Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Flex?

Poster: A snowHead
Is there anyway from judging how flexible a ski is from the specs listed on a website? It gives sidecut, radius etc. - is flex listed i some discreet way that I'm missing? Puzzled
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not as far as I know, only in the reviews themselves ie felt stiff, or forgiving etc etc.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
kneedeep, and why would you care?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I asked a similar qu a while ago, wondering if, being a bit more than a size 0 girlie, a stiffer ski was called for. As Kramer says, it seems there is no answer but to try them based on reviews!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Skis are graded by flex along four times the length of the ski and are then paired accordingly,(Woodcore models). I've seen this happen it's an unbelieveble skill, it maybe possible for the manufacturers to print this on skis, it is on W/C skis, but then you, the consumer would realise no two pairs are the same, so one mans Scott Mission, is another mans Volkl Bridge.

Bang! i can feel the sales staff feinting around me, oops.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
kneedeep, When you look at the various web sites where they show how the skis are constructed there are loads of components added in and the materials change along the ski length, a lot of this seems to be done to affect the ski flex when you read the associated blurb. Some skis have special design bits to affect their flex - like the ripple surface on the Elans which supposedly functions like a piece of corrogated cardboard to limit the diagonal twist, other skis seem to try little rods which extend along the ski when a switch is twisted - I don't know much at all about it, but all these things are independent of the dimensions of the ski and all seem to affect the flex. It's worth having a look at the various manufacturers web sites if you are interested - I been finding them quite interesting.

SMALLZOOKEEPER, I like the idea of that - I've read before that the skis are paired after manufacture, but hadn't realised how this was accomplished
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Megamum, There are so many different techniques for the manufacture of skis, synthetics offer a better consitancy, but just don't feel like skis. BTW, thanks for the Xmas Card, really sweet thought. XXXXX
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for the info guys and David Murdoch, thanks for the not so constructive answer.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
kneedeep,

To be fair to David Murdoch he likes a stiff ski and can ski them but it is very hard to quantify it... your own weight can make a so-called stiff ski in general terms very stiff or quite soft depending how heavy or light you may be....and then theri is your skiing style...then of course, the techicalities of what SMALLZOOKEEPER said. You will hear of WC racers having a favourite pair in their quiver because they suit them best in certain conditions. We don't have that luxury, so it comes down as to what is best for you when you ski it.

So, the mantra of try before you buy comes round again. All you can get from ski reviews is a general feel of what is going to suit your skiing..... marketing and tech details can just blur this..hence you get on it and decide...or not..IMV
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
kneedeep, my apologies for not being constructive. Honest, truly.

Anyway my dreadfully framed reply really was trying to get to the question of why would a number give you any idea of what the ski was going to feel like? But this has been better answered elsewhere.

As JT states, and I fully agree the only way to discover whether you like a pair of skis is to ski on them. Descriptive statistics just don't really paint a good picture. Reviews are of questionable value -as a case in point, my current main ski was described as "unskiable" by two independent reviews last year. Complete ball-locks.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
kneedeep, Just remember, woodcore skis are as different as you and i, the properties of each ski can differ, although the manufacturer takes as many precautions as they can, this is the definate truth. For the moment we have the worlds best across europe testing and matching pairs, they're not far from retirement and you can't give this kind of experience away. This is true of all ski boot moulds, all being hand finished by a couple of artisans soon to be retired. We're Doomed!!!!!!!!!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Are you looking for the amount of flex or the type of flex?

Blizzard has a process where they use different types of wood, bonded together to give the wood core skis a smooth flex. Elan has the wave flex pattern so you maintain some L stiffness while allowing torsional flex. Volkl has methods of using different types of wood individually to offer different flex patterns in the various skis, while all manufacturers use metal in some manner whether it be laminate construction or cap. This Chick likes her laminate skis!!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ski on wood - shave with foam

if god wanted us to ski on plastic skis he would have planted plastic trees

nuff said
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, You're welcome - glad it got there in time Toofy Grin

P.S. Any girlies notice above - I got kisses from SZK Very Happy Cool snowHead wink
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Megamum, you sly minx! Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
David Murdoch wrote:
kneedeep, my apologies for not being constructive. Honest, truly.

Anyway my dreadfully framed reply really was trying to get to the question of why would a number give you any idea of what the ski was going to feel like? But this has been better answered elsewhere.

To sum up: it is going to mean something to someone within their existing context, much like -25C and a 30kph breeze at 3000m mean something to you in your context. If it doesn't either modify your context through experience or ignore it. It is really not helpful for us to constantly question acquisition of a first language: may as well ask what possible meaning the sounds of the word 'mummy' have to a newborn.

Quote:

As JT states, and I fully agree the only way to discover whether you like a pair of skis is to ski on them. Descriptive statistics just don't really paint a good picture. Reviews are of questionable value -as a case in point, my current main ski was described as "unskiable" by two independent reviews last year. Complete ball-locks.

Again, my problem with reviews in general: no one gives you enough of their own context to make reviews meaningful. What you say here also applies triply to a beginner/intermediate/advanced ski ranking, which is merely a numerical ranking of 1 2 3.

This is also my problem with 'top tips' aka magic pills in BzK.

/hijack
snow report
Megamum wrote:
SMALLZOOKEEPER, You're welcome - glad it got there in time Toofy Grin

P.S. Any girlies notice above - I got kisses from SZK Very Happy Cool snowHead wink

He's only doing that to get closer to your goats Shocked
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy