Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Vanoisse Express. La Plagne-Les Arcs: Shut

Poster: A snowHead
Hi. I have just seen that the Vanoisse Express is closed all winter from La Plagne-Les Arcs. Anybody know how to get from La Plagne -Les Arcs easily. Is it skiable??
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
chect2000, there's another topic on this with lots of help and advice.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
chect2000, you can ski down the North Face of the Bellecote. It is skiable. It is not easy.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Both La Plangne and Les Arcs are of course huge ski areas in there own right - I have to admit to never really understanding why you'd want to cross over?

If one was keen to ski all the different resorts then surely the option would be to stay in Moutiers and travel each day?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
chect2000,

Here

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=33590&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=vanoise

Here

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=32760&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=80

and here

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=32025&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=plagne+2007+2008&start=200
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Boris, Reasons are.

Want snow outside front door, don't like driving when on holiday.

It gives options

and why not....... Toofy Grin

I am gutted. Paying a premium to stay in Peisey and my favorite restaurant is just the other side of the fecking Vanoise. Been waiting 9 months for the american burger (baguette, with burgers and chips in it) washed down with a Stella. After a mornings hard skiing not even Heston Bloomingwhatshisname can create better. Think a day out in a taxi will be called for.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
gwaelod, and why not indeed - who am I to say, just personally can't see the point as always found enough to keep me occupied over in Les Arcs.

Surprised you're paying a premium for Peisey though - always found it slightly cheaper than the various Arcs places Puzzled
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Boris, Blinking TO charged the premium. We are 75metres from the Vanoise. We have beena bit spoilt the last 3 times in the area as we have skipped runs as we have had so much to ski on but with the Vanoise shut it will focus our minds on the Les Arcs runs.

Anyway given a choice between last years snow and the Vanoise open or this years and the Vanoise closed then as we are of in a under 2 weeks, I will take this years conditions. Cool snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
gwaelod, if it's an American burger you want try the snack bar at Chalet de L'Arc. They do a very reasonably priced one.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
rob@rar, Where's that? Up for any food recommendation so long as it is based upon size Cool Laughing
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
gwaelod, you know the Chalet de l'Arc just above Arc 2000? On the lower level there is a snack bar with a few seats inside and a large terrace outside. They do those baguette-burger type things and a range of other stuff.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rob@rar, Skied through the area but never stopped for lunch. On our list. snowHead The english version of their website in brillant Confused Laughing
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The restaurant and the snack bar are both very good. The restaurant often needs a reservation during busier times, but worth it for a blow-out lunch every now and again.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar, The wife says having seen photos of you she is concerned the food there will probably be salads and healthy stuff wink Laughing . Will definitely visit
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
gwaelod, with the greatest respect, your wife needs her eyes testing!
latest report
rob@rar, Its ok she is due a new guide dog soon wink Laughing I of course do love scouring the slopes looking for healthy salad bars.......and avoiding Laughing
snow report
Now, come on guys.
chect2000 asked a perfectly good question.
Apart from Kramer's (not really very helpful) reply, no one has ventured any decent answer.
(Apologies to gwaelod if I missed it, but I don't think any of those threads answer the question either)

chect2000 wrote:
Anybody know how to get from La Plagne -Les Arcs easily. Is it skiable??

I have been looking into this, and so far not found any satisfactory answer, apart from having your own car and driving it.

1. Is it skiable? I don't think so - at least not realistically.
As Kramer posts, there is the off-piste route down the north face of Bellecote. It is not an easy run. You need a guide. And you need a taxi to get back.
I think you can also get to Vallandry by crossing a bridge on les crozats about 200m before Les Bauches and taking a long rather flat (essentially ski tour route) path down. That will get you to Peisey: not sure how you get up to Vallandry. . . . And you still need a taxi to get back.
2. Public transport?
There doesn't seem to be a bus service from Montchavin to Bourg St Maurice.
The best I can find is altibus.com run buses from Landry to Montchavin and Landry to Peisey-Vallandry, but these buses connect with the trains and only seem to run with any decent frequency on Saturdays, according to searches on the altibus site - I can't find a timetable.
Can anyone do any better?
ski holidays
Jonpim, The answer my friend if you can speak French is within this thread on RG's site . My wifes French is much better than mine but if you are good off piste skier and a bit mad they say it might be possible.

http://thermique74.nuxit.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1680

If memory serves me right you get 1 days free on either side even if you buy a single area pass? If thats true then as we are staying in Peisey I am going to look into the cost of a taxi from Peisey to Belle Plagne (nice drop of in middle of area) and then a connect from Montchavin. With child care we have we are free from 9am to 5pm ish. So we could get a long day in. Will not do it by public transprt as I will want to maximise time. We are saving ( I wish I wasn't Sad ) about 100 euro on our Paradski are passes so long as a taxi is less then 100 for the day then we will do it.

It may be happening but if the Les Arcs and La Plagne tourist people had 1/2 a brain they would be running a shuttle bus service from Plan Peisey to Montchavin. We don't arrive till Sunday week so I expect by then some alternatives will have been thought out.
latest report
Jonpin, you are absolutely right, you can ski down the North face of Bellecote, via the couloir des Canadiens, if conditions are reasonable, but you need to be a good skier, & you need a guide, if you have never done it before. DON'T GO ON YOUR OWN! It brings you out at the cross country skiing area round Pont Baudin, where the free navette arrives every half hour or so. This navette takes you back to the pepper pots lift at old Peisey village to get you back into the system. The problem, of course , is getting to the lift system at Montchavin. From memory, there is an infrequent bus down to Landry, mainly for schoolchildren, about twice per day, but you still need a taxi to get you up to Montchavin or Les Coches on the La Plagne side. It might be quicker to share a taxi if there is a group of you.

The other route from Les Bauches is much easier, down a forest track towards Nancroix. When you cross the Ponturin bridge at the bottom, you have about 200 metres walk to the main road, where the navette to Peisey stops.
If we all put pressure on the local lift pass people, maybe they will put on a regular navette from Plan Peisey to Montchavin! They owe us something after this almighty cock-up. After all, it will be costing many local businesses a lot of money, & they won't be best pleased if the authorities don't do something...
ski holidays
fj, Wellcome and happy Xmas.

Your last sentence is the bit that amazes me, there seems to be no plan other than to shut the Vanoise? Other areas use buses to move people around, why not a shuttle bus between Peisey and Montchavin? I would imagine there are some traders in Peisey who are going to suffer a lot?
latest report
Well it looks like i will be staying in La Plagne. Seems too much hassle to get over to Les Arcs now and iam not that desperate to go. Thanks for all the replies though.
ski holidays
I looks that this shut will cause a major issue......All tour operators, all paradiski season-pass sellings, all business affected by this shut..... It maybe be liable!!! I'm sure that all the business aren't happy with this! And maybe if finally confirms it's due to a bad maintenance (only 3 years of service.....Mad Sad Mad Sad ) we will see all consequences.....
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy