Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Piste Etiquette - Mountain Safety

Poster: A snowHead
Hurtle, OK
Quote:

cat-track

could be written as "narrow but not steep piste".
I considered 1). to be incorrect specifically because of the word "shout". Twisted Evil
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
When tearing down the piste like a bat out of hell you come across a 'crocodile' of kids zig zagging their way down behind an instructor, should you:

1) Slow down and cruise gently by going for maximuum style points
2) Blat past as quickly as possible so as not to get in their way
3) Carve straight through their line (to give them practice at avoiding other skiers)
4) See how many you can skewer with your pole
5) Shout abuse in French while doing 3 and/or 4
6) (With deference to Boris) all of the last three.

Another skier collides with you while you are stationary talking to your friends beside the empty piste. You are not badly hurt. do you:

1) Check them over to see that they are Ok and help them on their way with some friendly advice on control techniques
2) Check them over to see how big they are and (if not too large) help them on their way with a boot up the back bottom
3) Check them out to see if they are hot and try to get their room number
4) Threaten legal action and demand a large cheque

A boarder collides with you while you are stationary talking to your friends beside the empty piste. You are not badly hurt. do you:

1) Break their board over their head and ram your pole up their rectum
2) as above but with feeling

Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
admin, sorry if I sounded a bit negative or anti-boarder. I'm not, I just get annoyed in all areas of life about those who care nothing for the safety & wellbeing of others, just as long as they get their kicks and I guess very little would have any effect on such people, who are not likely to be SHs. I do think this quiz is a great idea, and as has been said, were it to prevent just one injury, then it's worthwhile.

As for questions, I'd rather see ones which really make the inexperienced (like me) think, rather than one obviously correct answer plus several obviously stupid ones.

EG You see a skier fall and not get up. You're first to arrive. In what sequence do you do the following things:
A. kneel down and ask if they're ok
B. Use your mobile to ring for help
C. Take off their skis and place them in an X uphill of their position
D. ?
E. ?

I am assuming that the correct first action is to protect the scene - ie whatever is needed to prevent further injury to the fallen skier, yourself or anyone else, so it's be to set the X skis. Is that right?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
NewSkier,

(modern society version)

a.kneel down and see if they're concious. if not
b. Nick their mobile
c. Nick their skis
d. Nick their wallet
e. And their liftpass
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have to admit to having skimmed over most of this thread...

admin, nice idea (hopefully it would have at least a little effect). If you want, I used to run LRL and still have all the stuff it was put together with, so would be happy to put the questions suggested here (and others) into a database and link it to the quiz interface. It keeps a running total. The only problem would be then getting the results into a leaderboard type format - that I would have to leave to someone else...

There's little I hate more than people who sit in the middle of a busy piste just over the brow, other than inconsiderate people who think they're the only person on the mountain (so sod everyone else...)
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rob@rar wrote:
Kramer wrote:
(6) zoom up to them at great speed, so that when they fall over through pure fear, you have to huck over them. As practiced by one of my German mates.

Frank? Mad as a box of frogs!

Indeed. I'm unfortunately not going to get the chance to ski with him this year as he's decided to go with his girlfriend.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
NewSkier wrote:
admin, sorry if I sounded a bit negative or anti-boarder. I'm not, I just get annoyed in all areas of life about those who care nothing for the safety & wellbeing of others, just as long as they get their kicks and I guess very little would have any effect on such people, who are not likely to be SHs. I do think this quiz is a great idea, and as has been said, were it to prevent just one injury, then it's worthwhile.

As for questions, I'd rather see ones which really make the inexperienced (like me) think, rather than one obviously correct answer plus several obviously stupid ones.

EG You see a skier fall and not get up. You're first to arrive. In what sequence do you do the following things:
D. ?
E. ?

I am assuming that the correct first action is to protect the scene - ie whatever is needed to prevent further injury to the fallen skier, yourself or anyone else, so it's be to set the X skis. Is that right?

Actually it depends. Not a right or wrong answer here.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hurtle wrote:
Nick L, yeah, not sure I know what you mean by a cat-track. Also, the nature of the warning could be clarified? Without begging your question, if I ever do consider it's right to warn someone verbally that I'm about to pass them, I try and say which side of them I'm going to go.

In which language? wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
alex_heney, erm, I can manage 'left' and 'right' in the languages of all countries in which I've skied. But, apart from English, I'm happiest in French, 'cos I can swear effectively in that langage too! wink
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
jbob, I too am confused as to what the Swiss meant by out of bounds. Except for a few areas where they are trying to protect young trees (and any closed pistes) there isn't any out of bounds in Europe. And if you climb up a bit and ski down the back of the mountain but end up back on the piste is that "Back Country"? The phrase is American and really means something over there..

The trouble with many of the questions (particularly the first lot) is that they are phrased in such a way that the answer is obvious, so people will feel patronised and won't want to do the quiz.

Edit: sorry, I only read the first page.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Thu 20-12-07 23:34; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hurtle wrote:
alex_heney, erm, I can manage 'left' and 'right' in the languages of all countries in which I've skied. But, apart from English, I'm happiest in French, 'cos I can swear effectively in that langage too! wink

Yes, but the point I was failing to make was how do you know which langauge to use? Most skiers don't have national flags on their backs Laughing
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
alex_heney, if skiers don't know the words for left and right in the language of the country in which they are skiing, they deserve to be run down! Evil or Very Mad wink
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Nick L, I'd say 2-5 could be right for your question. It depends on the slower skier. Normally I'd check my speed and watch them for a few turns - if they stay well clear of one side or the other, then that is the side to prepare yourself to pass them on. Next you time your manoeuver so that they are skiing away from that side as you start your move, go straight past, as far to the edge of the track as you can, going as quickly as possible.
If they are taking up most of the track, or stuck in the middle but with erratic moves, then calling out the side you plan to pass on can be effective (works best in resorts where most skiers understand the language you are speaking)
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Wear The Fox Hat, I don't think you're supposed to be giving the answers! admin wants to collate the questions, doesn't he? There again, perhaps you're just saying that Nick L's question doesn't work. wink Could be that a free-for-all to compose the questions ain't going to work...
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hurtle, I was more saying that I don't believe there's one right answer to that without more info.
snow report
Wear The Fox Hat, I agree.
latest report
You have two aims when you are going skiing to get some great powder and to chase crumpet. The best compromise resort is:

a) St Anton
b)Val d'Isere
c)Verbier
d)Aspen
e)La Rosiere
snow report
T Bar, Laughing
ski holidays
If you are worried about causing an avalanche which type of ridge is safer to board across?

A. A ridge when looking down from is difficult to see the bottom of and looks like a mound that falls away from you (a convex slope)
B. A ridge when looking down from is easy to see all parts of and is shaped like a bowl and has an obvious collection route at the bottom that you can board to.
snow report
Hurtle, Fair enough.

So your answer is basically the "local" language. Which makes a lot of sense, as you say.
latest report
Kramer wrote:

Yes, I can see that, and that is my point really - a question that gets you thinking is probably amongst the most valuable, educationally. However in a quiz like this there needs to be a right answer, so perhaps someone can alter the scenario/answers so that there IS a recommended sequence? And as I said, the first consideration in ANY accident scene surely must be to secure the safety of everyone around, which must mean that putting the warning sign up (or getting someone to do so) is an essential 1st action. I suppose it does depend on the precise location of the casualty though, hence the need for the scene to be accurately painted.

Oh and yes, the "modern" option could perfectly well feature as one answer - very happy to see 4 serious options that make you think and 1 amusingly wrong one, but not the other way round!
snow report
Kramer wrote:
NewSkier wrote:

D. ?
E. ?

Depends if you are a doctor, doctor.

Without knowing the extent of the injury, I'd have thought removing their skis could cause severe pain, non?

Pedant alert over !!
ski holidays
Also depending on the nature of the fall finding their skis might be a problem !

If I wasn't skiing alone (never have yet), I would post one of the party a few meters uphill of the fallen skier to wave down any approaching skiers/boarders and warn them of the danger. This is obviuosly going to depend on visibility, lie of the land, nature of the piste etc.

I'd then do a 'breathing, bleeding, bones' check without moving the victim and depending on the outcome either call for help, perform cpr, or offer them a toffee. Very Happy
snow report
Wear The Fox Hat, I was phrasing them deliberately so that more than one answer is partly correct but that there is a "best" answer (which I would consider to be 5). BTW)
snow report
You are part of "younger" group of mixed skiers and boarders in a resort that is vaguely known by some of the group. The "lead" steers you off-piste as you search for some untracked powder. There are no markers or ropes to suggest any hazard. The "lead" takes a ridge at speed, putting in what looks like a decent jump, although the landing is obscurred. As "second" in the group, do you:

a) Take the jump - it does look awesome and the adrenalin is flowing and "Lead" knows the resort best in the group
b) Stop the rest of the group and examine the landing area
c) Approach the ridge more cautiously, but you are conscious of not wanting to dampen the moment and enjoyment of an enthusiastic group
d) Acknowledge the lack of hazard warnings and proceed accordingly

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Fri 21-12-07 14:01; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Marcus wrote:
You are part of "younger" group .....

Sorry you just ruled me out Sad Laughing
latest report
AxsMan, don't worry. I ruled myself out too Sad Laughing
snow report
skimottaret, Ooh controversial! nice one.

My contribution to a thread that seems increasingly infested with Christmas cheer...

Your "Leader" goes over a blind summit and you hear him yell, "Piece of p1ss". Do you,

a. believe your ears, ski over and wake up in hospital
b. correctly interpret his shout as "Precipice" and call the ski patrol
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Perhaps most of the safety/etiquette tends to be aimed at beginners?

How about some etiquette aimed at the more experienced/expert skiers?

When standing at the side of the piste, face upslope - despite better views below.
When skiing/boardng sedately down a road give consideration to those who may wish to overtake.
If leading a snake of kids, try to leave some room for others to pass by.
If teaching a troupe of boarders please avoid forming a semicircle in the middle of the piste from which to instruct - it teaches them bad habits.
If skiing in a group with one or more boarders, always stop on a high bank to the side of a piste and never on a flat road.
Despite being able to, do not jump over other skiers or boarders except to avoid an accident.
Expect the unexpected.
Be patient.
snow conditions
crosbie wrote:
If skiing in a group with one or more boarders, always stop on a high bank to the side of a piste and never on a flat road.

Pardon? I always thought that it was the exact opposite... Little Angel I usually plan my old school's ski routes, and due to a number of boarders, I include lots of flat cat-tracks and drag-lifts - they're their favourite things aren't they? wink
snow conditions
There's etiquette and then there's internecine feudalism.
ski holidays
Driving to the your ski holiday whilst in the UK a trip of 150 miles you pass one car up the motorway embankment on fire and later a 4 vehicle pile up involving 2 HGV's and 2 cars one of which is on its roof on the hard shoulder. Shocked
The 800 miles on French motorways not one accident (or the aftermath) is seen on arriving in resort and catching up with snowHeads you read of a fellow sH's son is in hospital with a head injury through snowboarding! Shocked
Spent all day on the very quiet pistes of Grand Plagne today and saw no accidents or blood wagons or helicopters.

Therefore our survey says.................................. the biggest risk is being in the UK Laughing
ski holidays
boredsurfin, Laughing

Lucky barsteward mutter mutter mutter
ski holidays
I think this sounds good, but I suspect those who need it most will not be interested.

Out of interest, it isn't just boarders who go out with mates and have a go. This week, a ski-hosted group from our chalet (which we didn't go with as we were having a lesson), took out a lady on her second day of skiing who never had a lesson. The guys in the chalet thought it was great fun when she spent the day falling over and flailing down red runs. She may not have hurt herself, but she could have seriously hurt somebody else. I did not think it was funny, but was in the minority. Given that attitude what hope is there of getting people to behave safely?
ski holidays
NewSkier, First aid training teaches that your first priority, as you indicated, is to make the area safe - thus protecting yourself - the formal resuce party doesn't want more casualities when they arrive than they were expecting.

I guess that as part of your treatment (though by no means a priority if higher priority problems exist such as airway, breathing, excessive bleeding unless it hinders these in order of priority) you could remove their skis if the casualty will let you. Although if they won't let you touch them or you can't find their skis, I wouldn't think there is anything stopping you from making a cross with your own skis which I am certain you would have removed on arrival at the scene if you intended to stay on the scene for any length of time - or indeed using what ever was to hand to protect the scene - for example ski poles - though clearly a fatter ski would be preferential from a visibility perspective.

N.B. The above is my take from a first aid perspective - however, I'm not experienced with snowy mountain first aid specialisms - if there are any experts in this area out there then please feel free to correct me.
snow report
I think this is a great idea and if in an Excel file or internet link will reach just the right audience (if aimed at the slightly younger crowd.) I first went skiing when I was 23 and spent most of the weeks leading up to it wasting time at work trying to find information on skiing on the internet. I was a prime candidate for a "How good a snowsports participant are you" quiz Once its one of those things that came be e-mailed around, it will certainly reach more people than just being on a website. (anyone had that annoyingly frustrating guess the 1980s lyrics quiz that's goes around?) Maybe it could include your skiing/snowboarding type at the end e.g You are a hazard to skikind - go to Tenerife instead! I wouldn't say I am an experienced enough skier to write questions though as am still learning 7 years later and could probably benefit a lot from this type of quiz. Its all about getting people ot assimilate information without realising it.
ski holidays
[quote="David Murdoch
Your "Leader" goes over a blind summit and you hear him yell, "Piece of p1ss". Do you,

a. believe your ears, ski over and wake up in hospital
b. correctly interpret his shout as "Precipice" and call the ski patrol[/quote]

spoken from experience? Shocked
snow conditions
Nick L wrote:
You are skiing down a cat-track (perhaps some explanation of what "cat-track" means?) and a slow skier is ahead of you skiing staedily from one side of the piste to the other.
Should you:
1). Speed up, shout a warning and try to pass the skier as quickly as possible by skiing straight down the middle of the piste
2). Try and pass them on the downhill side of the piste
3). Try and pass them on the uphill side of the piste
4). Slow down to the slower skiers pace and follow them until the piste widens
5). Slow down to the slower skiers pace, click your poles together to make them aware of your presence and pass when and if it becomes safe to do so.

This reminds me of when I was a novice boarder some years ago and still very wobbly on narrow flat areas where you had to keep the momentum up otherwise you'd not get to the the next bit of the mountain.

I managed to bail in the middle of above narrow flat area, not knowing that my friend was right behind me. He crashed the edge of his board into my spine but fortunately he bought a cheap board and the binding baseplate shattered so his body absorbed more of the impact than my back - still it was a bit scarey for a while because we were both going pretty fast. He had to walk back to the shop where he'd just bought his shiney new board from and complain that it was rubbish and get a new one. The guys in the shop said they'd never seen a smashed baseplate before after crashing into someone.

A bit off the original topic but I thought I'd share my [now] funny learning experience.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy