Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Piste Poles - this is a novice question requiring a novice answer!!

Poster: A snowHead
wink wink

OK, someone mentioned piste poles and that they can be used as a guage of how steep the piste is - is this because they are set vertically regardless of the angle of the slope and so you can visually view the slope against them?

Also, is there anything else I need to know about piste poles - are they like lines on a road, different lengths, colours, regularity all meaning different things? I've taken so little notice of these that I can't even recall if I've even noticed their existence let alone if I should take notice of them for other reasons. Can I continue to ignore them or are they actually useful?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
They are in the snow, not at any particular angle.

They tend to be different colours (representing the colour of the run), or may have a marker (ball, disk, etc) on the top with the run number on it, again with colours.

They can be useful if the conditions are poor, as they give you points of reference against the white.

Not sure about using them to gauge the steepness, other than to see how quickly they look really short.

Hope that helps.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Wear The Fox Hat, Thanks, I didn't know any of that, particularly the bit about the piste numbers - I hadn't considered that the pistes might be numbered - that could make following a piste map easier. FWIW The reference to the steepness of the slope I picked up from Spyderman's comment in the skiing in snow thread

Quote:

look to the piste poles to give you an idea of how steep the terrain is.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Megamum, some resorts - I'm not sure that it's universal - indicate the poles on one side of the piste with something like an orange stripe around the top of the pole to show which side of the piste they're on. Not a issue in good weather, but is a very useful idea when visibility is sufficiently bad you can't see across the piste - so you know which side of them to ski to stay on the piste and avoid dropping over the cliff alongside the path Wink . However, as you can tell, I've not really made full use of this facility, as I can't remember whether a) it's universal b) what the marker is and c) (most importantly) whether they mark the left or right side of the piste rolling eyes .

If runs are not numbered themselves, they may also have numbers on them to indicate how far from the bottom of the piste you are - counting down to 1 at the bottom.

Another useful tip in bad weather. If you're stopped and waiting for someone to catch you up/find you, and you then see a piste marker gently sail past....you're not stopped! I assure you this has happened to me on more than one occasion!
snow report
 brian
brian
GrahamN, I've not noticed it anywhere else, but in Grimentz, the poles at the lhs of the piste have a small fluorescent orange band at the top. Those at the rhs have a much larger band going about half way down the pole.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Megamum, I mentioned the piste poles as a guide to how steep the terrain is, as a visual guide if you can see at least 2 poles, so you can assess the height differential between the 2 poles across a given distance and therefore the steepness.
As stated above they can carry a lot of info dependant on the resort, piste name or number, countdown number, 1 being at the bottom, (very useful should you need to call in an emergency), left and right side of piste marker bands.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
GrahamN,
Quote:

If you're stopped and waiting for someone to catch you up/find you, and you then see a piste marker gently sail past....you're not stopped!

Yesss! That's another motion-sickness inducing factor of bad visibility! Going green
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Megamum,

In a white-out, you will be more than happy with just seeing piste poles, to worry about how steep it is or anything else..... As you tell, after a while, we take them for granted but we are so glad to see them in very poor vis that we don't much care about anything else. Of course, a piste number helps but then you have to know where that leads to... which is why you should always be able to decipher a piste map when you have to..and of course, carry one...!!

Gets complicated, this skiing lark .....!!! Laughing
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
GrahamN wrote:
Another useful tip in bad weather. If you're stopped and waiting for someone to catch you up/find you, and you then see a piste marker gently sail past....you're not stopped! I assure you this has happened to me on more than one occasion!

ditto that. My first experience of a 'white out' and I thought I was stopped still on the piste until this piste pole slid slowly by to my left Shocked Shocked

Another point (possibly made above) the 'colour' of the piste is usually designated by the 'body' of the pole, the tip of the pole is probably reflective orange. and in bad light blue and black can be HARD to tell apart so look CLOSELY Shocked Laughing

Also some (french?) resorts number their pistes and the numbers are on some of the poles, (i.e. many poles carry the same number) but other (french) resorts number their poles in sequence descending down to 1 for the last pole before the bottom. It is quite useful to know which method has been adopted by the resort you are in. Confused snowHead
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Given whats been going on here I thought this was a wind up, but I guess anyone called megemum who keeps goats is bound to be ok. Puts head on block.

The poles mark the edges of the runs, and are colour coded Green, Blue, Red, and Black in increasing order of difficulty (steepness) sometimes you will see itineraries (off piste) marked with orange poles. Also any hazards (rocks, holes etc) on piste may be marked with poles often crossed, give them a wide berth.

In some resorts the poles will be numbered, counting down to one at the end of the run which can be very useful if you need to report an accident when you can give both the name of the run and the exact position from that number.

Some resorts paint the tops of all the poles red and use the length of the red bit (say 15cm on the left and 30cm on the right but this varies at different resorts) to indicate the left and right of the piste, which can be useful in whiteout conditions and stop you inadvertently skiing off piste.

When the pistes are covered in new snow which has not been pisted the edge of the piste will often have a hard edge hidden under the snow, stay well between the poles to avoid hitting it.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'm learning loads from this thread and I'm a fairly experienced skier: certainly didn't know about poles identifying the different sides of the piste. I do second this
Quote:

in bad light blue and black can be HARD to tell apart
it can be hellish dangerous. Also, I have skied in some resorts where, in really poor visibility, you can't actually see the next pole. That freaks me out big time.

The hazard poles are quite often stripey - not sure if anyone's mentioned that.

Actually, this whole subject is a bit freaky for me - my eyesight's not great anyway, which doesn't help, and then sheer panic seems often to cause my goggles to steam up!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hurtle,
Quote:

Actually, this whole subject is a bit freaky for me - my eyesight's not great anyway, which doesn't help, and then sheer panic seems often to cause my goggles to steam up!

Stop, close your eyes for a while, what can you see? now open them again, you can see so much more.

Failing that, just 'use the Force' wink
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I thought they were for slalom practice!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Spyderman,
Quote:

Stop, close your eyes for a while, what can you see? now open them again, you can see so much more

Hey, that's a damn good idea! Toofy Grin Toofy Grin (I think I'm probably fresh out of Force...)
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hurtle wrote:
Also, I have skied in some resorts where, in really poor visibility, you can't actually see the next pole. That freaks me out big time.

I remember one day at Hoch-Ybrig where the white-out was so thick that one poor instructor who had a kid of about 7 or 8 out for a private lesson ended up with a string of about 30 experienced skiers following him down the mountain, just far enough away not to impinge on the lesson but close enough to see them (i.e. a couple of feet behind) because nobody could see from one piste marker to the next. We spent the rest of the day playing and practising on the nursery slope Wink
snow report
brian wrote:
GrahamN, I've not noticed it anywhere else, but in Grimentz, the poles at the lhs of the piste have a small fluorescent orange band at the top. Those at the rhs have a much larger band going about half way down the pole.

All Swiss stations, that bother with poles at all, use that standard marking.
snow conditions
GrahamN wrote:
Megamum, some resorts - I'm not sure that it's universal - indicate the poles on one side of the piste with something like an orange stripe around the top of the pole to show which side of the piste they're on. Not a issue in good weather, but is a very useful idea when visibility is sufficiently bad you can't see across the piste - so you know which side of them to ski to stay on the piste and avoid dropping over the cliff alongside the path Wink . However, as you can tell, I've not really made full use of this facility, as I can't remember whether a) it's universal b) what the marker is and c) (most importantly) whether they mark the left or right side of the piste rolling eyes .

As far as I'm aware it tends to be the right hand pole that has the orange stripe, most french resorts seem to have them and yes it's very useful in bad vis conditions to know where the RHS of the piste is, been there and got the T-shirt
snow conditions
jbob, Nowt wrong with putting head on block imho - Nope I'm totally genuine, yes the thread title was a dig at other parts of the forum, but the question itself was genuine - it's not so bad in my small family holiday resort where you kind of know where the piste is, but if I'm going out with the rest of you folks next year then it seemed sensible to find out if there were things I ought to know and picking up from the comment in the other thread I realised that I hadn't even thought about piste poles. Thanks for all the info folks - someone once said round here that the only thing daft about a simple question is the person that won't ask it Very Happy snowHead
snow report
Quote:

a string of about 30 experienced skiers following him down the mountain

I've done that. I didn't know where they were going, but the pupils didn't look like anything special, so I thought he'd lead them somewhere I could safely follow! I have quite often skied in white outs where you can't see the piste markers - anyone who hasn't has been lucky, I guess. In our resort they don't mark whether they are port-hand or starboard-hand poles, and it is extremely difficult sometimes to guess. I've tried "learning" them on my home run, but failed. One time I stood there, in visibility of about 2 metres max, in very snowy conditions when the only distinction between piste and off-piste was the depth of fresh untracked powder, and chose the wrong side. I immediately plunged down a little bank in very deep powder and realised I'd got it wrong. Then had to clamber back up, very gingerly as I was terrified of losing a ski, assuming that the piste was on the other side. There, the powder was only up to my knees, and the run would have been wonderful if I could just have seen where I was going. In those conditions you need markers every three feet.

I was once on my snowboard, on a very shallow slope, in those sort of conditions. I was in a good position, feeling rather clever, thinking "yes, I'm doing well here, in good balance, just don't panic". Then I looked down at the snow and realised that I was actually stationary. Just as well that nobody more than two foot away could have seen me!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Well I have been skiing almost 20 weeks and never knew there was a left and right marking on piste marker poles. Top marks for the thread Megamum,

ise wrote:
brian wrote:

Does anyone know if this is a European/International standard, or just a Swiss thing?
snow conditions
I thought that they are generally white with slightly reddish cheeks.
snow report
The other problem with white-out conditions is that your vertical hold can be affected - if you can't see the horizon, you can have problems working out which way is up, with the result that when you come to a stop, you fall over. Its very embarrassing to ski the whole mountain for days without falling over, and then keel over while stationary... Laughing
latest report
ousekjarr, absolutely. That's why I thought I was moving nicely, when in fact I was stopped dead. Sometimes the only way to decide which way is down is to shuffle around and see which way you start sliding. I suppose that it reflects the way our balance works, and is the reason why it's so much more difficult to balance with your eyes closed. A Pilates teacher I had once said that if you practised this every day, standing first on one foot, then the other, then (when you got good at it) raising arms above head, etc. that after 6 weeks the brain "learns". Maybe we should all do more of that. I bet top skiers can stand on one leg with their eyes closed and wave their arms about all day! Another good exercise is just closing your eyes and skiing a few turns, on an easy and empty piste. It's surprisingly difficult not to cheat, but very good practice for white-outs!
snow conditions
What I find useful in a white-out, but is probably very bad practice at any other time, is to let my uphill pole drag along the ground behind me (only just touching, mind), helps enormously with orientation
snow report
pam w,
Quote:

standing first on one foot, then the other, then (when you got good at it) raising arms above head,

...add spice to this exercise by standing on a Bosu ball! (Perhaps do this near a wall to start with, so that you can put a hand out to regain your balance if necessary. Shocked )
snow conditions
..... and then have a look at the shoulder dislocation thread Toofy Grin
latest report
Frosty the Snowman, Laughing
snow report
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Well I have been skiing almost 20 weeks and never knew there was a left and right marking on piste marker poles. Top marks for the thread Megamum,

ise wrote:
brian wrote:

Does anyone know if this is a European/International standard, or just a Swiss thing?

I've not seen poles used in the US or Canada, apart from designating dangerous areas (cliffs/rocks), or with rope running between the poles to indicate a closed area.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Wear The Fox Hat, I guess that's all part of the everything's-patrolled-unless-it's-roped-off ethos? Alarming, though, for people who are happier on groomed piste and find themselves in a white-out! Shocked
latest report
Hurtle, most of the pistes there are below the tree line, so no need to be alarmed as you have plenty of "poles" to use as guides in a white out.
Where pistes merge or split, there will normally be signs telling you what piste (by name and colour) goes in which direction, and frequently there will be signs showing the easiest way down.
latest report
Wear The Fox Hat, Yes, true in my experience (trees as poles) save that I did find the signposting in Whistler a bit mystifying at times. But that could just be me: poor eyesight, not being very observant and having zero sense of direction are serious handicaps on the slopes. Embarassed
snow report
ousekjarr wrote:
The other problem with white-out conditions is that your vertical hold can be affected - if you can't see the horizon, you can have problems working out which way is up, with the result that when you come to a stop, you fall over. Its very embarrassing to ski the whole mountain for days without falling over, and then keel over while stationary... Laughing

Or the other way around, when I wanted to do a complete stop but have trouble believing I actually stopped! Starting to panic because it's been a long time since I set my edge and yet I was still sliding (I thought)!

Worse is when the snow is reasonably fresh so you can't feel the scraping of the edge on the packed surface. Can't tell moving from stopping AT ALL. I end up sitting down on the piste just to be sure I wasn't sliding anywhere!

Don't know what I would do had the fresh snow were deeper...
ski holidays
Hurtle wrote:
Wear The Fox Hat, I guess that's all part of the everything's-patrolled-unless-it's-roped-off ethos? Alarming, though, for people who are happier on groomed piste and find themselves in a white-out! Shocked

Most US resorts are "managed" differently. So the same doesn't really apply.

Above treeline, there tend NOT to have "pistes" but just a big wide open space where you simply slide every which way down to the bottom. So you don't really have the issue of going in and out of the packed and unpacked snow. A problem that confused the heck out of me in Wengan last MSB (ended up skiing "off" the edge of the piste multiple times! Sad ).

In poor visibility, you have a different problem which is you can't see the bottom where you're suppose to ski "down" to, especially when "up" and "down" is confused. The only way I found that works is simply ski down along the lift, using lift towers as piste markers!

Almost all US resorts have sections BELOW treeline. So when visibility gets really bad, people tend to just stay down in the tree-lined area, unless you're a local and knows the way around by "feel".
snow conditions
eng_ch wrote
Quote:

What I find useful in a white-out, but is probably very bad practice at any other time, is to let my uphill pole drag along the ground behind me (only just touching, mind), helps enormously with orie

Excellent tip thanks.
ski holidays
abc, and of course the tree line is considerably higher in the Rockies than in Europe.
ski holidays
stevew, I can't say I've noticed the French using it - but the Swiss certainly do.
snow report
stoatsbrother wrote:
abc, and of course the tree line is considerably higher in the Rockies than in Europe.

Indeed. Hence less of a problem with perpetual bad visibility during a holiday.
latest report
Quote:

So when visibility gets really bad, people tend to just stay down in the tree-lined area,

Trees certainly make a difference in poor visibility. But in "really bad" visibility they are just as invisible as everything else.
ski holidays
I'm puzzled by this excitement in trees helping with poor vis. folks - surely trees would just give you more obstacles to hit? It's my OP thread I can go off topic if I want wink Laughing
ski holidays
Megamum, you're not off topic. The thing is with piste poles, they're just a little thing, in a great sea of white all around you. Big banks of trees, where pistes go through the trees (ie we're not talking about skiing in a wood, but on a piste where all the trees have been cleared off, usually by cruel bulldozing...) create a visual framework. You can see the white space in between, and aim for that. But, as I said above, in a whiteout (as opposed to a bit of fog) you can't see anything, including the trees.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy