Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Piste Poles - this is a novice question requiring a novice answer!!

Poster: A snowHead
I'm really suprised that the coloured piste marker thing has not caught on everywhere in the world, its just such a simple idea that makes skiing so much safer. Can't remember how manytimes I've been caught out going the wrong side of a piste marker on a grim, foggy day. In some cirsumstances this could be a serious mistake, most of the time though its just comforting to know your going the right way down !!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The coloured ski poles are, as you say a good idea, but without a tape between them (not desirable for those that like to skip off piste between pistes) if the vis is that bad there must be a risk of skiing between them?

PamW I see the point about the trees, thanks - I guess until you've seen that sort of piste made and skied it then its difficult to imagine the impression that the trees make.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Another benefit of tree lined areas in windy bad weather is that they act as big windbreaks, so the conditions are calmer in runs between the trees. It may still be snowing, but it's not as much of a melee compared to stuff getting whipped about above the treeline, meaning I can generally see whats around me better when down amongst the trees.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Megamum wrote:
The coloured ski poles are, as you say a good idea, but without a tape between them (not desirable for those that like to skip off piste between pistes) if the vis is that bad there must be a risk of skiing between them? .

Yes, you can. And I've done that. Not fun.

It's still better to have pole than without, though.

The "trees" I was talking about in N.America isn't really just a small bunch of trees on a treeless slope. I'm talking about a dense forest, with a few pistes cutting through them. That's typically what most US resorts are like. So you can't miss the trees. You can't even ski between the trees, unless you really try very hard. There's no need for piste markers along the edge. The forest defines your piste.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
piste markers mark either side of a run so you know where a trail goes in poor visibility, so you can avoid rocks and such. trees definitely help visibility, no idea how it works, but in whiteout conditions, i always head for the trees, and generally have no complaints on visibility.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Megamum, The tree's give good visual clue's to the direction and pitch of the slop. If it's a tree lined piste then there should be plenty of room to miss them wink Skiing between them is fun, but as you say not with out it's potential problems for a new comer.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Really interesting thread... Can someone just confirm for me (having a dense day!) how you can tell the RHS/LHS of the piste by the markings on the poles? ta
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Going back to the first question... There are (semi) permanent poles, and ones which are just rammed into the snow. The permanent ones, which will often have the piste/distance from the end number on* will be verticle, so you can use them to judge the slope. You also get one which are just stuffed into the snow by hand (or a cunning little drill tool) there's no guarantee that they are straight, so aren't much use trying to judge angles.

Rob

* I've definately seen some somewhere that had the actual distance, in m, to the end of the piste.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm tempted to change the title of this to 'was this a novice question requiring a novice answer?' wink
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Helena, It can be indicated by the amount of red/orange paint on the pole
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Helena,
Quote:

It can be indicated by the amount of red/orange paint on the pole

I think someone posted that there's more paint on the right hand one in Switzerland. Anyway, I'm going to make a point of checking out the exact nature of local piste markers wherever I go skiing in the future and if that's not a good result of Megamum having started this thread, I don't know what is! Toofy Grin
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hurtle, Me too, especially now I know what to look for.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
David Murdoch, I'm not sure that it's universal in France, but as most of my skiing over the last few years as been in France in various resorts, this is where I hav noticed it the most. Really can't remember if St Anton or Saas Fee do it but definities in Avoriaz, Tignes and Serre Chevalier. It was first pointed out to me in 3V.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Having just returned from Austria (Zillertal area), I found that in that area, the poles all had little arrows attached to the top, pointing inwards towards the centre of the piste, as can be seen here.

The only ones which didn't have the arrows were the ones with the coloured discs showing the piste number (roughly every 5th pole I think).
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
alex_heney, I don't think we had that a variation in this thread - interesting. I wonder if that's an Austrian wide convention?
snow conditions
Been away a week in Les Arcs so bear with me as I catch up on threads. We got caught in very heavy fog last Monday in Les Arcs. mrsfatcontroller was the one who clicked what poles on your right were blue with an orange top to them and poles on your left were plain blue. Very handy to know in the conditions we were in. snowHead
ski holidays
I've been keeping an eye out in Laax and as far as I can see the piste poles are typically only down one side (left) of the pistes there. I will continue my research!
ski holidays
stevew, Saas Fee has marked poles and there is a sign in the top station of the MetroAlpine lift explaining them.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy