Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hype or not?? Just how good are Scott Missions?

Poster: A snowHead
Hype or not?? Just how good are Scott Missions?

European ski magazines, websites and forum reviews often describe them as having no real weaknesses. Are they just a good jack of all trades, or are they really that good?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Utter rubbish, total hype.

Just look at the people who ski them!

wink
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
BrightonSki, I'll let you know when I come back from Ischgl after Christmas snowHead

Mosha Marc, NehNeh NehNeh
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
RachelQ wrote:
BrightonSki, I'll let you know when I come back from Ischgl after Christmas snowHead

Mosha Marc, NehNeh NehNeh

I've also just bought a pair. Christen them in Tignes week after next.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
BrightonSki, I think they're excellent. I'm going through a renting phase at the moment but it's the first ski in a few years that I've been really tempted to buy.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I skied them on the PSB ice which will expose a lot of skis and they did well there. I put them on par with the Fury and behind the Outlaw in that test but then I used Outlaws in deep snow with rental bindings and they were tiring ( maybe it was me ) so I think the Mission will do the whole hill as good as anything..all things considered, maybe better than anything and that is why they are so highly rated.

For me, I just want something extra... a bit of pep or oomph and I get the impression on my limited test, that these skis don't need you to do that which can be a good thing but also make them a bit souless from my POV.

I wouldn't buy them, but would not refuse to take them out for the day and nobody is going to tell you these are rubbish 'cos it just aint so.

If you come back from your hols thinking they are great and there is every chance that you will, then that is all that matters
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Does a ski provide that extra bit of pep or oomph, or is it the skier?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
BrightonSki, I also used them for a morning at the PSB and was very impressed at the way that they gripped even on ice. They also felt very stable to me and turned much more easily than I expected. There wasn't any proper off-piste to test them on.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
BrightonSki,

Maybe a bit of both.... I'll try and bang in a hard turn and want to get a kick back from them. It might be a bit too much effort these days but I like a response from the skis. Probably a bit old skool ..but there you go
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
BrightonSki wrote:
Does a ski provide that extra bit of pep or oomph, or is it the skier?

As JT says I guess it's a bit of both, but I'd agree that certain skis seem to lack a certain...something. I think the Missions were maybe slightly lacking in that way, but far less so than other skis I've used in recent years.

It's been a long time since I've skied something which gave me the oomph that I felt when I first skied Force 9s in the early 90s, for example. I've sort of assumed that changes in ski design/technique mean that it's maybe a sensation I'm not going to get too much again.

Having said that, I took out some top-end piste skis for a few days last season and they certainly gave me a lot more response. After so many years of skiing on wider and wider skis it was quite a revelation Smile
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I bought a pair last season, they are awesome. Think of another 90mm waist ski that you could ski a slalom course on without too much difficulty.

Getting them to carve sharply on hardpack takes work and effort, and if you don't work them they can feel a bit lifeless but if you put it in they pay you back in spades, with really good edge hold. They're also quite lively once you start working them, and if you mistime a turn they'll bite you (or at least they did me from time to time). Off piste they float as well as you'd expect from a 90mm underfoot ski, and are quite happy to carve short or large radius turns in powder. They're also no slouches in slush.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Kramer, can you carve clean lines in short turns on piste with them?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Edge hold will be improved if the factory 1 degree side edge is increased to 2 or 3 degrees which I've done for all of my Mission owning customers.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
spyderjon, what will that do to their powder performance?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
slikedges wrote:
Kramer, can you carve clean lines in short turns on piste with them?

Yes, it's possible to do clean carved very short radius turns on them. It's bloody hard work though, and if I get my timing or stance wrong then they'll chuck me out the front. For most of the the skiing that I do on piste I tend to either do long radius carved turns, or if they're short radius there tends to be an element of skidding.
latest report
spyderjon, Did this require side wall planing?(what are the factory angles).

I keep thinking i may have gone too long in lengh with mine.... i've gone from a 168 Volkl to a 174 Stormrider and now 178 Missions, i'm 5'10" and 82kgs. Puzzled

In certain lighting i think i can see Jesus in my skis, shall i make them into a shrine?? wink
snow conditions
mistermouse, I'm 5'11" and 90kgs and I ski the 183s.
snow conditions
Kramer, that's good to know, I think I'm looking for more all mountain rather than freeride, as wide as I can go but still getting 2 clean lines in short turns, bearing in my mind I'm light and don't need a big area underfoot (spent last weekend skiing a metre of powder on short narrow slalom cut skis)
ski holidays
Kramer, Cheers that makes me feel better, they sound just the thing for my style. An impulse purchase that i cant wait to try out, like slikedges, i'm looking for the elusive all rounder and hope this is close. As long as i can keep up with my brother i'll be happy.
snow report
mistermouse wrote:
spyderjon, Did this require side wall planing?(what are the factory angles).

I keep thinking i may have gone too long in lengh with mine.... i've gone from a 168 Volkl to a 174 Stormrider and now 178 Missions, i'm 5'10" and 82kgs. Puzzled

In certain lighting i think i can see Jesus in my skis, shall i make them into a shrine?? wink

I'm 5'10" too and 80kgs. I've gone for the 178cm.

168cm would definately be too short for our height and weight in my opinion.

I like doing short fall-line turns down the edge of piste so i'm hoping the Mission's will perform for me!

What're they like in moguls? Anyone tried 'em?
latest report
They aren't a mogul ski. They can be skied, but they're hard work. The extra width underfoot makes getting from edge to edge quickly a bit of a struggle. Although saying that, I'm skiing the 183s which are big skis.
ski holidays
That's ok, I like a challenge! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
gold whitesmith wrote:
spyderjon, what will that do to their powder performance?

Softsnowguy on epic posted this a while back which sums it up perfectly:

"The harder the snow, the sharper the edges need to be. In soft snow you don't need sharp edges. In powder you don't need edges at all. On hardpack you need sharp edges on sharp angles."
ski holidays
mistermouse wrote:
spyderjon, Did this require side wall planing?(what are the factory angles)....

Scott say the base angle on the Missions is 0.5 to 0.8 degrees (how's that for quality control rolling eyes) with a 1 degree side edge angle. I've seen plenty of brand new Missions (at least 20 pairs) on most have been 1,1 out of the wrapper & a few which were 1,2.

Like the K2 Recon's the side walls on the Mission will usually need trimming back to allow any tuning on the side wall at all & definately need trimming to incease the side edge angle. Side wall removal on the Missions is easy as the side wall is made of nice soft ABS plastic, although it ain't that good for durability.
ski holidays
Not gonna worry about the edge angles for now, but will post a review on here when I get back.
snow report
BrightonSki wrote:
I'm 5'10" too and 80kgs. I've gone for the 178cm.

168cm would definately be too short for our height and weight in my opinion.

I like doing short fall-line turns down the edge of piste so i'm hoping the Mission's will perform for me!

What're they like in moguls? Anyone tried 'em?

I'm similar weight and height and that's the length I used - they certainly didn't feel particularly long to me. I did some moguls on them and they were OK but obviously that's not going to be their strength.
latest report
IMO, Hype, we sell loads of them but i have yet to find the guts of this ski. Compare the Mission to a; Bridge, Nomad Crimson, Mythic Rider and you start to see that it's Hype, not a bad ski, just not a great one.
ski holidays
I'll report back after skiing for a whole week on them this New Year. I found them very versatile when I rented them, and I like the small turn radius (for a wide ski).
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
horizon wrote:
I'll report back after skiing for a whole week on them this New Year. I found them very versatile when I rented them, and I like the small turn radius (for a wide ski).

The smaller turn radius with the fat boy floatation is exactly what I am after too.
snow report
BrightonSki, See Black Crows Navis or Nordica Enforcer if the above statement is true.
snow conditions
Exclamation with fat skis, it is actually easier to turn a ski with very little sidecut in deep snow Exclamation
ski holidays
And, a small turn radius makes a ski less stable in deeper snow.

Having switched from SL skis to Dynastar 8800's in one day I can confirm this is true.
latest report
SMALLZOOKEEPER,
I'll demo the Enforcer when I pop over if you have any....

Re, The Missions, I don't like the big shovel which seems to lack torsional rigidness to me. It feels too twisty, IME. I don't doubt they are an absolute blast in soft snow

Arno, I'd say that that is because the platform of deep snow will camber the ski more and raise the tips and therefore accentuate the sidecut....
snow report
Arno wrote:
Exclamation with fat skis, it is actually easier to turn a ski with very little sidecut in deep snow Exclamation

Fully agree. But last season, for a few days the snow wasn't that deep...

The other thing is that the wide shovel stops the tips from sinking.

But hey, each to his favourite skis. If everyone turned up on Missions, I'd be mightily cheesed off. It's bad enough one of my best friends has them. Anyway, my next skis will be 2czech's Priors (110 underfoot), if I can get him to part with them.
snow report
horizon, I demoed some priors (the Originals so skinnier than those ones) and thought they were great. quite expensive though
latest report
Having got about 15 days on my pair I am very pleased with them. At 75kg I'm on the 178s and slightly wish I'd gone for the 183s - I've got to be shifting a bit in order to get them to float. They also don't ski like the dimensions suggest - I haven't found them hooky in deep snow at all. I'm not sure why this is but others have pointed out that the ski begins to narrow quite a long way back from the tip.

I think there are about three downsides to them. They're a little heavy, the soft shovel tends to get knocked about in junky snow (or I need to learn to keep my weight in the right place) and I have found them difficult in steep or tight situations with not much snow - they have too much shape. The first two are minor issues, the third is a drawback and if you are contemplating skiing couloirs much I would ensure you have access to another ski.

The other thing I would point out is ability level - I'd class myself as an enthusiastic intermediate who would be better with a little more fitness and application. Were I a better skier I'd probably have bought something more challenging.
snow conditions
I've only skied the Missions for about an hour, but found them really easy to use, pretty good edge grip, easy to turn long and short radius. There are always skis out there that will do particular things better, but as an all rounder, it would be a good choice, if you were only looking to buy 1 pair of skis, up to a good parallel skier standard.
I have Dynastar 8800's for the deep stuff and Stockli Stormriders for everyday use.
snow report
spyderjon, it would be interesting to see how the Missions perform on icy moguls and frozen crud with the side edge at 3 degrees. I have a feeling they wouldn't be as forgiving in those conditions?
ski holidays
[quote="Spyderman"]I've only skied the Missions for about an hour, but found them really easy to use, pretty good edge grip, easy to turn long and short radius. There are always skis out there that will do particular things better, but as an all rounder, it would be a good choice, if you were only looking to buy 1 pair of skis, up to a good parallel skier standard. [quote]

After using them for the first time last week in Tignes and Val D'Isere I'd mostly agree with this. The Missions (178cm) performed admirably on piste including moguls once I got used to them, and fantastically off piste - crud, windblown, and powder were all a breeze on the Missions, they literally blast through everything with complete confidence. In the Tignes freeride areas they excelled, and even held their own down the steep boilerplate lower sections of the Sache and Silene black runs. I would not hesitate to recommend these skis to any strong intermediate or above skier, wanting a true all-mountain ski.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy