Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Oxford University student dies of hypothermia in French ski resort

Poster: A snowHead
An Oxford University student has tragically died of hypothermia in a French ski resort. Jonathan Hard, a 21-year-old Keble College student, died after becoming disorientated while returning from a late-night party without a warm coat. He was on a ski trip organised by students to St Sorlin d’Arves. In his final year of a philosophy, politics and economics degree, he had joined about 100 other students from the college for the week-long trip....From: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article3085610.ece
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sad
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Very sad news Sad
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
very sad
what a way to go Sad
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm not entirely surprised having had to rescue a few drunken people who I've found lying in the snow on various occassions when universities have been in ski resorts.

Very sad, but it would seem that there's an element of culpability here.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
that has really put me off-the t-shirt dash always seems too tempting.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Tragic Sad . I notice some continued with thier holiday. Show must go on I suppose Confused Laughing
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Patrick Foster in the penultimate paragraph wrote:
Participants were promised a sauna, pool and hot tub, a free Tshirt, as well as “loads of free alcohol”.

"Loads of free alcohol"? Why? Such a stupid inducement.
What about "loads of free skiing"? Or "loads of free food"? Or (my favourite) "loads of free women"? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Jonpim, Because they are students Confused Ever been a student. 4 priorites. Alcohol, s*x, drugs and hopefully somewhere very deep in 4th place a qualification.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
gwaelod, I disagree. Alcohol was not a major part of life in my day, and it doesn't seem to be a major part of my daughter's crowd at University of East Anglia either.
Sex? Yes. Very important. Drugs? I reckon they were rather more prominent in my day.
Indeed, I find students these days far better behaved and more focussed on their accademic studies than I remember from my crowd.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

it doesn't seem to be a major part of my daughter's crowd at University of East Anglia

..... because she tells her Dad everything, obviously. Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Jonpim, She's lying to you Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
There was a ridiculous drinking culture at my college.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Kramer, Great one at mine too. 4 years drunk in Dublin city centre and a qualification (I think wink Confused ) that has no realation to what I do now. Great 4 years though Laughing
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Very sad Crying or Very sad
snow report
Jonpim wrote:
gwaelod, I disagree. Alcohol was not a major part of life in my day, and it doesn't seem to be a major part of my daughter's crowd at University of East Anglia either.
Sex? Yes. Very important. Drugs? I reckon they were rather more prominent in my day.
Indeed, I find students these days far better behaved and more focussed on their accademic studies than I remember from my crowd.

I know this is off-topic, but Very Happy I'm a student at UEA and we're hardly conservative with booze. That said, it all depends on the circle of friends you are with, but still Very Happy The amount of booze and pub crawls, pub golf etc. that take place is a bit silly. Laughing
ski holidays
My niece is a 24 year old "mature" Laughing med student. They're a pretty boozy lot. she plays hockey for the medics and said they were the most boozy. she is religious about food - eats incredibly well, is muscled (just spent New Zealand winter serving pizzas and snowboarding), skinny and gorgeous. But she gets drunk on a fairly frequent basis. She must know it's not doing her any good - she's a medic, for G's sake - but I suppose it's better than boozing AND living on pies and chips.
snow conditions
Interesting.
As Timmaah says: it does depend on the crowd you go round with.

It seems the whole aim of an evening out has changed. In my student days the aim was to get laid.
Alcohol was usually involved, but getting drunk was not the aim. Success was judged by how many and how gorgeous the girls were. Full satisfaction for all was the goal, and too much booze makes this less likely.

I just can't see the point in getting drunk. I don't like the sensation. I do everything less well. And I feel ghastly the next day.
Almost as daft as setting fire to some plant leaves and inhaling the smoke. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Jonpim wrote:
It seems the whole aim of an evening out has changed. In my student days the aim was to get laid ... Success was judged by how many and how gorgeous the girls were.

In one evening? Respect!
latest report
rob@rar, My thoughts to Twisted Evil Toofy Grin
latest report
Quote:
Almost as daft as setting fire to some plant leaves and inhaling the smoke.

I'm told that, depending on the type of leaf, can be quite helpful when trying to get laid. So I'm told Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Med students are the best or worst depending on how it is guaged!! Best uni parties to be had! Somewhere between intern and consultant a more sobering time, possibly because they may be working a 1 in 3 or a 1 in 4.

Jonpim, I would agree withgwaelod, me suspects you aren't getting the full story. Think back to your times maybe even in the hippy 60's the parents weren't told everything either!!

HAPPY CHRISTMAS to all snowHead 's
snow report
Jonpim,
Quote:

Think back to your times maybe even in the hippy 60's

I know you have a greying beard but... Shocked
ski holidays
Roy Hockley, Thinking back to how I was as a student I think in years to come I would prefer if my kids lied to me Laughing snowHead
latest report
To be honest I'm not that surprised. If anything I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often, a bit like avalanche deaths.
ski holidays
666, I agree. I have one son who never goes out without a coat and even a hat and gloves, the other will go out in the same weather in a t-shirt.
snow report
Roy Hockley, you and gwaelod could of course be right. I am not telepathic.
But back in the 60s my parents didn't ask and had really no idea of what the young scene was all about: dramatic changes had occurred since their youth.
Last Friday when we went to see the Kaiser Chiefs, I drank beer, as did Rosie's boyfriend - Rosie drank orange juice and Tom drank water.
(I wish they were so cheap in the rest of their tastes rolling eyes )
ski holidays
Jonpim, You reckon that, these days, parents do have an idea of what the young scene is about? I wonder. I think things have changed hugely, in all sorts of ways.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Jonpim, all ahead of me in 10 years or so. I don't envy you. Laughing
snow conditions
Roy Hockley wrote:
Med students are the best or worst depending on how it is guaged!! Best uni parties to be had! Somewhere between intern and consultant a more sobering time, possibly because they may be working a 1 in 3 or a 1 in 4.

Certainly had alot of parties when I was a student - but now no idea what teh culture for junior doctors is like- on-call now a distant memory following the EWTD- instead they all work shifts- and I'm not sure the camaraderie- or experience is teh same- but on a more positive note I don't think anybody would like to be seen by a junior doctor at the end of a 120hr week- that's over- and good it is a totally crap way to live- especially if you don;t get teh rota till the lead consultants wife has sorted out thie social programe.
latest report
Jonpim wrote:
Rosie drank orange juice and Tom drank water.

They are probably chugging GHB or 2CB in those drinks.
ski holidays
davidof, funnily enough a couple of my kids friends don't drink. One of them gets really violent, so won't touch the stuff anymore after a nasty incident last New Year. Normally a quiet lad too.
latest report
Helen Beaumont wrote:
won't touch the stuff anymore after a nasty incident last New Year. Normally a quiet lad too.

Sounds like a cousin of mine who drank a bottle of whisky straight one new years and spend the next week on life support. He's in the medical trade too.
snow report
davidof, when I was at uni a kid died doing that with a bottle of vodka! It was a bet that he couldn't head the whole bottle in one Shocked His reward was going to be a free fifteen pints Shocked Says something about the drinking culture when I was studying I guess!
ski holidays
Wow! davidof, you are well informed.
I had heard of GHB, but 2CB is a new one for me (and pretty heavy stuff it would seem).

Surreptitiously adding either of these drugs to alcohol is a nasty thing to do.
snow conditions
read this on the flight out to the alps. It made me really think when it was -8 at night how easily that could happen after drinks. The moral of the story is always stay in a group. very very sad!
snow conditions
Quote:

The moral of the story is always stay in a group. very very sad!
This is a good point. Where were the guy's friends? My kids have from time to time been dragged home to safety by friends, and returned the favour at other times. They look out for each other. There's usually someone not as drunk as the rest. Obviously nobody missed this lad till too late.
latest report
pam w wrote:
Quote:

The moral of the story is always stay in a group. very very sad!
This is a good point. Where were the guy's friends? My kids have from time to time been dragged home to safety by friends, and returned the favour at other times. They look out for each other. There's usually someone not as drunk as the rest. Obviously nobody missed this lad till too late.

i read in the paper that they only discovered he was missing the next morning when ready to go out skiing. He was then found and they couldnt ressusatate him. I cant believe no one realised. They must have been so drunk or didnt really care.

slightly irresposible from the smartest in the country.
ski holidays
It could be that they did notice but thought he'd "got lucky" and was sleeping elsewhere.
latest report
Yes Elizabeth B, I'm sure you are right.
At the EOSB2006 there were a number of times when not all members of our apartment came "home" for the night. We never thought of sending out search parties. Just discussed who they might be sleeping with. wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy