Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Returning to Skiing

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

Just found this web site, it is brilliant. This is my first post, so forgive me if I have not followed any protocols.

My wife and I were reasonable intermediates (Red’s and some Black) 10 years ago before having kids. We mainly skied in Val Thorens, and thoroughly enjoyed it. We are probably very rusty now!

I have just booked flights into Geneva (without kids) for a 3 day session. We fly in at 19:55 on Sun 3rd Feb and out again on Wednesday 6th Feb at 21:00. We plan to hire a car to get around. I have a few questions.

1) Where is a good resort snow sure resort that is within driving distance (2h) of Geneva that is appropriate to our level of ability? We were looking at Chamonix as it appears easy to get to, but several people have said it is more for advanced ability range.
2) If we hire a car in Geneva, will it have snow chains?
3) Will I be able to drive it into France and Switzerland?
4) We have boots from 10 years ago. Will we be able to use them still?

Stephen.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ringingmaster, Welcome to snowHeads snowHead

1)Chamonix is decent and there si plenty of stuff in your range but lots of other good resorts some a fair bit cheaper.
Morzine for Portes de Soleil is good as is Samoens for Flaine area both are traditional resorts and easy to get to. La Clusaz and Megeve are meant to be pretty good as well.

2)From Swiss side all cars have snow tyres and chains. Car hire from French side of Geneva does not.

3)Can drive beween France and Switzerland although I have had restrictions on the south of France.

4) If they fit you yes but new boots may help if you keep going.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
welcome to Snowheads. you are making a good decision there... A few answers to your questions - others will follow

1. Go to Les Contamines, or maybe Flaine. Chamonix has everything, but some of it will be too advanced, and it's very spread out, and quite busy. You only have a couple of days, you don't want to spend them driving up and down the Chamonix valley.

2. If you hire on the Swiss side of Geneva, which is easier in every way, the car will probably have snow tyres as well as chains

3. Yes

4. Probably. Boots haven't changed as much as skis, and if they are comfortable and still fit you, why not?

snowHead snowHead snowHead
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

Boots haven't change much. They should still fit into bindings of today.

But your feet may have changed. So, put your feet into them and see if they still fit.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ringingmaster, Welcome. We took 7 years of because of kids. Got back in 2 years ago and now on 2 trips a season, 24/7 watching of web cams and buying a place out there. Be warned, there is no going back Toofy Grin Laughing
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
ringingmaster,
Chamonix is great for all levels of skiing including beginners, the only thing you should change is the number of days 3 will just be teasing your self much better to go for say 10.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ringingmaster, where do you ring?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
You guys are fast at replying. Thanks a heap for all the info.

I have just been emailing auto-europe about car hire from Swiss Geneva and they wont confirm that snow chains are available. I will just have to hope, but I have a heap more confidence that they will be after your replies. If not I will just have to buy some in a garage / service station on the way

jbob I would love to go for longer, however we can't leave the kids ( 5 & 8 yrs) for any longer with grandparents. This trip is for us to get our legs back prior to taking the kids for half term week in 2009.

NewSkier I ring at a heavy 8 at Monks Kirby in Warwickshire. The ringingmaster monica comes from my software. www.ringingmaster.co.uk
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I would go to Megeve - it is under an hour from Geneva and a very special place full of charm. I worked 2 seasons there and can recommend it highly. The skiing is excellent and you can easily ski to nearby villages. Check it out on the web and why not hire a 4 x 4 so no worry over chains.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Is Megeve likely to snow sure in early February? Only having 3 days, this is important to us.

Steve.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.

Usable yes, advisable most likely no. Boots changed probably more then skis over the last 10 years, and they are very important to skiing (They connect you to the ski Wink )

Probably advisable to take some refreshment lessons Wink
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Boots changed probably more then skis over the last 10 years
as you can see, you will lots of different point of view on Snowheads!! I think if your boots are comfortable, and snug, they should be fine and a three day holiday is not the best time to start fiddling around with hired boots which may not be so comfortable. I have several friends who visit us who have boots a great deal more than 10 years old, and they have no problem at all, clipping them into up to date skis and whizzing round the mountain. A high proportion of skiers in small French resorts are still in the old rear-entry boots; it doesn't seem to slow them down much. But skis have changed enormously, mostly by getting shorter, easier, and generally more user-friendly. Hire skis no higher than your nose.

Would agree that Megeve is a great place - very attractive traffic-free centre with horse drawn carriages. Nice, well groomed, civilised, non scary, skiing. Stunning scenery, Mont Blanc in the background. Snow should be no problem. Megeve is in the bottom of a valley (as are all proper towns in the Alps!) so resort level snow is not guaranteed (same applies in Chamonix, of course) but up the mountain there shouldn't be a problem. It's more sophisticated and expensive than Les Contamines - you can eat exceptionally well there, though some of the restaurants are absurdly expensive - more Michelin stars than you shake a ski stick at. But there are plenty of more reasonable places too and skilegs should be able to recommend some good ones! You will find a lot of French accommodation will only do one week stays, but that's a quiet week, and you might be in luck. You only have a few days (thank goodness for grandparents) so you probably won't mind spending a bit more to stay somewhere nice. If you want to try to keep costs down, La Clusaz or Les Contamines would be cheaper. A private lesson would be a good idea, certainly, and maybe someone will be able to recommend an instructor in Megeve.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pam w: I do see your point. A fitting boot of today should allow easier/better control, but it may be too hard to find a hire boot for just 3 days thats comfortable/fitting enough to not negate its advantage by hurting the poor feet.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ringingmaster, I know Monks Kirby - rang there on outing as recently as last Sept. John Illingworth used to be a friend of ours back in his Manchester/Birm days - small world eh? I'm at a newly augmented 10 (soon to be 12) in North Lincolnshire. I use that software too, also MethodMaster & WinRk wink
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
my mum got back to skiing after 16 years last year. She had a whale of time. im sure you will do aswell.
snow conditions
Thanks for the advice on the ski length. I am 188cm tall, 190lb and used to ski on 195cm skis. Therefore, I assume I now need to move to 175cm or 180cm skis?

I did not expect that it would be a problem getting just three nights of accommodation. I was planning on waiting until a couple of weeks before and watching the conditions in the various resorts, but I guess I should keep my fingers crossed and get on with it.
latest report
ringingmaster, welcome back - you know it makes sense ! snowHead
snow report
Quote:
I have just been emailing auto-europe about car hire from Swiss Geneva and they wont confirm that snow chains are available. I will just have to hope

ringingmaster, I always use Argus car rentals for Geneva (Swiss) car rentals and snow chains have always been available from SiXT or whoever you end up renting off. Even got a brand spanking new Audi A3 Sportback last time for half the price of going direct to SiXT.
snow report
ringingmaster, A very wise man once told me that a ladies feet can change after having kids, so you need to get lovely new boots for your better half and you can just make do with the old ones wink
snow conditions
ringingmaster, wiser counsels will probably be along soon, but I'd be inclined to go to no more than 170cms for ski length on piste. Should be plenty, you're not exactly huge!! In the very unlikely event that you are skiing so fast and furious that 170skis feel too unstable, you can take them back and get different ones (not necessarily longer, but maybe heavier/stiffer/more of a ski.
ski holidays
From Geneva, Megeve is a very good choice as the terrain can be gentel and confidence building, plus women like it. La Clusaz is nearest pretty much and
Flaine or Les Gets will do as well. All on the French side.

Keep an eye out for the snow and also what Accomodation is doing that week.

For the Swiss side, you could try Morgins, Nendaz/Les Collons to ski Verbier.

Courmeyuer through the Mont Blanc tunnel is worth it as well.

FWIW, a gentle 3 day, close resort and easy drive, re-introduction to skiing and the right ambience ... my choice would be Megeve if the snow is good.
Flaine for higher skiing but stark 60's concrete buildings or La Clusaz for a bit of everything.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Thu 20-12-07 21:05; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Quote:

or Les Clusaz for a bit of everything.

Agreed, if you just go for one Clusaz you don't get the variety needed.
snow report
T Bar, wink
snow conditions
JT wrote:

Megeve is a very good choice as the terrain can be gentel and confidence building, plus women like it.

You're speaking on behalf of all women skiers here, are you quite sure now Toofy Grin
ski holidays
ringingmaster, welcome to snowHeads. As mentioned, you may well enjoy the changes to made to skis in the last 10 years. General rule of thumb is ski length to chin for beginners/early intermediates and ski length to eye-level for t'others. Obviously personal choice comes in, but as a guide its not too bad.

BTW did you know Dr John Leary?
ski holidays
snowbunny, but they know we all just luuurve window shopping, don't they? Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
snowbunny, but they know we all just luuurve window shopping, don't they? Evil or Very Mad

Well quite Twisted Evil

Personally, I like Megeve for being fabulously deserted when it's snowing, and having plenty of tree lined runs to improve visibility Toofy Grin

I was unsure where JT was coming from with "it" Laughing
latest report
After struggling to find 3 nights accommodation in Megeve and La Clusaz, we have finally booked to go to Argentiere. Looking forwards to our return to skiing. Heading up to the snow dome for a couple of refresher lessons over the next couple of weeks.

Thanks everyone for all your help.

Stephen.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

we have finally booked to go to Argentiere.
in the deep end! Hope you have a great time and find that it all comes back to you. snowHead
ski holidays
Just a couple of points:-
I too have old boots, bought in 1982!!! and take them every year. I always hire boots at start of week but by the end I'm skiing in my old faithfuls which might not be the trendiest and best looking but they are COMFORTABLE.

Glad to see to you are being sensible and going to Snowdome before abroad - test out your old boots there. Just walking around the house in them is not the same as skiing in them.
Finally if Auto-Europe cannot guarantee snow tyres/chains dump them. You shouldn't have to buy them for their car (and chains can be quite expensive). There are plenty of other Hire companies at Geneva airport.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy