Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BAA strike

Poster: A snowHead
hi people. we are due to fly from heathrow to geneva on the 19th of jan, there has been confirmed a 48hr strike on the 17th for the third strike but what i am trying to find out is that seeing as our flight is at 11 am 19th therefor after the 48hrs will we still have our seats reserved on the flight or will people from cancelled flights get them. thanks russ Puzzled
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It is understandable to be angry about the disruption, but we should remember that many of the rights we now take for granted were gained by workers prepared to strike. Strikers often went hungry.

I suspect this is really a problem of poor management. Well managed companies don't strike.

The poor state of management at Heathrow was well demonstrated during the recent fog fiasco: bbc.co.uk, telegraph.co.uk.

I particularly liked this quote from the BBC article: "The fog is not in the sky so much as in the minds of the BA directors," said David Ranan, 60, whose flight from Heathrow to Munich was cancelled."
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Still no settlement after negotiations broke down yesterday. More details on BBC News website . Interestingly the Trades Unions negotiators say there is still time to reach a settlement, suggesting we can remain hopeful rolling eyes
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Jonpim, So the fact that final salary pensions have proved ruinous to companies, and most have now closed theirs is purely irrelevant. Shocked My view is that BAA are being generous in only closing the scheme to new joiners and not closing the scheme entirely. In saying this I have no love lost for BAA, I think that they're taking the wee wee out of necessary upgrading of Heathrow which they're refusing to do now that they have been refused increased landing charges.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Jonpim, Can I assume you've not got a flight impacted by the strikes?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
gibogod69, I think what will happen is that you will still have your seats on your flight but the 1000's of other peeps on their 100's of other flights will be being re-scheduled before and arouond your flight meaning you are likely not to take off on time. The airport will of course be bedlam too. I'm coming back into stansted late on the 19th and am very nervous about having to spend a night in turin airport (although at least it's a nice place to spend the time...)

My own view (biased in the way eddyr points out) is that final salary pensions have proved unsupportable since the tax changes made to pension schemes made by a certain Mr. G Brown. To scale these schemes down by closing them them to new members but allowing existing members to work out is the most reasonable solution.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
red 27, Thats what Im kind of thinking will be the case, those flights outside the strikes should be OK but delayed and a nightmare in an airport of doom (whichever one it might be).

Annoying should it be very delayed, whole plan would have allowed me to get to the resort late afternoon, enough time to unpack, have a wonder and pick up gear etc in no big rush....
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
i don't understand why BAA workers are striking? are they scared that the axe may extend to their final salary pensions?! i have the luxury of flying through 2 BAA airports on the 9th of January with £1200 worth of skis and boots in my bag and if they do not come out the other end i will be a very unhappy boy indeed.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
eddyr, At the risk of tempting fate, I think it's very unlikely the dispute will last until the 3rd strike date on the 17th. If the first one goes ahead, effectively closing the UK to business travel due to problems at foreign-owned ex nationalised airports it will be a HUGE political situation, and in those cases something somehow always seems to get sorted...

It's an awkward situation for BAA as most staff involved are minimum wage but maximum power.... how I bet they wish they could de-unionise the workforce.

I sometimes think it must be tough for those security guys earning buttons an hour watching all us skiers/sunbirds/businessmen galavanting off all day, every day, and I'm pretty sure I feel their resentment directly as they curtly exercise their power to make me wait for ages/remove my shoes/ turn out my rucksack etc etc...
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Rossfra8, know the feeling, 2 pairs of skis, 3 months worth of clothes, boots, everything....
if that dosnt arrive in Canada at the same time I do... to say i would be unhappy would be the understatement of the year!

Still, fingures crossed it still wont happen.....
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
the_fatadder, 3 months worth of clothes for me aswell.. when you going? you doing a course?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
This is a comment made by an ex BAA employee on PPRuNe which sums up the situation.

Quote:
....why should an existing worker be concerned about the terms and conditions of any prospective new employee? Well, actually, there is already a problem between T's & C's for staff who joined the Company after 1997, when they changed for the worse. Attempts to harmonise the pre- and post '97 T's & C's were still stalled when I left.

I think that the strike isn't about protecting members who don't even exist yet, but more about the 'thin end of the wedge' and people generally being very dissatisfied with the present senior management since a major shake-up which actually started well before Ferrovial were even on the horizon. The Spanish consortium have really just inherited this situation but it is also fair to say that they expect a better financial performance than BAAplc were achieving, which was lack-lustre to say the least. Otherwise, why would the BAAplc shareholders be so pleased to get rid of their holdings?

The above is just a personal view from a former employee, not much of an axe to grind really, so long as my pension doesn't go down the tubes!

Ferrovial didn't consult the Unions before it decided to impose the change to the T&C for new recruits. I know a number of people who work for the BAA and what they are expected to cover in a day is frightening - managers now have about three jobs each, due to the way staff numbers have been reduced.

I'm not in favour of a strike as it will cause chaos and I'm flying through Glasgow and Heathrow in Feb Sad .
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hope it gets sorted soon. For everyones sake.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
31st Talks on again
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7165196.stm
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Fingers crossed - they get their pension and we all get to go skiing! snowHead
snow report
bug, spent all morning re-booking from the 7th to 6th January.

Still I'm getting an extra days ski-ing so it can't be all bad.
snow conditions
bladeskier, Lucky thing, don't think work would let me get away with any more holiday than I've already booked!
snow report
norris, they are getting their pension anyways Evil or Very Mad
snow report
1st strike just been called off but no progress towards a resolution?!
ski holidays
RDSpearing, er... shurely shome mishtake?
snow report
RDSpearing, are you joking me? how f*cking good is that... lol
snow conditions
No just heard it on Sky News

Talks are progressing looks like a goodwill gesture
latest report
RDSpearing, im glad theyre going well, deffinately lifted a huge weight off my shoulders.
ski holidays
As has been said previously the credability of the whole country is at stake, you only have to look at the French strikes and the cost to their economy to understand why this was unlikely to ever go ahead................ Idle threats???
latest report
RDSpearing, seemed to be a very real threat, BAA would never have let it happen on the scale they want to.
snow report
Dicky B's got the right idea http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7165490.stm Very Happy Don't like your job? then get a different one!!
snow report
FenlandSkier, Yes I read that earlier, good on him!!
snow report
Spoke to someone working at Gatwick over the weekend they believe it is all bluster; and strike will not go ahead, let us wait and see!! Security staff can be trained better and replaced with more professional people. The problem is the fire dept, these guys can ground aircraft.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
STRIKE IS OFF - just reported on BBC news 24 Smile Smile Smile
ski holidays
norris, snowHead

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7169738.stm
snow report
made my day that has....
snow conditions
I had changed my flights from the 17/01 to 16/01 just in case.. rolling eyes
With only a 4 day trip this year I did not want to take any chances. snowHead
I bet Ryanair are really pleased with the whole thing. I bet they made a healthy profit on people like me changing their flights.
I only have 20 days holiday a year so every day counts, but at the end of the day I have an extra day skiing!! Very Happy
snow conditions
I have just heard that the strikes are now off, as a deal has been agreed.

Good news!
ski holidays
Yes, I just looked on BBC news - all 3 strikes now off. Phew! Very Happy
ski holidays
There's echo here!! Very Happy
ski holidays
Contact was right. Now the lottery numbers please!
ski holidays
Kruisler, "I only have 20 days holiday a year so every day counts, but at the end of the day I have an extra day skiing!! "

should be 24 days from now on - stat minimum i believe wink
snow conditions
now to try to get a refund from easyjet, but I don't really mind, its a big relief. Do you think they will call off the run on the pound against the €uro next Puzzled
latest report
norris,

It would be nice but I meant 20 days plus bank holidays, so no change for me wink

There's worse I know but it's just that coming from having 25.5 days plus Bank hols, I found choosing every holiday requires a lot more thinking, especially when it's away from wife and kids as is the case in 2 weeks.. Smile
snow conditions
Martin Nicholas, like the blog.... Clive has chosen a very amusing selection of beverages to wash down the cornflakes.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy