Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Big Mountain (Whitefish, MT)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
3 powder hungry snowboarders have just booked flights to Kalispell airport for a 10 day trip to Big Mountain and Fernie 23 Jan - 2 Feb. The plan is to spend a couple of days in BM before moving on to Fernie for the next week.

Have any snowHead been to BM? Info to get me excited would be much appreciated! Tell me...

1) What were your overall impressions of the resort? Being in the middle of nowhere is it very quiet i.e. are we going to have the mountain to ourselves midweek? Very Happy

2) What sort of base is required for good coverage? They're reporting about 150cm at the mo.

3) Which runs are best? What's the typical mountain gradient - any steep and deep areas (like Fernie)? Is it mostly gladed or alpine terrain, or a decent mix of the two?

4) We're on a budget so we're thinking about staying in Hibernation House. What's it like? Where else is decent/cheap?

5) Any good bars/restaurants, or is the resort dead in the evenings?

Cheers! snowHead
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
hd, I thought I'd wait until someone more knowledgeable posted, but it looks like they're thin on the ground at the mo', so here goes...I've only skied one day in Big Mountain (a day trip from Fernie) and it was 6 or 7 years ago I think, but FWIW...

I really liked it there. It wasn't a massive area but it had a good feel to it with some nice terrain - the runs back down to the resort were mostly wide blues but with a relatively decent gradient I think. The sort of runs that it's really good to hack down on a quiet day. It was a fairly quiet area, but not deserted, so I wouldn't expect you to have the resort to yourselves unfortunately.

Over the back there were more trees and we did some good runs there but have absolutely no idea which ones! Nothing that struck me as too steep, but there may be some stuff if you look around. I've just had a quick look at the piste map and the best terrain looks to be off to the right and I have a vague recollection that this wasn't completely open when we were there, so it may be we missed some of the best bits.

We stopped in Whitefish for a few beers at the local microbrewery on the way home and that was really cool (on the corner at the end of the main street I think). Whitefish itself was pretty tiny but struck me as having a nice vibe to it - almost like a wild west feel. I remember it as having shops with swing doors and I could imagine gunfighters facing each other down the main street, but that may be my memory playing tricks on me!

Anyway, we liked it so much that we planned on going back the next year but it never happened and I guess we'll be waiting until the kids are older, or moved out. Sad

I'm sure you'll have a great time! Let us know what it was like.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
alan empty, cheers for the info much appreciated. If you only spent a day there maybe you won't be able to advise but is it better to stay in Whitefish or up on the hill? How long is the drive between the two? Is there anywhere decent/cheap to stay in Whitefish?

Oh and it dumped 26 cm there last night and snowfall is still being reported as I write... snowHead
http://bigmtn.com/index.php?a=sr/main
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
hd,

I learnt to ski on the Big Mountain! I'd love to go back now that I'm much more able to ski the tougher terrain.

The steep/deep terrain is on the back side. They've opened a new backside area called (I think) Hellroaring basin with trees and steeps that gets good reports.

You'll certainly have enough to ride if you're only staying for a couple of days. You will find that midweek is almost like having a private mountain. I stayed up at the resort base, and I have to say that after the immediate Apres when the lifts closed, nothing much happens up there. Whitefish however is a kicking town. If I recall correctly, it's only about a half-hour drive from Kalispell airport to the hill, and a 15 minute drive from Whitefish to the hill, (but there's no speed limit in Montana).

Sometimes it can be a bit of a lottery with the weather: they frequently get fog at the top of the mountain, which isn't a whole load of fun. On the other hand, when it's clear you get stunningviews over toward the Glacier National Park in one direction, and the Flathead valley in the other.

- Someone posted a whole load of photos over on Epic last year (can't remember exactly when), and I'd recommend doing a search to view them - they give you a pretty good feel for the hill.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
hd, my impression gels with Acacia's experience. The resort base seemed pretty limited and I'd planned on staying in Whitefish if we ever went back. However, I guess it could have changed a lot in recent years. And yeah, Epic is probably the forum to check.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Cheers for the heads up to the epic ski forum. Plenty of BM threads there, e.g. http://forums.epicski.com/showthread.php?t=33240&highlight=whitefish. Loads more if you do a search on "whitefish".
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I did a day in big mountain as a day trip from Fernie back in 2003, it was really hot and sunny and the snow was like skiing on icing IIRC it was 80 degrees or something like that ! the skiing was really nice but it was mainly wide groomers and one of the blacks I found the only reason for it being black was because it had a tree in the middle of it !

the stuff over the back was a little steeper and more fun Wink

the brewery and shopping was also pleasant and I am sure someone told me Robbie Williams had a house there ??
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy