Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Please, please, please Wear a helmet . . .

Poster: A snowHead
If you regularly go at 10mph, do you need a lid? 30? 50? If you go 10m off-piste/out of bounds should you be beeping? 50m? 500m? All down to your own judgement and an informed understanding of the risks if you misjudge it.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
My wife is a physio who works on the neurological side of things (rehab of patients after head trauma) and everyone she works with believes that helmets can aid in the prevention of brain trauma due to impact injuries - wether this be from skiing into a tree, falling off your bike or getting hit over the head with a baseball bat.

Obviously, every single accident is different so it's hard to compare and generalise results, but if my wife and, more importantly, the (brain) surgeons and medics she works with say that a helmet will vastly reduce the chance of severe or fatal brain trauma then i'll listen and wear one.

Just my tuppence worth Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

wearing a helmet is no longer uncool, it's the norm

I would not go quite as far as that... My last trip to Austria suggests that most people do not wear one.

This year was the first time I was actually wearing a helmet since I was a kid. But it's because I have taken up boarding and I do feel it slams you into the ground when falling, a lot more than skiing.
While skiing, I would not bother... My parents got me a helmet in the early 80s when I was 10 year old..Consequently, I felt undestructible and was skiing a lot more dangerously, pretty much straight lining it from top to bottom of run...I think in a way the helmet made me more "unsafe".

People should stop trying to dictate/impose their view on the rest by using cards like "irresponsibility" or "no excuses" or "useless"... I don't believe for a second that a helmet is a fashion accessory (you should see the look of me with one on..) and people should decide to wear it or not depending on how and where they do their skiing/snowbaording..If people try and cover every single accident possible, they are going to go down the runs in full body armor while in the middle of a giant airbag with an army of pisteurs around them! rolling eyes

Health and safety is "destroying" life these days...
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Round and round we go....
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hurtle, aye, it's one big roundabout Very Happy

It's funny, i'm on a mountain biking forum as well and this argument has been raging on for years! Each to their own, but i'll be wearing a helmet cause i like to ski fast and steep, sometimes both at the same time Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I like wearing my helmet, its a cool design and it keeps my head & ears toasty (although it makes me look like an absolute retard!!)
Since i have started wearing one I actually havent fallen and bumped my head but I know the minute I stop then I will fall over & regret not wearing it.
My brother has never worn a helmet before this year and he fell over after a small jump & hit is head quiet hard, if he hadnt had the helmet on he would of had concussion. We all wear helmets & think its money well spent (plus the whole group looks as bad as each other so no mickey taking !!)
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
shoogly, Toofy Grin (I'll be wearing a helmet too, 'cos I'm scared of other people on the pistes and also because, to my complete surprise, I've found it more comfortable than a hat.)
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
DebbiDoesSnow, can you explain your location? Is it advisable to wear a helmet there? wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Kruisler, piffle and/or tosh - Health and Safety is usually saving lives, but has become a convenient excuse, like "political correctness" for demonising sensible changes.

Helmets should be a choice for adults. I see way more strident argument here from the antis than the pros.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
stoatsbrother, the difference is that AFAIK no 'anti' has advocated forcing 'pros' to dispense with their helmets or questioned their mental faculties. It really isn't surprising than an 'anti' would be strident against those denying:

Quote:
Helmets should be a choice for adults.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
laundryman, no but from last weeks experience kevlar back protectors and rearview mirrors are in order !
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
stoatsbrother wrote:
Kruisler, piffle and/or tosh - Health and Safety is usually saving lives, but has become a convenient excuse, like "political correctness" for demonising sensible changes.

Helmets should be a choice for adults. I see way more strident argument here from the antis than the pros.

health and safety was meant to save lives, now it is more directed at @rse covering in case of an accident and the ensuing suing Smile which is why there is bit a a back lash against it becasue it has gone from a necessity to something that is now quite rediculous. Most people do not like others shoving their views down their throats, in the same way they do not like being told what they can and can not wear as safety precautions. It is a simple choice for the individual.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hurtle wrote:
Round and round we go....

Sorry about that but I think this is going to be my weekly rant! Embarassed wink

stoatsbrother,

Health and Safety has its place but as usual/always in these days of political correctness and lawsuits, it is being taken too far...and often is not just a convenient excuse..
As a student, I remember being asked to fill in a 10 pages H&S form at uni so that I could use run of the mill/standard model kit glue to build my test models. rolling eyes

DebbiDoesSnow,

I really feel for your friend, but it was a freak accident and back protectors would certainly have helped but were not designed with that sort of accidents in mind. A friend of mine managed to get his calf sliced open by his own ski edge on a low speed fall(really bad, losing a lot of blood, had to be helicoptered straight off to hospital..). Should he wear calf protectors?

What I am saying is that if we try and cover every possiblity we'll all end up skiing in some sort of padded kevlar exoskeleton..that will be fun! not....

I had a helmet last week and it did help on one occasion but as Laundryman says people that do not were wear one should not be cast as irresponsible or even just making a bad decision...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rayscoops,

100% agreed. My point exactly only better made! Very Happy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
gel filled beanies rule ok Very Happy
ski holidays
Kruisler,
Quote:

Sorry about that but I think this is going to be my weekly rant!

That's alright, enjoy!! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
I think the pendulum is clearly swinging in favour generally. On my trip to Austria last week, I did a few counts, people in restaurants, on lifts, in lift queues etc. to see how many were helmet wearers, and there were actually more withs than withouts.

Very unscientific survey of course, but very different result to if I had done the same exercise 5 years ago.

I resisted for years for all the usual reasons, but have since invested, and you know what, I moaned about buying it, I moaned about it in the shop, in the car on the way home from buying it, and I moaned about putting it on for the first time in Alpendorf last week. But once I got over the moaning bit, it didn't cross my mind again, really comfy, not sweaty at all, fab. All my reasons for not wanting one, were in fact non-reasons.

I am converted!

D
latest report
Deliaskis, they are now so comfy and warm you do not even know you have one on, until you catch a look at your self in a mirror Laughing btw never wash the padded rubber insert thingies in the washing machine - they shrink Embarassed
ski holidays
rayscoops, ahh, good advice thank you!

Actually, one of my original objections was that I thought I looked stupid in it (yes I know rolling eyes ), but I since realised that this is because I do look stupid in them when trying them on in S&R at the weekend in my Saturday shopping clothes. On the piste, on skis, in ski gear, skiing, it doesn't look stupid at all, so even my vanity is no longer offended!!

D
snow conditions
rayscoops wrote:
gel filled beanies rule ok Very Happy
never heard of one of those !!

Personally I don't care whether other people wear helmets or not, I just like wearing mine as it gives me a little more confidence after a couple of stupid toe/heel edge knocks.

Kruisler I know what your saying about protectors, I don't wear one, and not sure I will.
It was a mega freak accident, but for her it would of made a huge difference from being sliced through bare skin to the board having to make its way though jacket & protector which could of prevented it touching bone.
snow conditions
DebbiDoesSnow, someone posted a video of a snowboarder being wacked on the knee with a shovel, but he had a gel pad in a pcket over the knee and did not feel a thing, I think it is the same material as the ski suits and I am sure i read somewhere that someone was doing beanies with facility to put these gel pads in them.

I woukd prefer a 'gelled-up' beanie to no helmet Laughing and maybe even to a helmet.

Maybe Snowangel should look in to this for us Very Happy

Actually I want a gel suit, baggy and round my @rse Laughing
snow report
rainman wrote:
backhojo, last year was my first time wearing a helmet - like you my decision was partly driven by wanting to set a good example to my youngest. On the first day out I decided to drop into the park at Argentiere, hit a huge jump (really, a 35 year old man - I should know better!), didn't land it and smacked my head very hard. With the helmet - a headache. Without it, who knows? It's (literally) a no-brainer.

Agreed. Backhojo, seriously, once you've worn a helmet you will never go back to itchy, damp (either sweat or melting snow), stinking, cold hats.
latest report
chivdog wrote:
you will never go back to itchy, damp (either sweat or melting snow), stinking, cold hats.

Couple of years ago in the Pyrenees, I was moaning on the bus up to the mountain that someone smelt of wet unwashed dog, the smell just wouldnt go away.... later we discovered it was my (un)woollen bobble hat Embarassed
snow report
DebbiDoesSnow, you keep telling yourself that that was the problem wink i had the same thing with my unwashed helmet which is how i worked out that the foam/rubber inners shrink Laughing
snow report
rayscoops, I assure you, the minute that hat went in the bin the smell disappeared Laughing
Please tell me that you didnt put the liner in the washing machine ????
ski holidays
DebbiDoesSnow, yip Embarassed
ski holidays
rayscoops wrote:
I am sure i read somewhere that someone was doing beanies with facility to put these gel pads in them.

see here: http://d3olab.com/products.php?section=4 (scroll down for the Quiksilver beanie and further for the Ignite beanie - lots of interesting applications along the way)
snow report
Tony Lane wrote:
rayscoops wrote:
I am sure i read somewhere that someone was doing beanies with facility to put these gel pads in them.

see here: http://d3olab.com/products.php?section=4 (scroll down for the Quiksilver beanie and further for the Ignite beanie - lots of interesting applications along the way)

It's more like flexible polystyrene sheets rather than gel. I have a slalom vest made with it. A bit lighter an easier to wear than the hard plastic protective vests I tried.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Beanies with the gel inserts can be bought here http://www.snowfusion.co.uk/sc/367/Ribcaps.htm but at £54 each a proper helmet is better value, offers more protection and more styles are available for the fashion conscious.

Also a snowheads sticker will stay put on a helmet but probably not on a beanie.
latest report
rob@rar wrote:
It's more like flexible polystyrene sheets rather than gel. I have a slalom vest made with it. A bit lighter an easier to wear than the hard plastic protective vests I tried.

does it return to normal after impact?

(I wouldn't want it instead of a helmet, but some other applications look good)
latest report
Tony Lane, yes, very quickly.
snow report
This thread is useless without a poll somewhere, I'm off to see if I have sufficient privilages to set one up on a new thread. Watch this space and ignore me whilst I play with a new thread in the Piste.
ski holidays
rob@rar, maybe a bit of cutting and sticky back plastic and hey presto - cheap beanie ! plus also replace the bulky crash pants padding with the polystyrene sheets. Where can i buy a vest?? Laughing
PisteHead, the snowHead H&S Executive does not recommend sticking anything on helmet Shocked and accepts no liability therefore Shocked , but a sew on version is ok for beanies Very Happy
latest report
Megamum wrote:
This thread is useless without a poll somewhere, I'm off to see if I have sufficient privilages to set one up on a new thread. Watch this space and ignore me whilst I play with a new thread in the Piste.

I hope this is not going to cause arguments wink

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 29-01-08 18:58; edited 1 time in total
snow report
rayscoops, I suspect it will.....

and be controversial wink

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Tue 29-01-08 18:59; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
One factor that doesn't differ between hats & helmets is ....... HAT HAIR..... the worst thing to afflict a style conscious individual on the slopes!
snow conditions
boredsurfin, there was a difference between the subtle meaning in my mind wink that needed editing
latest report
DebbiDoesSnow, i would recommend having a No. 2 Laughing
snow report
rayscoops, Very Happy Laughing
snow report
Can mere mortals post a poll? I've tried a new post and using the edit facility in an existing first post, in both the 'piste' and 'apres'. I know what questions I want to put in and I've read the destructions. It says if you can't see the 'add poll' thing at the end of a post you might not have privilages - is it a mods/admins only thing?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy