Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Obertauern advice?

Poster: A snowHead
After some advice on Obertauern, done a bit of searching and generally gets some good feedback on snowHead s

Looking at a long weekend in January and looking at Austria as Salzburg seems to have best evening flights for after work. One of us won't be skiing though and slightly concerned that Obertauern is purpose built and might not have much to offer but it looks alright in the pics I've seen, not too ugly. What would it be like for a non skier? Also any recommendations on reasonably priced accomodation in Obertauern?

If not great any advice on a decent resort not too far from Salzburg that is likely to have decent snow? We're a mix of intermediate skiers.

Thx Smile
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Rowlski, can't tell you how good it'll be for a non-skier as will only be going there over half-term! but near Salzburg it's the obvious one if looking for snow-safe and ski in/out. Season has started well for snow though so fingers crossed most places in Austria will have decent snow in Jan. S'far as accomm goes, esp if not a full week, I often find the best way in Austria is to email the tourist office or use the central booking service. Your request will be disseminated to whichever accomm level you choose and they'll respond with individual offers. HTH and welcome to snowHead snowHeads snowHead
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Rowlski,
You're right it isn't ugly, though it is not exactly quaint either. When I went I was skiing so was not really looking for things for non skiers to do, it will have the usual few activities and walks I imagine which would be enough for many for a long weekend but possibly not that exciting. I have never been to any of them but by reputation on snowHead's Zell am See, Badgastein or Kitzbuhl may have more to offer your non skiing companion but have plenty for skiers as well.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks slikedges and T Bar, Obertauern is very tempting what with 2 metres of snow a the moment Very Happy

I was considering Kitzbuhl, have been there in the summer and it would be a good base but know it can suffer from poor snow, espeically lower runs, which was why I was so tempeted by the convenience of Obertauern.

I think I'll give it a go and will try the tourist office. Any recommendations on good kit hire shops? Oh last question, do you know if the resort transfer that's offered runs other than weekends? It sounds very convenient but the info on the website doesn't give a schedule that I can see, it seems to be more of a booking confirmation thing than requesting info?

Thanks snowHead
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Just realised the last bit about transfers makes no sense Puzzled

To explain, we're aiming to arrive Wednesday night and fly out Sunday and trying to work out if we can use their bus transfer on a Wednesday or need to get a cab?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Rowlski, Obertauern is 20 mins up the road from me. This company do transfers there all days and times - http://www.reisen-habersatter.at/transfer-en.php

As for things to do for non-skiers - ummm - absolutley nothing! Its a purpose build resort so its only hotels and hire shops / supermarket. The hotel may have things to offer such as sauna/swimming etc.

However - Ski Amade which you would drive through to get to Obertauern is a huge ski network with many towns and skiing. The train runs through our town into Salzburg - journey time 1 hour 30 mins. There is much more to do for non skiiers if you stay in a town within Ski Amade. PM me if you need further details. Very Happy
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
thanks flangesax, I'll have a look at the Ski Amade site and yours as well, good to have several options. Main worry now is the damn air strikes the week we're planning to travel Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I was in Obertauern 15th-22nd December - skiing was fantastic, but having had to check-out of our hotel at 10am on Saturday morning, not to be picked up by the taxi to go to the airport until 17.15, we struggled for things to do - ended up walking in a huge loop around the village twice, having a long lunch and two very drawn out hot chocolates!

The transfer bus on the obertauern website is brilliant - driver was waiting at Salzburg airport when we arrived with a sign with the company name on, went in a minibus with one other couple straight to Obertauern in just under an hour. Return was just as efficient, dropping us off at the airport just as check-in was opening.

As for accommodation, we stayed in the Hotel Gamsleiten which was extremely well located, good non-pretentious food, friendly staff but there wasn't a swimming pool or any other real facilities for your non-skiing accomplice.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
becsinbath, I've got to ask - why didn't you go skiing on your last day? The hotels will normally store luggage and you can shower and change in the wellness area.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hamish wrote:
becsinbath, I've got to ask - why didn't you go skiing on your last day? The hotels will normally store luggage and you can shower and change in the wellness area.

yup we do that all the time.. got it down to a fine art of sking all day. slurping a few in the manke, then down the eidelwisse run, showered changed packed up and in the taxi in under an hour..
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
and obertauern is boring if you arnt sking, or dont have a large alcohol problem
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
i'll be out there from Saturday night till Wednesday evening so would welcome any other advice anyone's got .. we're staying in Haus Christophorus which is apparently by the Gamsleiten lift ... easy to find late at night ??

anyone tried the snow kiting there ??
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Its on the main street I think
RH side if your comming from the Radstadt side
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
good venue.. finish your sking on the other side on the valley though.. do apres in the eidelwiess or the manke bar at the top of the eidelwiess run (manke for over 30's. eidelwies for youth..) , ski down in the dark and drink in the tent bars or round bars near the cinderella hotel.. dont go past them after the lifts have shut is a long walk back up.. the best bars are near there.. you will find them easily enough.. it all goes on, on the other side of the road to where you are.. nothing more than 200 yards away.. call it 400 if your drunk
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
people , monkey heaven and lurzer alm anre th eliviest places for late doors drinking.. but in typical austrian fashion 1 could be rammed and the other 2 deserted one night, then all change the next night
snow conditions
Ah well after all that we're not off to Obertauern after all, after reviewing non skiing options we've gone for Schladming as it seems better for off slope activities and interest and also managed to get much cheaper accomodation Smile

Still really want to try Obertauern, maybe a break later in the season when the snow is getting spares elsewhere ... here's hoping!
latest report
Rowlski, you could always take a day trip there to give you an idea of what its like - its just up the road via the bus which is free for skiiers. It is on a different lift pass though, but you can buy the Super Salzburgerland Ski pass for a bit extra which includes Obertauern. Have a good holiday. Very Happy
snow report
Thanks for all the advice, trying Obertauern for a day sounds like a good plan, we've got a hire car so should be a doddle, can't wait now, under two weeks to go Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Has anyone got any recommendations for ski instructors in Obertauern? Probably for a couple of mornings private?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy