Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

another boring what skis for me thread !

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I have devoured all the reviews fall line from cover to cover, drooled over the EB white book and then it fell in the bath ............ I *think* I need some new skis - or should I rent ?

The deal is I am off to Jackson Hole alone for 17 days in february I CANT WAIT SO SO excited and to think it was you snowheads who encouraged me to go alone and not waste my flight thankyou ! I think I may need some new skis ?

I currently ski on a pair of 2004 volkl 5* I love blasting about on these but think they may be a little short? they are 161cm

so about me I am 176cm tall and weigh Embarassed Embarassed 13st 3 Embarassed Embarassed but my stomach is flat and I wear a size 14 I am just tall and athletic very strong and fit loads of hill running, spinning, body pump, body combat, pilate and yoga probably 10+ hours / week plus I dont sit behind a desk for my job and I have a dog to walk .........

So about my skiing I lost my double back diamond virginity in february this year I like trees bumps and am going on a steep and deep camp in Jackson so should I just take my 5* and hire when the conditions are amazing or buy new and if so what ???
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'd leave the 5* at home, and demo loads of skis over there. I'm sure that they'll recommend at least a mid fat, and possibly something even wider.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
In the 6 weeks that I have skied in Jackson. Thats 3, two week trips. I had the following conditions..

1. 12 days snow and 2 days sun - about 100 inches in 12 days !! Powder city..
2. Second trip about 8 days snow fall and 6 days sun / mixed. About 70 inches of powder.
3. 3rd trip was 10 days of now out of 14. Another 100 inches of snow in 2 weeks !

GET SOME K2 PHAT LUVS and float on that powder ! You'll have a blast. If ever there was a resort for BIG skis then its Jackson Hole. LOVE IT Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'd agree with Kramer, take the opportunity whilst you're out there to demo a selection of skis. A lot will also depend on whether you plan to follow on from your camp to become a complete off-piste/powder freak, or whether you'll just dabble still...

I demoed a number of skis in Whistler recently - I did eventually buy the pair of skis I had planned to (Volkls, as were my previous pair), but came close to considering some others. The Salomon X-Wing Furies were quite good as a compromise ski for someone starting into the world of powder, but these things will always have an element of personal preference, so don't rely wholly on reviews.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
yep I agree with the demo idea. At the top of the Bridger Gondola there is a tent with all the latest gear. You can do a few runs on each ski. Great service.

One thing to bear in mind in Jackson Hole is that its a real leg zapper from the top and the majority of Rendevous is not groomed. All i'd say is that although its great skiing on piste on a traditional shaped ski in a place like Jackson Hole i'd make your life as easy as possible. Its not cheating having a fatter ski as I know some people think that way. Plus to be honest so many of these mid fat and even fat skis ski so well all over the mountain. I use my Seth Pistols in all conditions these days if I have to take a risk on one ski. Yes they are not as stiff as my Volkl's but on balance if the snow is good then I know which shi i'd prefer to be on. In Jackson you'll have so much powder I promise you !

Have you sorted your accom yet? Ley me know if not and I may be able to let you know of a place that will be cheap and good for meeting people.

Alex
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Wow thanks for all the help guys am starting to think that demoing is probably the best way forward I have 2 days in jackson before the camp thing begins so will just have to try and take it a little easy so as not to burn out too quickly I managed 12 days in canada though earlier this year before a rest day though - but I am not as fit as I was (car crash and a broken scaphoid Sad 2 entirely separate accidents !)

Alex A, accomodation recomendations would be fantastic please as that is where I am really stuck at the moment !
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Helen LS, advice from Mrs Chris. I would also suggest Phat Luvs. For a wide ski they are light, have good flex (for bumps) and fantastic in deep powder. In fact a great all mountain ski even though they are advertised as 90/10 off piste. No problem carving on solid pistes, goodish in crud. Try 174cms, as I am 53kgs, 5'5" and happy with 169's.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Kramer wrote:
I'd leave the 5* at home, and demo loads of skis over there. I'm sure that they'll recommend at least a mid fat, and possibly something even wider.
I agree with this. Take your boots with you, and demo skis while you're there. If you poke your head in on EpicSki, Bob Peters may have some suggestions for a good demo location. He is "the man" at Jackson Hole.
I wish I could join you on this trip. You're going to have a ton of fun!!!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Dynastar Legend Powders...although you will probably have more luck finding K2's
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Great advice everyone I just wish I didnt have to wait six weeks !!

I have decided to leave my little 5*'s at home they look tiny and fat next to my K2 twos circa. 1996 s so I wonder what I will be bringing home to nestle in with them ? I really want to get up to scotland for some skiing this year I spent a awful lot of my early twenties camped round the back of glen nevis and skiing on aonach mor but I havent been up to scotland since about 1998 and that is where I think the 5* will be used next !

I am now really excited I couldnt sleep last night I think the next 6 weeks are going to be really annoying for anyone who knows me IRL !

SnowHot, thanks I have asked over there and have also registered at the "girly" site just waiting for it to be authorised !! and FUN is what I want and need wink
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If you're interested in skiing in Scotland then you should look at Winterhighland, they have lots of accurate snow reports and photos and you can check out the pics from previous years, don't know if they go back to the 90s though Smile
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Helen LS wrote:

I am now really excited I couldnt sleep last night I think the next 6 weeks are going to be really annoying for anyone who knows me IRL !

SnowHot, thanks I have asked over there and have also registered at the "girly" site just waiting for it to be authorised !! and FUN is what I want and need wink

I think it would be great if you had a short list of things you may like to try.

I just spent 4 days skiing at Stowe Vermont, with loads of fresh powder. My favourite skis for the weekend were Blizzard Titan Eos, in a 166 cm. Its got a great flex pattern and binding system that has some great options.88 waist

I like the idea that the IQ can be changed for the Duke and soon a tele binding option will go with that interface.

The other ski I enjoyed at Stowe was the Head Wild Thang, 81 in the waist, it has a twin tip and great flex pattern for bumps, powder and throwing around, but it lacked for speed when it was time to keep up with the boys. Then again, speed is not what that ski is made for.

Another awesome ski with a mid fat range and great flex is the Elan Free spice. Again 88 in the waist and very verstile!!

the ski I have yet to try and want to more than anything is the Volkl Aura!!! 94 in the waist, I hear it is surprisingly versatile, and have not heard one bad review on it yet!!!
If you get that ski, you HAVE to tell me all about it!

I may repeat myself on SkiDiva and epic, but more than anything I sooooooooooo wish I could go ski with you!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I had nearly 10 feet of snow when I went to JH..

Didn't see the sun, tree skiing was fantastic. snowHead

I think there are lots of demo shops that will be happy to lend you some skis to try. See what you like!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Helen LS wrote:

so about me I am 176cm tall and weigh Embarassed Embarassed 13st 3 Embarassed Embarassed but my stomach is flat and I wear a size 14 I am just tall and athletic very strong and fit loads of hill running, spinning, body pump, body combat, pilate and yoga probably 10+ hours / week plus I dont sit behind a desk for my job and I have a dog to walk .........

mmm, you sound like a belter to me wink wink Madeye-Smiley Blush Smile

(on the ski front, if you're a strong/powerful skier, check out Movement skis - absolutely bullet proof and if you've the strength to drive them hard then a blast (they is so good i got 3 pairs!))
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy