Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Buying skis purely on review...and what length ?

Poster: A snowHead
I'm looking at picking up some new skis (probably Fischer AMC 76 or 79's) purely based on review and because I may be able to get some new ones for circa £130 delivered (with mounted bindings). I know this sounds silly but I'd like to get some before I go in March, as I'm 40 when I go but don't want to spend a fortune. Last year's models are fine by me.

As £130 is approximately double what I would pay to hire for a single week, it seems a reasonable punt. I'll still need to get poles though.

I'm confident on all reds and some blacks and like carving so will the Fischer skis suit me and if so should it be the 76's or the 79's. I like the look of twin tip skis but are they good for cruising and carving etc ? How important is the binding choice as well ?

and my length question is:

I'm 6'1" and about 73-73Kg. I'm unsure of whether to go with 170cm or 176cm for the length.

Someone please let me know if I'm being silly even doing this without trying them as I'm annoying my wife my becoming obsessed with it. Toofy Grin

Thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
pokemon,

Don't know, but I think Dan100 is selling some
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
pokemon, you're not being silly at that price!
I'd say 170 for the 79 or 176 for the 76, but the 176 length in either ski might be the best option.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
pokemon, If I hadn't spent €750 on a new pair of skis last year without trying them, I'd say you were being daft - as even at 2 x weeks hire, on a weeks hire you can always go back and change. If you really hate them, you can go hire something then flog them on reBay for probably more than you paid.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I did exactly the same, bought AMC76s based on the mostly good reviews and dirt cheap price from Germany. Was not disappointed.

Your own skiing analysis suggests you are not over-confident and mainly stick to the piste. So go for the 170cm 76s. They carve as well as you want them to. The 79 is more biased to off-piste, but the 76 is fine for all-mountain use, I regularly go off-p on mine.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
pokemon, go for it as that's a bargain price for great skis without the bindings, let alone with them. I'd think the 76's might be better suited to you but you wouldn't be going wrong with either. I'm with Foxy re the sizing.

What bindings will they come with? Whilst binding build quality does vary between models you'd be fine with any of the 4-12 Fischer/Tyrolia's. If you need the bindings adjusting &/or the forward pressure adjusting when you get them then pop round.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pokemon, I bought skis without skiing/seeing them, because they were a good deal vs. hire costs and because the folks on here said they would be OK - I've yet to try them on a proper mountain, but have taken them to a snow dome and so far don't regret the purchase if that helps any?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I am selling some AMC79s but I suspect at 182 they will be a tad long. You also too well aware of what you can buy them for new. First of all, despite selling them, they are a very good one ski quiver. They have an excellent edge hold on hardpack. Ifound difference from RX8 i own was they really want to do long turns but they can be manouvered in to short turns.
This year I decided to go fatter to hold up my 95kg and couldn't resist a pair of new atomic nomad crimsons for £245. I paid a similar price to £130 last year for the AMcs last year and no regrets. the 79s are a good one ski quiver. Buy this if you're going to spend 50% off piste. If more like 30%go for 76. I would say buy it in 176 length (despite having a pair of 79s for sale at 182 wink ). I think I will trust to Ebay to sell mine. Too many well informed snowheads know what you can actually buy these skis for. Don't know why people spend£300 + on B78s and Apache recons when youc an buy these.

What I would say I had a bid on this year's model as I felt I could buy from ski bilek and sell on for a profit on UK ebay. This years model sold for 161 euros. I suspect you could get a good deal on either 76s or 79s. Fischer are excellent skis
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pokemon, i'm just back from a weeked of trying my new 2007/8 AMC76 in 176cm in Val Thorens

they were great, nimble and very stable for blasting down the piste and i'm 6' and 98kg so i reckon you might be better off on the 170s

mine came with from ski bilek with vist bindings rather then the usual tyrolia ones
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
out of interest why one of the all mountain skis and not a pure piste ski
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
BTW pokemon, what is
Quote:
73-73Kg
? Is that the same as 73kg or am I missing something? Smile

I am glad to see Roger C agrees with me regarding the length - you really don't need to go long with this ski, not on piste.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
the ice perv, typo I meant 73-75. This is an assumption as I don't own scales and never weigh myself and my last recorded weight was about 73kg. Next time I'm at the Gym I'll weigh myself and report back accurately.

After looking in Two Seasons today a 170cm length seems about right (level with the middle of my nose) although I didn't have by ski boots on. The length is more of a concern to me than the actual ski, as I trust the consensus of reviews for the actual ski. Hhhhmm, 170 or 176. Why dont they do a 173 rolling eyes

Roger C, do you mind if I ask how much you paid as I had seen AMC 76's and 79's from ski-bilek (ebay shop) for circa £100 + delivery + mounting ?

dan100, They are available at a good price and have good reviews. Other than that no preference. Although I am a 99% piste skier I do like to try moguls and go off the sides of the pistes sometimes. Would this make a difference ?

Anyway thanks for the advice so far

Forgot to ask, will my Salomon Perform 8 (size 28.0) boots fit the bindings of these skis and indeed any other ski I may consider ??
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pokemon wrote:
the ice perv, typo I meant 73-75. This is an assumption as I don't own scales and never weigh myself and my last recorded weight was about 73kg. Next time I'm at the Gym I'll weigh myself and report back accurately.

After looking in Two Seasons today a 170cm length seems about right (level with the middle of my nose) although I didn't have by ski boots on. The length is more of a concern to me than the actual ski, as I trust the consensus of reviews for the actual ski. Hhhhmm, 170 or 176. Why dont they do a 173 rolling eyes

Roger C, do you mind if I ask how much you paid as I had seen AMC 76's and 79's from ski-bilek (ebay shop) for circa £100 + delivery + mounting ?

dan100, They are available at a good price and have good reviews. Other than that no preference. Although I am a 99% piste skier I do like to try moguls and go off the sides of the pistes sometimes. Would this make a difference ?

Anyway thanks for the advice so far

Forgot to ask, will my Salomon Perform 8 (size 28.0) boots fit the bindings of these skis and indeed any other ski I may consider ??

If you buy new all skis should have the bindings to fit your boots. Most of the Fisccher skis are on a railflex binding on a plate and are fully adjustable.
My comment about a piste orientated ski is whether if you are not going off piste why not have a ski that perdorms better on piste. All mountain skis are good on piste but as they can do other things inevitably there is a degree of compromise. your issue is whetherr you compromise on off piste performance and get the fischer RX8/9 that delivers better on piste or get AMC 76 with a slight on piste compromise. If you are going to get more adventurous then AMC76 in temr of length I thought 176 as I thought that would be about chin high. If 170 is chin high fine.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
dan100, thanks. I think I need to consider whether I do need multi purpose skis. Regarding the length, my only reference from last year was Rossignol B2's in a 166cm length. These were pretty good but felt that I needed more length for speed in a straight line but they did turn well. Three years ago I had some Rossignol Open 300's in a 178cm and these were better for speed and stability but less easy to turn, although I have improved since then. Any pointers...other than having a demo on them !

Btw, I haven't got a chin like Jimmy Hill in case you were wondering Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I ski 175cm and am 6ft 3 so 170/174 is about right. How about if you are prepared to push budget out K2 apache crossfire. new model on ebay for 299 bit more all mountain but really piste orientated. you tend to get best deals on fischer's. I really like the rx8 as a piste ski, but for us mere mortals its not an off piste ski. not bad in bumps. only other option and I againa ccept cost is a factor a piste ski such as a rossignol z9 which is a tad fatter at 74mm under foot
ski holidays
dan100, What is your weight ? and how does being lighter or heavier make a difference ?

I have demo'd Apache Crossfire's at Castleford this year (last years model though) in a 167cm. Nice ski but the slope is a little short to do it justice. I suppose I was unsure about these as the reviews were somewhat mixed. People seem to prefer the Recons on the whole.

The fischer's at circa £100 seemed almost throwaway money as I could re-sell them for nearly as much if I dont get on with them.

I'm beginning to think that perhaps I should just go skiing, try a few different skis/lengths and then buy some at the end of March. I just like the excitement of buying something new Smile
ski holidays
Others will give you far better answers. I'm 95 kg so quite alot heavier (like to be 85-90). You need more surface area on your ski to stay up in powder. You are better able to manouvre heavier skis (assume equal ability). Perhaps need more length for stability. Sure lots of other good physics answers.

My friend has the last year's cross fire and loves it as a piste orientated all mountain ski. he is shorter than you and skis it in 167 (5ft9). would have thought you could/should try it at 174. Recon is more off a do it all mountain ski. the cross fire is really a piste orientated ski imho but prob fine for slipping off the sides

I agree with you about throw away price of fischers. I sawy a pair of last year's AMC 79s unused go for £232 on uk ebay. I think 1 or 2 people buy from ski bilek and then trade. tempted myself but
don't have enough time. I think you would like amc 76s and wouldn't be disappointed. I only queried if youa re staying on piste if you would prefer the RX8 or whatever it is now called. The Fischers are good skis. I liked the AMC79s but realistically if I'm going to go in to powder and embarass myself I need something wider than 79mm . the Atomic Nomad Crimsons that should be delivered tomorrow should assist there and seem to be a better bet for 50/50 skiing. if its hard and icy I've got the RX8s. At Fischer prices you could almost go RX8 and Amc79 -therein lies the darkside wink wink
ski holidays
dan100, Thanks for all the advice again

as an example look at this newly ended item on ski-bilek's ebay shop

Fischer AMC 79 exk.Edit.Saas Fee+Bind. FS10 for £73 + delivery!!!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=360006728574&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=023
snow conditions
pokemon wrote:
dan100, Thanks for all the advice again

as an example look at this newly ended item on ski-bilek's ebay shop

Fischer AMC 79 exk.Edit.Saas Fee+Bind. FS10 for £73 + delivery!!!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=360006728574&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=023

Its a really good ski. If you could get one of those and an rX8 you should be happy. Just being heavier than you I'm going to sink on the AMc79s. I think 1 or 2 people are buying from ski bilek and trading on in the UK./ at those prices you can see why
snow conditions
Roger C, are your Vist bindings the 311's ? If so are they as good as the tyrolia ones on paper

spyderjon, can you comment on the Vist 311 bindings ?

btw I've just measured my height and I'm actually nearer 6' (183cm) with no shoes and about 73kg. I think perhaps the 170cm length is best as this is eye level...would this be a good bet ?

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sun 23-12-07 0:59; edited 1 time in total
latest report
165-170 sounds about right.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy