Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

DYNASTAR Legend 8000

Poster: A snowHead
I have paid to the hire the top set ski when we venture to Chamonix in Feb. I was originaly going to select a out and out piste comp carver however im quite interested in giving these a go. Anyone know anything about them.

latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think they're wicked. Had them for the EoSB this year and found them very stable and capable on all terrains. As fun in powder as on piste. Hope you enjoy them as much as I did.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Renry, it all depends what you want to do with them, and how heavy you are. I skied them (at 90ish kg), including a couple of big tours, for about 3 years and loved them. Those you show are graphically totally different, but I don't know if they ski any different to the originals (from skiing which all my comments are based). If you're say 80kg and want to do a bit of piste, and a bit of off-piste stuff they'll be ideal. They flkoat reasonably well, although not as well as a proper fatty, and are sufficiently flexible to allow you to adjust turn shape through pretty much the whole range at all speeds. If you're only interested in the piste, though .... why are you going to Chamonix Wink ? More seriously, though, they are a bit soft for skiing hard on piste - if you're reasonably competent something like the Stockli Stormrider will be better on piste, but will take a fair bit more driving off-piste. If you're heavier than that and intend spending all your time off-piste, then a fatter ski would be better. But as an all-rounder they're a pretty good ski. Unless they've been reinvigorated in this latest incarnation though, nowadays something like the Scott Mission is probably a more fun all-rounder (provided you can get to grips with an 88mm ski on piste).
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Renry,

Chamonix has a great selection of skis.... I'd wait until you see the conditions.

Having said that, these sound like a good starting point. I was never totally convinced by them ( can't recall why ) but plenty were.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hire is already sorted with Intersport rent Les Houches (we are beased there)

Choice of skis available are

DYNASTAR Legend 8000

or

ATOMIC slc

We will be spending 90% of the time on piste.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'm a boarder, but a lot of my friends have the Legend 8000, and many more of them have hired them on the advice of people who live here, they say that it's an excellent ski for Chamonix. It's always nice to go for the local make too Smile

(edited for atrocious spelling)

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Thu 20-12-07 10:50; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If I do choose to go for the Legends should I go for the same length as what I would choose for the Atomic?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Renry, Take a look at the skia as you are comparing chalk and cheese. If you want to ski very tight quick turns for the whole week then take the Atomic as they look like slalom ski. The large curve i.e. side cut allows them to turn very easily and quickly. If you want a more laid back ski week of neither tight turns or fast large gs turns then take the dynastar 8000.

To be honest if you are just relaxed piste skiing I would go for neither of these skis.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Renry, What I would advise is taking the Dynastar 8000 if conditions are good and skiing La Vallee Blanche as if there is any year to do it it is this year. You will need a guide but it is not difficult as long as you can control your skiing.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Thu 20-12-07 11:52; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Renry, now I see your choice and your comment about 90% on piste, I agree with Plectrum. Neither is ideal. I think you will have most fun with top carver - I know the ladies Dynastar Exclusive Carver is awesome on piste but don't know what the male equivalent is. Volkl also do some fun, fast carvers but can't recall any ski specs to quote. Good luck.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
would have thought a dynastar contact or rossignol z9 might be a bit more up your street for everyday crusing. surprised if your choice is limited to these 2 skis and if so I'd look elsewhere
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Renry wrote:
If I do choose to go for the Legends should I go for the same length as what I would choose for the Atomic?

No go for longer
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Found this great review for the Dynastar Legend 8000 on skinet.com. I think I'm going to buy them from sport-conrad.de.

Some skis have the guts to go hard but don't mind dialing back. The 8000 performs well no matter how much or how little energy you ski it with. It differs from last year's version only in that its tip is 4 mm wider. It still gets two sheets of metal, and the extra tip width loves to dive into high-speed arcs. But its heart is in soft snow, where it aced the category with a fluid, fun-loving feel. Truly easy to ski, said Hogen. Not burly, yet secure on edge.

Pretty good!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Just stumbled back on this thread while searching for suppliers of the legend 8000.

What a awsome ski, looking to buy a pair in 165. Skied it in all terain on Tignes and VAL in Jan and looking to make a purchase
when the 'sales' start.
snow report
Horses for courses, Renry, but I tried the Legends last season after seeing the love for them on snowHead and was totally disappointed.

Other all-mountain skis I have since tried and rate much more highly are the Elan Magfire 12 (current version is called 82s or something) and K2 Apache Recon. Both behaved better on and off piste, whereas the Legends felt lifeless and harder to ski on piste (admittedly, I didn't get much off-piste time with them, but you said you are 90% on-piste). On piste I like a firm carving ski that allows me quick edge transitions (but not usually an all-out slalom ski, I'm too lazy wink ) and for comparison I weigh 12.5st (on a good day) and am 5'9".
snow report
andyph wrote:
Other all-mountain skis I have since tried and rate much more highly are the Elan Magfire 12

That's my day-to-day ski and I really like them. Pretty nimble on piste, and OK in most conditions that I've skied them off-piste.
snow report
The Legend 8000 is one that's been on my list for a while due to rep and reviews but that I haven't had the chance to test yet. Anyone know if it's is softer/stiffer in the shovel than iM82?

So far this season, I've tested, for periods ranging from hours to days, iM82, Neo, Yaka Jam, Mission, Recon, Watea 78 on and off piste. So far my favourites are the iM82, Yaka Jam and Mission. I reckon this is because of the relatively soft shovel compared to core of the iM82 and relative shovel softness and shovel width Blush of the Yaka Jams. Mission is quite soft too - good to ride generally though but for other reasons (like most of the others on this list), not what I'm in the market for. No question that the smaller sidecut radius of the Neo made them fun on piste and they are quite stiff in the shovel relative to this lot. Didn't like the Watea much other than for biggish freeride/piste turns - I think it's the stiffest of the lot here. Felt the Recon was soft in both shovel and core compared to all of the others - versatile and forgiving but disappointing when pushed.

The other one I'm interested in is the Elan 777Graphite (not M777) but no one seems to know anything about them and I think they are rare beasts indeed!
latest report
slikedges, MX88's... I suspect Europe will be in love with them next year... and I happen to know where a pr are with Griffons and 5 days on them...

Pretty expensive and you'll be hard pushed to find them this side of the pond, but.....I think they'll be the next bencmark
snow report
JT, are they the big brother of the 777G Puzzled
latest report
slikedges, No, Kastle's new offering...backed by Head Race department, I think.

They have 3 models to my knowledge

The MX78, MX88 and the MX98... The MX88 is a piste carver with off-road jazz chops...
My friend skis them anywhere and they can do anything...bought the MX88 in 178 as the Yanks say ski them shorter...and had 'dudes' at 220lbs on this size..WTF..and then bought the next size up when I talked him into it.. and for which he is enternally grateful now.. wink

I have no chance of catching him on a fast fast red which I put down to him being on better skis now and I am on a wider 92mm which doesn't excel there...
Before this season, I would likely be in front... mind you, I am hoping a decent thorough wax and edge tune will claw some of that time back.
It isn't a good idea to ski dried out new skis straight out of the wrapping and expect good glide, IMV..
snow report
JT, my wife had some Kastles once upon a long time ago. Haven't heard of them recently - does anyone sell them in the UK?
latest report
slikedges, Doubt it ..as they have been 'resting' of late..and this is their BIG comeback..

My friend bought them in Val D before Xmas and they weren't many left then.... also found some in Argentierre..but again, not many. Not heard of any in Chamonix itself this season, but the word is out and the shop in Argentierre said he had heard of 3 shops in the valley asking for them for next year...

At the moment, they are for very discerning feet.... only seen 2 other pr on snow in 4 weeks wink
ski holidays
I used to have a pair of Kastles, many moons ago. In fact I had three pairs because I delaminated the first two!
latest report
rob@rar, Doubt they are from the same factory as many moons ago... Laughing

and at 1000eu they have moved into another league. Very impressed with the build quality so far.
snow report
I'm sure they're not! €1,000 for skis? That's not cheap...
snow report
rob@rar wrote:
I'm sure they're not! €1,000 for skis? That's not cheap...

Try Volant for €€€ Shocked
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy