Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avoiding Ski Injuries

Poster: A snowHead
article in The Times

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/health/article3016363.ece
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
How do you perform a 'self-test' to see if the bindings will release - does anyone know?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
red 27 wrote:
How do you perform a 'self-test' to see if the bindings will release - does anyone know?

I am no expert, but this is how ski instructors have shown me before.

Click your left boot into the binding, make sure you're standing on a flat surface, then with your right ski boot, kick the side of your left boot just behind the binding toe-piece. Your boot should release outwards from the binding if set up correctly. Do the reverse with your other foot.

If you have had your bindings set up by a qualified ski technician you shouldn't need to worry about this too much. Self-tests should only be used as a casual check in my opinion. If in real doubt, use an expert in a ski shop.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Fri 21-12-07 19:23; edited 3 times in total
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
A good way of testing the heel bindings, perfected by myself, is to ski down the powder beside the piste, fail to take a sudden dip adequately, dig both ski tips straight into the snow, parallel. You will then, if your bindings are set correctly, sail straight over the tips, landing headfirst in the snow. When you look round, your skis will be standing beautifully straight, parallel to each other, in the snow. Because you were near the piste, recovering the skis and getting them back on again will take no time at all. It's best to take all the snow out of the neck of your jacket first.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
red 27 wrote:

Throw yourself to the floor as you get off the top of the chairlift.

Not only does it test the release settings, but provides entertainment for lifties and punters alike.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

More difficult (but much less important IMO). One binding at a time, with the other foot on the ground, throw your weight forward sharply whilst flexing the knee/ankle. The heel binding should lift and release.

Sorry but i have to jump in on this one. This self release test gets trotted out occasionally and is VERY DANGEROUS.

when will you be doing this test? typically at the start of the day , you arent warmed up or limber and you then proceed to "throw your weight forward sharply" receipe for injury if you ask me and how in the world does this determine if your DIN setting is correct, it doesnt. ALL it does is show that the bindings are functioning. If they arent functioning you will hurt yourself, if they are functioning you have no idea whatsover if they are releasing at the correct DIN setting point.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
skimottaret, I'm relieved to read your post. I have never been able to release my bindings by bending my knee sharply forward, as is sometimes advocated, precisely because my inner body-warning system stops me. However, my knees are dodgy, and I am a non-aggressive skier, so I have bindings set very low anyway (so low that Snow and Rock made me sign a waiver) and in practice they are fine. Only release when I want them to.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for the replies folks.

I'm curious because I've had some biggish (fast anyway) falls recently and my skis haven't come off. I've never been injured either so I guess/hope that the forces generated were not enough, or not at the appropriate angle to warrant the binding releasing...
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
red 27, if you haven't been injured, I suppose they are OK. But maybe you were just lucky - are they set to recommended levels in a ski shop? Our local ski shop has got used to me asking him to keep all our bindings, for ourselves and visitors, except those big and ugly enough to decide on their own, down. He told me a story about a couple who came in with their own skis, to hire boots for the wife. they'd said they were beginners, but he said the bindings were set very high, and asked if they'd bought them second hand. No, they said they'd come new from a shop. He recommended much lower settings for the wife, and on checking the husband's, found his were far too high also, especially as it was a "breakaleg" snow day. In fact someone broke a leg outside his shop later that day. Despite my caution, two of our visitors last season sustained knee injuries when skis failed to release in a slow speed fall in churned up snow on piste.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
pam w, I always just give the ski-shop guy my boots and he does all the adjustment on the skis so I guess I trust in them knowing what they're doing. It always seems just a couple of quick twists on the screwdriver and the setting seems to always be pretty much in the middle of the range, which figures as I'm average height, weight and ability...

I'll give your 'headfirst' technique a go though just to be safe wink

one other question.... when you say 'low' and 'high' does that mean 'releases easily' and 'stays-on-come-hell-or-high-water'?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

when you say 'low' and 'high' does that mean 'releases easily' and 'stays-on-come-hell-or-high-water'?
yes, higher the number, the tighter they are. Heel and toe should be the same, as I understand it (and left and right!). When asked in a ski hire shop I routinely underestimate my experience and weight a little. I'm not convinced that some of the young gods who work in those shop understand that just because you can ski, you don't necessarily hammer round icy couloirs!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
skimottaret wrote:
Quote:

More difficult (but much less important IMO). One binding at a time, with the other foot on the ground, throw your weight forward sharply whilst flexing the knee/ankle. The heel binding should lift and release.

Sorry but i have to jump in on this one. This self release test gets trotted out occasionally and is VERY DANGEROUS.

when will you be doing this test? typically at the start of the day , you arent warmed up or limber and you then proceed to "throw your weight forward sharply" receipe for injury if you ask me and how in the world does this determine if your DIN setting is correct, it doesnt. ALL it does is show that the bindings are functioning. If they arent functioning you will hurt yourself, if they are functioning you have no idea whatsover if they are releasing at the correct DIN setting point.

skimottaret is 100% right dont do this it tells you nothing and could cause injury, also the similar "self test" where you twist sideways out of your toe binding to check the toe release is also potentially knee wreaking. If you have any issues at all with your bindings pop in a shop and get them to have a look, they probably wont even charge you if it only takes a couple of mins..
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pam w wrote:
A good way of testing the heel bindings, perfected by myself, is to ski down the powder beside the piste, fail to take a sudden dip adequately, dig both ski tips straight into the snow, parallel. You will then, if your bindings are set correctly, sail straight over the tips, landing headfirst in the snow. When you look round, your skis will be standing beautifully straight, parallel to each other, in the snow. Because you were near the piste, recovering the skis and getting them back on again will take no time at all. It's best to take all the snow out of the neck of your jacket first.

That was a quality read pam w. Thank you! It made me howl as I recall following exactly the same procedure once. Beautiful!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Following on from pam w, method of testing the heel bindings is my own way of testing toe bindings.
Using slalom skis, off piste, in heavy fresh snow use a rapid extension of the legs with a strong rotation of the skis to make a turn. When you regain contact with the snow and are in perfect balance thigh deep in soft snow, watching your skis dissapear on the previous direction of travel you can be assured that your toe bindings are working.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pam w, Laughing Laughing

A variation on this method is to 'duck through the trees' between pistes when the sun has softened the snow (in the open) but the shaded areas are somewhat more 'crisp'. My skis weren't perfectly parallel, but they were about 3 metres behind me when I got up Laughing
snow report
The self test I was taught was to place the ski on a table or bench, then clip your boot in (without your foot in it). Then give the heel of the boot a firm hit with the heel of your hand. Do the same to the toe and repeat the process to the other side. If the boot pops out your bindings are working. You can also try shoving the boot but the hit gives more of a realistic motion.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy