Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Flaine - Christmas

Poster: A snowHead
Hi - Booked a cheepie over Christmas - 3 days on slopes only - hotel looks very 'ordinary'

Any tips for making most of my time? where to go on the couple of evenings I have out there and lift passes/areas etc?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sorry havent a great deal of time Wink

-Night life is very quiet but pretty central. The tourist board will put some entertainment on for Xmas week in the centre.

-Passes can be bought from the Bottom main Gondola station in Flaine for days/weeks etc. Very reasonable.

We went last Xmas and had a good time. With the better snow you should have a ball!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi,

Had a family holiday in Flaine at Easter this year and we are going back for Easter 2008. We have young kids so not really party animals but here goes my advice on a few subjects.

As far as lift passes go you can have either a full Grand Massif Pass or a Flaine bowl pass - we had pre-booked a Grand Massive pass but the snow was poorer lower down towards Samoens, Morillon and Les Carroz so we actually only ski'd the Flaine area (which is still huge) and could have got away with just the Flaine pass. The piste map we got while we where there has a blue circle around the Flaine pass covered area so might be worth taking a look at a piste map locally before deciding on a pass. If you want to ski down to the lower villages then you will need the Grand Massif pass - not sure on the price difference between the two passes.

The small Telebenne (yoghurt pots) lift is free which means if you get there mid afternoon and want an hours ski-ing you can do a green and red run for free for an hour or 2 then buy a pass the following morning. The telebenne lift connects the bottom of the pistes at the Forum level with the bottom of the pistes at the foret (upper level).

There is a lovely eatery for lunch on the green 'epicea' run from the top of this telebenne lift. Take the epicea run, don't turn right onto the red run and you end up on a small flat section which you need to pole along - nice eatery for lunch on the left hand side (can't remember its name unfortunately).

My favourite run there is 'Faust' - a superb red run down from the top Les Grand Platieres but there are lots and lots to choose from - as mentioned we were 'restricted' to the Flaine area due to poorer snow lower down but there was enough to go at for a week.

For food on an evening I would recommend the italian in the shopping precinct (sounds dodgy) - think it was called Chez Pierrot - they did a tastey fondue and great pizzas for the kids.

There is a helpful boot tweaker down in the lower forum level who stretched the big toe area of one of my ski-boots while I waited for 7.50Euros. I think he is the only guy in town with the heating/stretching tools so if you have any boot woes, he's the guy to head for. He was in the middle of the main, slopeside run of stores/cafes in the forum level.

You'll have a great time - let us know how you get on and leave some snow for me end of March
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
My son has lost his F**&&^%$$ passport.

Thanks for replies - looks like I have just blown £££££ on a last minute deal this morning in order to spend a few days of quality time with him only to sit at home in drizzle.

Sad
Sad
Sad
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
go to a local passport office and get a new one. It will be the best part of a day and a few quid, but is achievable NehNeh

Good luck wink
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
...or change the ticket name and give it to a friend Little Angel
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

It will be the best part of a day and a few quid, but is achievable
yes it is - go for it. If you live in surrey, go up to Petty France. I have a neighbour who had to do that, it only took him a couple of hours. You have to pay though....
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I was all set to take a day off work to do this as I was under the same impression. I phoned them twice last night as I was convinced the first person I spoke to was mistaken. Apparently the 'day' service is only available when you realise your passport has run out and can take the old one in. can't believe I can't get passport sorted. Its not the money - they can give me an appointment for tomorrow but insist I can't take a new passport away with me - they say they can send it and it's a 9 day service over Christmas.

I'm currently on hold to see what travel co. can do - very little I suspect as I only booked it at 10.00am yesterday.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Fri 28-12-07 14:27; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Try the passport office again. A few years ago a friend of mine found out at 4am he had lost his passport (was planning an 8am GAtwick flight), but got a new one sorted out and ended up taking an early afternoon flight. Met up with us in time for dinner.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Does son have any other photo ID (Drivers licence?) I don't think you actually *need* a passport to travel within the EU, although it might be a bit harder work.

Although thinking about it, if you're flying to Geneva, then that probably does take you outside EU-land.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
robcraine wrote:
Does son have any other photo ID (Drivers licence?) I don't think you actually *need* a passport to travel within the EU, although it might be a bit harder work.

Although thinking about it, if you're flying to Geneva, then that probably does take you outside EU-land.

The problem is this - even though you don't always require a passport to travel within EU coungrties (eg over spain france borders in a car!) the Airlines insist on it a) for security and b) because they get fined when passengers land without it. I spent 25 mins getting through to BA this morning to discuss that and also called passport office for the 4th time to quadruple check.

I have been through every option.

Sad

Thanks for the help though
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Honda Kitty, that's really a sod. Very bad luck. My son was taken into Petty France by a British Air hostess once, he was travelling as unaccompanied minor and had lost his passport somewhere en route to airport. He got a new one on the spot, but missed the flight, of course, and had to travel 24 hours later. Then, because of being so tired, he fell asleep in Los Angeles after having checked in for the next leg of his flight, and they went without him.... it's a long sad story, but he got there in the end. But, the point is, he definitely did get a new passport that same day.

His old one turned out to have been slipped down in his backpack, between the backpack itself and the big plastic lining bag.

If all absolutely, absolutely, fails. You could try going with a passport, any passport, preferably one of someone vaguely similar to your son. Then being terribly surprised and shocked if anyone spots it. My daughter in law, as a newly qualified teacher in her first month of her first job, was on a school art trip to Paris, and nearly died to discover on the coach that she had her husband's passport. He is nothing like her, and has very short hair, whereas her's is quite girly. Nobody noticed.

If somebody does notice on the way out, you won't go. But you're no worse off. On the way back, you'd get back. One of my nephews lost a passport in Alpbach and came back into the UK without it - he wasn't straightforward either, as he had a Zimbabwe passport...... We had to sign stuff, and sort it out on return. His father, my brother in law, vouched for him (had British passport) and it wasn't a big deal.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Dont eBay do passports yet? NehNeh
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w wrote:
Honda Kitty, that's really a sod. Very bad luck. My son was taken into Petty France by a British Air hostess once, he was travelling as unaccompanied minor and had lost his passport somewhere en route to airport. He got a new one on the spot, but missed the flight, of course, and had to travel 24 hours later. Then, because of being so tired, he fell asleep in Los Angeles after having checked in for the next leg of his flight, and they went without him.... it's a long sad story, but he got there in the end. But, the point is, he definitely did get a new passport that same day.

His old one turned out to have been slipped down in his backpack, between the backpack itself and the big plastic lining bag.

If all absolutely, absolutely, fails. You could try going with a passport, any passport, preferably one of someone vaguely similar to your son. Then being terribly surprised and shocked if anyone spots it. My daughter in law, as a newly qualified teacher in her first month of her first job, was on a school art trip to Paris, and nearly died to discover on the coach that she had her husband's passport. He is nothing like her, and has very short hair, whereas her's is quite girly. Nobody noticed.

If somebody does notice on the way out, you won't go. But you're no worse off. On the way back, you'd get back. One of my nephews lost a passport in Alpbach and came back into the UK without it - he wasn't straightforward either, as he had a Zimbabwe passport...... We had to sign stuff, and sort it out on return. His father, my brother in law, vouched for him (had British passport) and it wasn't a big deal.

Hi Pam, thanks for your reply but sadly this is not the case, it may have been so previously years ago but certainly now it is not possible.

I have called the passport office 4 times, spoken to 4 different people who all tell me the same and it is also quite clear on their website.

Beleive me if it was possible I would be at Petit France right now!!! my son is 18 - almost 19 and holds a full british passport and they simply do not issue replacement adult passports on the spot.... ever! They only issue renewal (where it has expired) or replacement (where it is damaged) - ie. where you ahve something to show them. In the case of a lost passport they have to post them to the address on the paperwork you present - it is an extra security check - they offer a 5 day return service when you have an appointment which is now a 9 days service over Christmas - I can get an appointment today or tomorrow but they will only send them in the post - not hand them over!!

I am travelling with British Airways - I have called them as well and they state categorically that they will not accept any other form of ID to fly. I don't know anyone who looks like him, nor do I wish to take such a huge risk and be forced to abandon him an airport on Sunday night prior to Christmas. I can't imagine they'd be fooled by this at all!

Thanks for the comments & help but without passport you can't fly out with BA - probably others too and without an old passport you can't get a new adult one in a day - no matter what the story is! Sad (actually they are able to exercise discretion in cases of life or death or extreme emergency - which this is not)

P.S. getting back into the UK is different as the Embassy in that country you happen to be in can step in and issue so you can return home - also if you're on a coach it's slightly different as you don't always get checked
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hi getting really excited now this will be our first family ski holiday to Flaine with our two budding skiiers (Aged 4 and 6!). We were really pleased to hear that the snow will be good and the tips about the free lifts on our arrival day. We're staying at Le Totem with Crystal, have a heard a few dodgy things about it but we will make the best of it I'm sure! Is the hotel quite central and can you ski to it does anyone know? thanks and happy holidays.....
ski holidays
dawny,

The Hotel Totem I think is just off the base of the slopes at the lower Forum level - its a very good location and and also really close to the shops, cafes, bars, ski hire shops etc.

Can't comment on what its like as never been in but certainly the loction is ace !
ski holidays
Honda Kitty, Sons rolling eyes , who'd have 'em! When did your son last use his passport? My son's turned up - eventually. It was found down the side of the seat of his Dad's car. He had picked him up from the airport a few months previously and it was found when the back seats were folded up to collect something too big to go in the boot. (My son had a new one by then.) Anyway, a long shot perhaps, but have you searched the car that picked him up from his last trip?
ski holidays
maggi, You would not believe it if I told you - (his attitude towards this).. Sad

I spoke to the passport office for a 5th time yesterday evening - spoke to a senior manager - who in the style of a robot repeated their mantra "we can only guarantee 5 days, or 9 over bank hols, we don't offer a day service for lost passports because we cannot carry out the neccessary security checks" I pushed him and pushed him, told him that everyone keeps telling me that they know someone who has done it but their advisers on the phone say it's absolutely not possible - he eventually said it was up to the discretion of the person on the counter. So I'm gonna go & beg - not sure if it's worth it - especially after the comments about the Hotel Totem and my son's truculance and ungratefulness about it all.

Sad

also my son had his passport for college ID and for a sainsbury's recruitment event - both in last couple of months - I have phoned both of those things and quite literally turned the house inside out 30 times. Anyway - wish me luck - both for the passport and my sanity - I'm gonna give it a go today.
snow report
Quote:

my son's truculance and ungratefulness about it all.
Oh dear, Honda Kitty, that sounds grim. Tell him to get stuffed, get your music together and go for a blast without the little sod. My son wasn't truculent - he had £10 travelling money from his school, which he spent on chocs for the British Airways hostess who had taken him into Petty France to get a new passport. Rules have obviously really tightened up since then. We met the same hostess the following year, and she remembered him and gave him a huge hug, to his intense embarassment, in front of an entire jumbo full of passengers. Not as embarassed as his brother though - she announced to the assembly, in a piercing Welsh accent - "and that's his brother, who flew off to Fiji and left his little brother in London". Dan's excuse was he had TOLD his disorganised little brother to let him look after the passports, and Nick had REFUSED to let his brother take charge, so it was jolly well HIS OWN FAULT. He spent the first overnight of his delayed trip with an uncle of mine, who fortunately lived near Heathrow, and the second - in Los Angeles - with a kind Canada Airways hostess who took him home and fed him hot cakes and syrup for his breakfast. When he told me about it all, he said of the moment in LA when he had rushed to the departure gate, after falling asleep exhausted, to find his flight gone, and a pile of GIs waiting for a military flight "I did cry then, Mum". Since then he's travelled the world, including a summer spent picking apples in Switzerland and another packing lettuces in Germany, Africa, Asia, etc and never lost his passport since.
latest report
Hairy Boy wrote:
dawny,

The Hotel Totem I think is just off the base of the slopes at the lower Forum level - its a very good location and and also really close to the shops, cafes, bars, ski hire shops etc.

Can't comment on what its like as never been in but certainly the loction is ace !

I've stayed in the Totem twice with Crystal, I think it's a great hotel. Not pretty (but that's Flaine as a whole). I love the ski and boot lockers as well, it's one of the most secure boot rooms I've ever used. Good location, good food, friendly staff - and Flaine has excellent skiing. Mephisto is a FAB run.

On another note, what a b***er about the passport situation, such a shame Sad
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy