Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Recommend me a resort please!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all, i need some advice as to where to head for my main trip this season, so thought i would call on the collective knowledge of snowHeads!

Looking for somewhere ideally in Europe, for a group of about 6 people to head to in late Feb. We are all proficient piste skiers and can get down most pistes without to much difficulty, though there is a distinct lack of style when it starts getting steep!

Looking for somewhere that has plenty of piste skiing (reds and blacks), but will also give us somehwere to try out the joys of off-piste as well. Ideally it will be a relatively compact place (ski buses for 10 mins are fine, for 30 mins less so), have some kind of apres ski (but doesn't have to be Ibiza on ice) and will be relatively snow sure.

Any ideas?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It's probably best to avoid France at any stage in February. Sestriere might be a good bet (provided you're not someone who loves their resort to have 'charm'). Lots of skiing: plenty of reds and a selection of blacks, about as snowsure as Italy gets without hitting a glacier, a fair amount of accessible (if not death defying) off-piste, and a reasonable apres scene (although by no means Sauze d'Oulx or St Anton).
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Two Club Med hotels in Sestriere. So probably lots of French staying there too.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
St Anton could be the answer for good legs and a strong liver! Or Saalbach is another possibility. Pity its half term in France as I think Serre Chevalier is a brilliant resort.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

It's probably best to avoid France at any stage in February
The first week of February would be fine, the school hols don't start till 8 March.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
stevec, I agree that France is generally best avoided at this time. If you are just starting out on off piste skiing I imagine you want some kind of instruction. If you are going for private instruction shared between you a lot of resorts will be able to accomodate you. If you are going for group instruction I would go somewhere with a ski school with a strong off piste commitment, places like St Anton and Verbier are well known. Otherwise Laax, Davos, Ischgl, Lech, Zermatt and many others should suit.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'd say Serre C as well, but the locals here will know what that might be like in late Feb.
I do know the 4 o'clock runs home were mad late Feb/early Mar last year but otherwise everywhere else was ok...

If you can get that bit clarified, I think it will suit you well
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Personally I'd suggest Courchevel, that would cover all the bases. I really dislike Serre Chevalier as a resort, would never go back..
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Picadilly,
Chacun a son gout, I love Serre Che. The only time I was there in French holidays was about 8 years ago and there were some pretty bad queues then but the lift system has been updated a lot since then.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
As it happens, the first resort that came to my mind was Serre Chavalier, but then I thought French school holidays... of course if you wait until March Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
stevec, Serre Chevalier will be great, make it around the beginning of March (only one French area on holiday then), and it will be great.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
stevec, ischgl, went last year, great transfer, good red,black skiing. great off piste. no buses required. apres ski can be a bit wild but there are plenty of quiet spots, a really good all round resort
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
stevec, I think Flims/Laax would fit the bill - plenty of pistes (220 km - the second largest linked ski area in Switzerland) plus designated freeride areas. Comprises 3 villages - Flims, Laax and Falera. Flims is split into Flims Dorf, which is the lively bit around one of the base stations and Flims Waldhaus which is the quieter, more expensive area with the posh hotels. Laax Murschetg is lively and very compact as it is basically the base station, but out of the very centre is quiet, no need to worry about not being able to sleep, Laax Dorf is quieter and a bus ride away from the lifts. Falera is very small and quiet and popular with families and has its own uplift. I don't know when the German and Dutch school holidays are, but the other main group of people who head for the area tend to be from the Zurich area and IIRC the Zurich school hols are the first two weeks of Feb so late Feb should be OK. It's had a superb start to the season in terms of conditions (see the thread on Snow Reports) and 70% of the area is over 2000m.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy