Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dislocated Shoulder Recovery...

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hey all,

Dislocated my shoulder in June. Booked to go skiing end of Jan. I'm not fully recovered still and did miss a whole chunk of rehab.

Obviously I should avoid any mishaps that lead to me taking a tumble...haha...but has anyone got any advice of shoulder supports or such?

I will be working my socks off to make sure my shoulder is healed as much as poss by the time I go!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
SharkEnergy, this is quite a complex problem and there are a few questions that your post does not answer which are relevant to any answer that somebody gives you:
How old are you?
Was this your first dislocation?
How did it happen?
Are you male or female?
What sort of a dislocation did you have (e.g.anterior, posterior)?
Does it feel unstable?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
SharkEnergy, Commiserations on the dislocated shoulder! I guess since you did it in June you weren't skiing/boarding? Toofy Grin
I (posterior) dislocated my right shoulder (skiing!) in March last year, and when I first saw my NHS physiotherapist a few weeks later he surprised me by saying I would need to be seeing him regularly until September ie 6 months of rehab. I was very pleased with the outcome - I've got back (as far as I can tell) my full range of movement and mobility,but it's very important to do the physiotherapy as prescribed - otherwise you can get "frozen shoulder" with a restriction to your movement.
Don't know about the benefits of shoulder supports - if you're worried about repeat dislocations apparently the statistics show it is more likely to re-occur in people who are young when they have their first dislocation - I was over 50 when mine occurred (age not speed Toofy Grin )
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Alastair Pink, spot on about the age thing. The reason for this is that if you have got to the age of 50 without dislocating it means that you almost certainly have a structurally normal shoulder and nothing significant in the way of underlying joint laxity (both of which predispose to recurrent dislocations).
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
How old are you? 27
Was this your first dislocation? Yep
How did it happen? Was giving my friend a piggy back on a stag do and fell over and he landed on my shoulder (I know I know!)
Are you male or female? Male
What sort of a dislocation did you have (e.g.anterior, posterior)? Hmmmm good question. There was a lump on the side of my shoulder, so the arm moved inward from the socket I guess...
Does it feel unstable? It doesn't, but I still get the odd day where I wake up with a bit of pain. The problem I suppose is I haven#'t tested it out, but how the hell can you?

I've been doing stretching and pressure exercises since July. When I lift my arm above my head it is clearly tighter than the left arm but I think it always will be. The only other exercise I've done is using the rubberband and stretching it outwards with my elbows in at my sides. Then I stand on it with my left leg and pull the band above my head with my bad arm. I'm getting stronger and stronger at these exercises. I would love to start using light weights but my Physio discharged me a couple of months back and I don't really know when I should start or if I can. He said 6 months so that is now, but I missed around 3 weeks of exercises through Flu, Colds and going away.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
OK SharkEnergy, I can now give you a bit of generic advice - but "buyer beware" (in other words I have not seen you or your X-rays and therefore you must treat my advice with a degree of caution).

The fact that you missed 3 weeks in 6 months is neither here nor there because the six months relates more to giving the joint capsule time to heal (and "tighten" to prevent re-dislocation). The thera-band exercises that you are doing sound fine. If you are doing those without difficulty then I don't see any problem with your starting off doing some light weights and increasing very gradually.

You do have a risk of redislocation in a subsequent fall but ultimately you won't know whether it's going to happen until it does and it is a positive sign that it does not feel unstable.

All the best.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
i dislocated my right shoulder kayaking and it took 9 full months til recovery. it's a bad injury and not worth chancing. If you do go skiing, make sure and protect it and don't do anything too silly...

easier said than done!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ok so in that I've possibily gone in too soon by booking skiing...Has anyone got a clue on shoulder supports?

Thanks for the info so far!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
SharkEnergy, A certain snowhead has suffered previous dislocation and popped his again at the EoSB this year whilst having a mogols lesson. There was no fall, just an awkward pole plant. Take care.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
i found it was much less painful the second time....

you'll be fine Very Happy
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
SharkEnergy, because of the large avriety of movements at the shoulder joint, there aren't really any supports which serve any useful function as far as I am aware.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
when i was on a rugby tour a sale Sharks coach told us that for shoulder injuries that if you keep building your good arm and shoulder the hurt shoulder will catch up quicker
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy