Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

On Piste Avalanche in Ischgl

Poster: A snowHead
Yesterday afternoon - a 250m long slide, 20m wide, from a SW facing slope that went right across the open Velilltal piste to a depth of 1-2m. I thought it was almost unheard of these days for avalanches to hit pistes while open....am I wrong?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Is that the Ischgl thats just down the road from Galtur?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Came across one a few years ago but it was not big and no one was hurt
There is always some risk thought resorts work hard at keeping piste safe
Being up a mountain there is always some element of risk
You are in much more danger driving to the airport than getting caught in one while on piste
Not that you would want to experience ether
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Julian T wrote:
Yesterday afternoon - a 250m long slide, 20m wide, from a SW facing slope that went right across the open Velilltal piste to a depth of 1-2m. I thought it was almost unheard of these days for avalanches to hit pistes while open....am I wrong?

no. It is almost unheard of.

But "almost" is not quite "never".
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Julian T, more common than you might think. I've had two encounters with avvies on piste or patrolled routes. Once in St. Anton on the track that leads from Schindlerkar back to the Schindler lift, and once in Kleinwalsertal on the valley run back to Riezlern. Both times I missed it by a few seconds Shocked
Lucky!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Julian T, anyone get hurt?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I set off a small one on piste last April in la Thuile. There was the remains of another lower down and they were preparing to shut the run when I arrived.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Thu 20-12-07 22:58; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
"sh?t" and I am going to Ischgl less than a month from now!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
And I'm going tomorrow.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
RachelQ, Shocked

we're not going til Feb and I'm still sitting here waiting for Julian T's reply and scanning the web for more info. I can only guess at how you're feeling...?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Do the Austrian in Ischgl believes in throwing dynamite sticks to activate potential avalanches? What have they done with the money collected from the ski passes?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Julian T,

Are you Julian Tutt from Ski Sunday?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
snojito, I'm feeling somewhat sobered by it. We all, that's 8 of us, including 4 yoof, love popping off the edges of the piste and playing in the soft stuff. We were talking of hiring a guide for a day to do some proper off piste too.

I think the upside is that if this avalanche happened on piste, the pisteurs will be even more vigilant. We'll find out tomorrow.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
gm home run

This is the very busy home run down from Grands Montets Chamonix, 2006.

The gullys on the left are popular off piste routes this one slid right across the piste, one one hurt.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
jbob, I had to ski around that one too - possibly a shot while later as there were pisteurs patrolling it, and starting to clear it up, when I went by.
snow conditions
Doesn't look too bad tbh.
snow report
Quote:

Julian T, anyone get hurt?

No - no one hurt

Quote:

Are you Julian Tutt from Ski Sunday?

No - I'm not!

I spoke to a guide in Ischgl today, who explained that the current base is lying on relatively warm ground, because so much snow fell before they had had an extensive period of low temperatures. And current temperatures above 2000m have risen in the past 48 hours to around freezing point (still way below freezing at valley level). This has triggered several substantial slides on West or South facing slopes. The Vilalltal one is the only one that is on piste, but there was also a significant one today in a well tracked area only just off piste adjacent to the Hollenkar lift, and another on the Samnaun side of the ski area.
ski holidays
Julian T, are you in Ischgl at the moment? Do you know what they're saying the avalanche risk is?
latest report
Yes, I am in Ischgl, but haven't seen anything official about avalanche risk. It's not like French resorts where you cannot avoid seeing what is the current risk - there aren't any flags flying. My guess is that it would be "3" at the moment. There's plenty of off piste available with a guide, but there are clearly some dodgy places, and based on the discussion I had with the guide today, it may get worse as these relatively mild temperatures continue over the next few days
latest report
The info is here http://www.lawine.at/tirol/index.html
Its 2
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy