Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Who skis in a whiteout?

Poster: A snowHead
Kramer, rayscoops, Laughing Shocked Laughing Shocked
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The Wikipedia definition is interesting in a way.

The "whiteout" I've been in wasn't exactly zero visibility. But since there's nothing non-white one can actually see (piste marker beyond visibility limit), it's as bad as zero visibility. Made worse by the fact when I looked down, I couldn't see my skis due to the fresh snow. So every way I turn, I couldn't see a thing! That's when I lost track of whether I was moving or stopped. Had I thrown a snow ball, I doubt I could see where it land either.

It may only technically be a "flat light" situation. But it felt a lot worse than in a blizzard. Had I been below the treeline, it wouldn't have been an issue AT ALL.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
David Murdoch, useful quote, but Wikipedia is just written by someone who felt like writing it. To me, it's pretty incomplete. For example, the worst "whiteouts" I've been in, with almost zero visibility, have not been associated with any snowfall at all - just extremely thick fog. In fact, that's probably the most frequent cause of poor visibility. It's not necessarily associated with blizzards - a blizzard has wind, and generally in those very foggy conditions there isn't any wind. It is often the arrival of a breeze which sees off the fog, in fact. Snowheads could write a much better wikipedia entry than that. snojito's definitions are a good start, though you need to define visibility. There are clearly defined parameters for different kinds of poor visibility in marine terms - can't remember off the top of my head what they are, though.

It is perfectly possible to have "flat light" without a "whiteout" but to talk of having a "whiteout" without "flatlight" is meaningless because the snow looks the same as the sky, and the sky looks the same as the mountain, and there are no points of reference. The best person to have around in such a situation would definitely be a blind skier, because they would have become skilled in using other means of navigating, and would not be paralysed with nerves like most of us.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
The thing you learn in whiteouts (on a snowboard) is that you can be moving without realising it.

The other thing you learn is that while you may be able to follow others' silhouettes, you can't necessarily see the edge of the piste (white vs white).

So, I've gone off the edge of a piste in a whiteout. A nice, gently curving cruiser with a 4 foot dip to deepish snow on one side. No cliffs or rocks anywhere, so not too worrying - but one should still worry. This is because performing an unexpected somersault, to land with one end of the board digging in the snow like an anchor and bungeeing from one's ankle ligaments/tendons until they snap ain't too good for that ankle's stability in the following two years. Sad
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w, what was interesting is that I could traverse against a steep slope because I was using a sense of touch, feeling the snow against my the back of my legs and hands which gave me a sensation to rely upon, on the flat I was toast Very Happy

I am sure blind skiers similarly rely on such other senses, and having seen them fall they are a lot more relaxed and look upon it as part of the fun, so yes maybe you are right.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
crosbie, it is normalling the falling that informs you that you were actually moving Very Happy I suppose with skiing i.e. being on two feet, you have that small differential of movement that gives you some form of sensation, whereas on a board you actually have absolutely no idea of movement whatsoever Very Happy hope the ankle is ok now Shocked
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
crosbie, that sounds utterly horrendous, and a cautionary tale for all of us. Hope you're back to full power again.

My experience is more or less exactly the same as rayscoops. On a snowboard it was the flat (or nearly flat, or, as it turned out, uphill) areas that were the most disorientating. On the steep stuff, though, I'd definitely still want to know the piste very well (well enough to know it didn't disappear somewhere in the whiteness)

pam w,
Quote:
Snowheads could write a much better wikipedia entry than that
that's exactly what I was thinking! (and thank you Very Happy ) Like you, I'm also surprised there don't seem to be the kind of visibility parameters for snowsports that you mention for mariners. Or are there? Where's an instructor when you need one!?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I quite like white-outs as this was all I had for the first 2 weeks I ever went skiing, so I didn't know blue sky skiing.

I don't go fast just savour the quietness and stick to easy runs not far from the resort. It may sound strange but sometimes I've found it 'womb-like' as you are wrapped in this blanket of whiteness. I hope that doesn't make me sound odd!

Once in Meribel I could just about make out a little figure on the piste above Altiport. It turned out to be the last child in a ski school crocoldile line. I tagged onto the end and joined in when they made then 'whoo whoo' train noises! Very enjoyable!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
snojito, up hill falls in a white-out are by far the most embarrising as they generally manifest themselves as riding switch but looking up the hill rather than down the hill in the direction you should or are perceived to be going, even though you think you are going down hill you are really in snowboard terms anyway going up hill, which you not, you are really going down hill, backwards, I think Very Happy
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
rayscoops, maybe it's because I'm feverish, but I had a bit of bother figuring that one out... wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hurtle, simple, you think are riding down hill in a normal manner, but in reality you are facing up hill in your normal stance, so actually you sliding down hill going backwards looking up the hill Very Happy which is maybe what we actually do anyway, perhaps Little Angel
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rayscoops, I understand PERFECTLY now! wink wink wink
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:
I feel really sorry for the instructors and lifties/pisties who have to work in those conditions

Done the ski thing and the work thing in these conditions, spare a thought for the poor sun loving Californians riding the Cornice Express at Kirkwood on Easter Sunday 2006 when it was my call whether we kept loading or shutdown! Laughing Laughing Laughing Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Winterhighland, it's a good lift - had a bit of fun in Sentinel bowl in March
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:
It may only technically be a "flat light" situation. But it felt a lot worse than in a blizzard. Had I been below the treeline, it wouldn't have been an issue AT ALL.

That doesn't sound like what I call a "flat light" situation. If it's flat light, it's just as flat between the trees, or next door to the cafe or lift, as anywhere else - you can't see any detail on the surface of the snow, though other features are OK. What is described there, not knowing which way is what, sounds like bad visibility, which is very disorientating and saps confidence. Trees can help a lot, but in the sort of extreme white out that some posts above describe, trees are no use, because you can't see them until you bump into them! Skiing with other people is very difficult, too, because unless you're holding hands you lose sight of each other. In very poor visibility it helps to have someone to follow - but only if they are not going to lead you over a cliff! My friend was following me in a situation like that, and fortunately heard me shriek as I disappeared off the edge of the track, and stopped. AFter clambering back up, I made her go in front for a bit. That's why it's so good to be able to follow someone like a ski instructor, who can do the mountain blindfold.
snow report
Well, I was following the Wikipedia definition of flat vs white, which the forum had just declare not as accurate as our own.

So, it was a whiteout, as we snowheads know it.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy