. We were in Arinsal last year and stayed nearby. You are very near the Gondola at the bottom of the hill. We found Arinsal ok - not as good as Soldeu. It was very busy at weekends with locals who didnt believe in having lessons and often wiped people out. One person actually died when we were there - they hit a tree. There was plenty of snow when we were there in January last year - in fact we had to leave Arinsal early to get back to Toulouse airport as there was a heavy snowfall on the last night - all roads were covered to about six inches. You need to go to the top of Arinsal and take the Gondola to the other side of the mountain - its much quieter with tree lined blue runs. The bars are quite lively and close together. Good hire shop opposite the bottom of the Gondola. There prices were cheaper than the rep had offered us. Overall, I would go back to Arinsal - we stayed at Como Pedrosa - basic but clean and food was fantastic - huge amounts and free wine each night.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks Paul

I'll watch out for that tree Sad

I beleive the daytime weather is quite good in Andorra, is this true ?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yes - I have been four times now (Soldeu x 3 and Arinsal x 1) the conditions have been excellent everytime. We have had heavy snow most visits but you can probably guarantee 5 sunny days out of seven with one overcast and one snow. Two years ago a metre of snow fell in 24 hours - no skiing that day but all the bars were busy and by night the whole town was drunk and in bed !!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Paul Mason wrote:
Two years ago a metre of snow fell in 24 hours - no skiing that day but all the bars were busy and by night the whole town was drunk and in bed !!
perfect rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
gazman, I think I was in Soldeu a similar time to when Paul was there. We had 3 ft of snow overnight.... Amazing! Out of the week we had one sunny day, the rest was horizontal snow!

Traditionally, Andorra is supposed to be sunny, but you are going in January so if the sun isn't shining it will be very cold.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
gazman, I went to Arinsal with my mum and little brother ( then aged 10) and we had a great time - excellent for kids - You can take them anywhere - even on the pub crawl - which was pretty much a family event when we went! It was my brothers first ski trip and he absolutely loved it - we're heading back to Arinsal at the beginning of March - this time staying at the Princesa Parc.

You'll have a great time- the instructors are fantastic and the tuition is so cheap in comparison to many resorts ive visited! Try and get over to Pal aswell as the skiing over there is good.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I went to Arinsal in March '03, me and the mrs first ski trip. We had an excellent time, good ski school, easy slopes. We found the skiing and snow conditions are usually better in PAL (linked resort) you just go upto the top from arinsal and get the cable car across to PAL. Have a nice holiday!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Was in Pal in Feb this year. Had a really good time. Also went over on the cable car to Arinsal - definitely recommend it. There's some fun mogul stuff in Pal - though it was a bit icy when we went in Feb.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks everyone

Gazman Very Happy
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Well I'm off to arinsal with my parents (age 49 and 44), Really looking forward to it, We are going next week, Will the snow be good?
And I'm 15 do you reckon that I could get served drinks considering the drinking age is 16 in andorra.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Will, welcome to snowHeads snowHead
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hey Will, snow in Andorra looks better than a lot of the french Alps etc. http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Arinsal.0to3mid.shtml I'm sure you'll have a great time.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Will, yeah no problem as long as you dont get hammered on 1 bacardi breezer!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thinking of booking this resort for end of Feb/ March as a late treat. Seems to be reasonable prices. How do the conditions compare to Lake Louise?
ski holidays
johnboy, exactly the same apart from flight times !
latest report
Hi Gazman,
My husband and I shall be joining you in Arinsal. We too are flying out on 9th Jan 05.
We are travelling with Neilson, flying from Gatwick, and staying in the Hotel St Gothard. Has anyone on this site ever stayed there? I’m a little worried as I am used to 4 and 5 star hotels on my holidays, and it looks a little basic. Puzzled
Also this is our first skiing holiday, so we have booked Neilson’s learn to turn package. Has anyone ever taken this course? And was it worth the extra money over the regular beginners course?
ski holidays
Hi Cockayh

I think your hotels ok, we nearly booked their, opted for the cheaper Poblado apts on a s/c basis (on a budget - been away 3 times this year)

Anyway your hardly in your hotel, out all day skiing,apres ski,back to hotel for a quick wash and scrub and out all night partying Very Happy

Learn to ski in my opinion was worth it, you need a helping hand and after 2/3 days you'll be whizzing down the slopes like an expert.

Maybe see you there, if not - have a good holiday. Very Happy
latest report
Ive stayed there, its a 3* but its fine, rooms are basic but clean and comfortable, staff are lovely - food is ok
snow report
Thank you for your comments.
Do you know if any of the rooms at the St Gothard have double beds, or is it the usual European singles?
snow report
cockayh, no idea im afraid - we had a triple over looking the mountains and the river at the back.- ask at reception for a double. From my own experience ski hotels tend to be more basic than say a hotel at a beach resort, mainly because all you do is sleep there! Its a good 10min walk uphill to the slopes so make sure you get the bus which stops just opposite the hotel and runs every 15mins ( i think!?) we're going to Arinsal in march but staying in the Princesa Parc.
snow report
We stayed at the St gothard in 2003, just after they refurbed the whole place. We were very pleased with the hotel. They have generous sized rooms, big kingsize beds etc Food is pretty good too. To be honest better than a lot of 4 stars that i've stayed at in the past.

The only real prob with the gothard is, it's right at the bottom of the hill. So it's a bit of a trek up to the gondala and pubs etc in the evening, although the hotel bar was pretty good anyways. There is a free ski bus which will take you up and down to the gondala if you like, it's not too far, just a bit steep Smile

If you get a chance to go across to PAL, do it as there's much more interesting runs over that side
snow conditions
Thank you so much for your replies, they've made me feel much better. I was starting to panic a little that I had made the wrong choice.
I'm trying to get excited, my tickets came yesterday but I'm struggling to see past Christmas Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
Stayed at Arinsal twice............loved it. Great resort and very friendly atmosphere!
ski holidays
i have read your comments about st gouthard and have booked it today but the price quoted for the learn to ski and board seem quite expensive - learn to board 192 and learn to ski 162. Therefore have not booked it this is my wife and i first skit holiday and thought it might be cheaper to book above when get there or phone directly from uk rather than go through agency.

Is this right or is the price quoted as i have no idea would love some suggestions

cheers :D
ski holidays
mgfredy,

I'm not sure that I'm the best person to advise you as I have never been skiing before myself. However I spent some time exploring the options and the package deal prices, whilst expensive, do seem very competitive.
We paid £200 each for Neilson's learn to turn package which includes equipment hire (and help with fitting), 5 days lift passes, 5 days of lessons (at least 2 hours every morning with an English speaking instructor), Smaller groups for lessons, and also a money back guarantee in case we hate it!!! There was a cheaper ski pack option (I can't remember exact prices, but about the amounts you quoted) but we decided on the tour operators own, just because I assume that you will get a more personal service.

If you look at the pal-arinsal website http://www.palarinsal.com/tarifas.asp they give you prices on the separate parts but it seems quite expensive. They are quoting 89.50 euros for 5 days of lessons, and 98 euros for a 5 day lift pass (assuming that you are going in off peak time), I can't find prices for equipment hire but if my calculations and exchange rate are right that is £138 each before the equipment.

I don't know if any of this helps, but it's the process that I went through before making the commitment to almost doubling the price of our holiday by adding lessons

Hayley
snow conditions
Quo Vardis...........top bar. Great little resort. Much fun, many hangovers......I want to go back.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy