Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Vallee Blanche - mid-January

Poster: A snowHead
Is it possible? Or unlikely to be open? And if that's the case, any recommendations for an alternative day out with a guide in Chamonix? We're on a three day blast, but would like to try something different this year for one of those days.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Normally it would be closed as it needs a fair bit of snow to cover the naughty bits, but this year that area has had an early dump. One of the locals will be along soon and can give you a difinative answer.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Piste Hors reports that the lift is now open..

http://pistehors.com/news/forums/viewthread/75/

http://www.ohm-chamonix.com/fiche.php?id=00&ling=Fr

Amended to read "lift" now open

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Fri 21-12-07 17:01; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
rainman,

I think it is open already which means that the crevasses must have been adequatley filled. Late Jan is normally the time for this so it is indeed an early start. if that is so.

I would expect it to be PD cold so be prepared for that, and keep an eye out for the weather and pick the best/most likely sunniest day. In those very high mounatins the sun might not be visible for as long as it isn't as high in the sky at that time. Even GM can get pretty stark when the sun dips behinds those hills.

If you get to the town early enough on arrival pop by the guides office and ask them what they think. Have a best guess for the weather window and do it. You want good vis because the whole point of doing it is for the scenery.

If the VB isn't viable, ask them what is ...maybe the Pass de Chevre..heads out onto the same bottom part of the glacier.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
JT, I hear that the summer has been unusually snowy and that many of the high routes are open way earlier than normal. Fingers crossed the snow continues (at least to a point. I'd prefer not to witness an ice age directly...)
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
snowbunny wrote:
Piste Hors reports that the run is now open..

http://pistehors.com/news/forums/viewthread/75/

http://www.ohm-chamonix.com/fiche.php?id=00&ling=Fr

Wrong, the lift is open the OHM says
"Update of Monday 17 December 2007: The cable car of the Needle of the South is open. The edge is not equipped. The temperatures are very cold. One saw only some traces but we do not have information."

You may well be in luck with the early snow but another dump will most likely be needed before it opens to the many.

If you are out of luck with the VB as said above try the Pass de Chevre it is in any case much better skiing wise (but much harder) and arguably as good for views.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
call me a pedant but isn't the question whether the arrete is equipped or not? you can go down the VB any time you like. whether it is safe to do so is a whole other question
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Its not a good topic for pedantry if its "closed" don't do it, paraphrasing john Cleese I did it once and it was a nightmare.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Fri 21-12-07 17:48; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
jbob, It isn't closed though, is it.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
snowbunny wrote:
jbob, It isn't closed though, is it.

Its never closed, at the end of WW2 Some Germans with French prisoners were descending the VB and met an english Intelligence officer coming the other way there was a short firefight and the Frenchmen escaped, oh yes, this all happened at night!!!

I am making the assumption that if someone is asking the question and using a guide they needed a straight answer.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've been down the arrete when it was not cut.... You'd probably need crampons, depending on previuos traffic and whatever else you decide to do... but no one will stop you... A guide might ball out a few...as happened to some germans, and he did have a point but all he achieved was to frighten that group sh****ss.

Maybe they should have someone at the bottom stopping or warning any unprepared groups, instead of taking their money first...
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
When I did it "closed" a PGHM gendarme fell off the arrete in front of us he had his skis on we were axes and crampons, he fell down a gully on the VB side and was killed. The other party on it that day were two Scandies, they lost a ski down a crevasse we helped them recover it, it took 2 hours. As i said a bit of a mare.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
jbob wrote:
Its not a good topic for pedantry if its "closed" don't do it, paraphrasing john Cleese I did it once and it was a nightmare.

Arno is correct (and so is the PH.com report) it is never closed nor open, it is a high mountain route which is neither secured nor patrolled. The arete equipment is for the tourists (nothng wrong with that), people ski up there whenever the lift is open and some people even skin up from Montenvers.

I'm not arguing with jbob just saying that you need to put the image of closed and open out of your mind even with apparently debonair routes like the VB.

I'm not sure about the summer being unusually snowy - sounds like something I would read from the wombles of wimbledon but i would agress (and David M would confirm being just a few km north of me) that it was a ver agreable summer, there was certainly sking to be had on Mont Blanc all summer long.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
davidof wrote:
the summer being unusually snowy - sounds like something I would read from the wombles of wimbledon

Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Why not try the Argentiere glacier for a change - I prefer it.
snow report
Sorry! Been caught up in the last minute Christmas thing!

Thanks all, and yes, I am talking about whether it is a viable tourist trip in mid-Jan, rather than whether it is 'technically' open/ closed, so the pedants have it. Arno is spot on; we would definitely be talking about a guided trip down the standard route. We arrive in town early enough on the Sunday to check with the guides' office, so that looks best bet.

The Pas de Chevre is something I thought was part of the VB route. Can anyone enlighten me as to what it is/ what the skiing's like and why we should do it?
snow report
rainman,

The Pas de Chevre starts from the top of the Grand Montet and you head over to the Mer de Glace so end up on the bottom part of the VB. There are a few gullies and the morrain wall to navigate. At this early in the season with snow bridges maybe being the issue, you should talk to the guides office..which you plan to do.

Maybe you can post a mini TR
snow report
As others have said, it may be "open", it may not. Reports on TGR suggest the arete is not in great shape right now http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21645&page=146 . That said, I'm no expert and it was all up and running by 20th Jan last year iirc.

On the guide front I would not hesitate to recommend Richard M who operates from http://www.mountain-guides.net/. I would drop him a line ahead of time suggesting the kind of thing you're interested in doing and let him or his colleagues suggest some options.
snow report
davidof, Oddly enough, I heard it from the Mountain Penguin Happy and he'd know having been up Mt Blanc quite a few times over the summer.
ski holidays
JT, gorilla, thanks chaps (particularly for the guide recom.), I'll definitely report back.

Have agood Christmas all! snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy