Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

looking for good all around skis

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
hi i'm looking for a good pair of skis that can behave well on all terrain including the snowpark Very Happy
I just want some suggestions, i spend most of the time on the groomers, but everytime i see a spot between the trees that's where i have the most fun. Recently i've been trying to do some rails, and i really love to jump. Once i tried twin tips, but they were oversized and i couldnt control them on the slopes. I'm 68 inches tall and weight 132 pounds. I dont have a big bugdet, i just dont want to buy a pair of skis and regret it on the first try :S. Should i go for all mountain all around skis? or buy twin tips?

Any suggestion would be great Wink

thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
nuno, Welcome to snowHeads. what have you tried so far?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Twin tips are ace. Great fun to ski, really versatile, can ski backwards to impress teh laydeez (as long as they're easily impressionable). You need to remember that some go 'all mountain', some go for pop, some go slow so you have control approaching huge booters...

Dynastar troubles/salomon thruster & foil/rossingols scratch are all avalible at good prices from reputable places (or ebay) and worth a look at to get an idea of what might suit. Some skis will be better suited to your style than others, but sounds like you should be able to work it out.

High Society seem to have a bit of a fan club round here wink No experience there though. Also are you female? If so there's some nice womens skis out there I havent tried (I'm big n'fat n'appalingly male), but would be worth a look - get the bigger floatier size without the overkill stiffness.

Where you put the bindings has a huge effect on skis as well - centre for rails and spins, back for powder, somewhere in between for a bit of everything.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
lol i'am a man, well the problem is that i've only used rental skis so far (can't remember the models all i know is that i've tryied almost all brands ... atomic, dynastar, rossignol, k2 ...) lol i tryied big foot once, put them on, and switched for normal skis... couldnt walk with those things eheheh

so i want something that i can control, is stable, light, and allows me to do some tricks. I enjoy carving but at the end of the day my legs can´t take it anymore eheheh specially when i race on the slopes .... i really want to get twin tips, but i dont want to lose the grip on the groomers.... I'll do some more research. By the way could you explain me the difference in the sidecuts and radius? Wink
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
nuno, Dynastar Trouble Makers-mine are great fun to ski on cope pretty much with anything but not so good on the powder front. I still think i could do with something a bit fatter on my feet but as far as an all round ski is concerned im happy as larry!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Really hard to say as though I've done the same selection process, renting a load and testing, I'm nearly 100lbs heavier Embarassed so relative flex is an issue.

16-19m radius = carvy-er/20-25m raidius = parkier if the waist is under 90mm, or powder blasting if the waist is over 90mm. I'd look in the 80-90 range for mostly Europe, 90-105 for mostly Western US/Canada. Straighter skis (and twins in general) tend to skid, 'scarve' and 'butter' better than waisted skis, so if you like tree lines, you will really get the benefit of sharp, non-hooky-uppy turns.

Assuming Eurp I'd recommend you to look at Dynastar troubles as Rossfra8 suggests (longish raidius) K2 public enemies (stiff, maybe a bit 'dead' if you're light, ace if you're fat), both Salomon Foil and Thruster (noodly, but light, cheap and fun all over the hill) Rossingol Scratch. Also look at Head Monsters - not a proper twin, but a damn nice all rounder and good reference point.

If you want to get a bit leftfield, of course, there's the Icelantic Pilgrim...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks alot guys, you've been giving me great advices Wink

now i've selected a few and i want to know what you think . Pretty much i don't know about the flex of these skis or techincal features but according to sizes this is what i got. I understand now that i need a mid fat, something around 70/80 mm waist and a radius under 19....

Dynastar Nothing but trouble
Atomic Twins or Punx
Salomon Foil
Head monster 78 SW
Rossignol Blast
Rossignol Scratch Bling

These skis are 07/08 they were easier to search on the web but i think most are almost the same as the old ones. Very Happy
So beeing 170cm tall should i go for 160/165 skis? or undersize to 155/158 ?

And again thx alot guys Smile
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
160-165, being twin tip they ski shorter on the piste. Good shortlist, have a look at the member gear reviews on epicski to help narrow it down.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Scott Punishers - I've skied the Missions which are a great all round ski, Punisher is the same ski, but twin-tip.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
ok, so after a few more hours.... i've selected 3 Very Happy not that bad eheheh

head monster 78 SW
Salomon Foil
Dynastar Nothing but trouble

Monster 78Sw and Foil have almost same spects 124-78-110 and nice small radius, and i would go for 165cm, but still, im afraid I wont get that much control hence would prefer to undersize.... but i still need to think it over.

Nothing but trouble seems like a very nice ski 112-78-102 with a radius of 18, i would guess this ski works better on powder than the others...

Well nothing is certain yet, all i know is that these 3 skis cost almost the same ( at least in czech republic ) around 10000kc (370€)

the other possible choice is to drop the twin tip thingy and go for round tail or something similar as we observe in most of all terrain skis...

I think it will become all clear when christmas is over lol
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The head monsters have a sort of raised round tail - a kick up about 2.5 to 3cm high, rather than a real twin tip - not so good for going backwards. Monsters will be stiffer and more 'performance' on piste, foils will be softer and more 'fun'. Foils will also seem shorter than their length suggests. The dynastars do get very good reviews and probaly sit somewhere in between the Head and Salomon. Again, they will feel shorter than a piste ski of the same length. A 165 twin tip is like a 160 normal ski.

Enjoy!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Very Happy just read some really good reviews on Head monster 78SW, they are more expensive, but unless i read or someone tells me that the other 2 ( foil or nothing but trouble) are as good as monster on piste and offpiste i will have to choose the head skis :S.... but again price is an issue lol. Another thing i havent been considering is durability, im not planning on crashing my skis against a tree or house... but shait can happen right? anyone ever broke a ski? Smile ...

So Foil are fun, Dynaster (nbt) are in the middle and monster 78sw suits my needs.... kinda lost here. Go for fun, go for nice charismatic monster or stay in the middle with good twin tip? .... damn choosing a ski is harder than skiing looool so many stuff out there, so many styles.... to be honest im indecisive between dynastar nbt and monster, guess another trip to the ski store will clear things out. My friends bought zenith and contact 08, they loved them both, i think ill love my skis too.... at least they beat rentals right? Very Happy thx alot guys see ya soon
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Scott RCX (race carve x) 171

I am the only person I know of who skis on these and I cannot understand why. They were bought to replace a pair of the highly regarded Fischer RX8, you have to work them harder than the RX8's, but they are far more rewarding and no matter how fast I go I canot get them to chatter, which I found was always a problem with the Fishcher's.

The ski's are no longer a current model and they did not sell in high numbers, maybe they are more popular across the pond, were Scott are more established. But they suit me better than anything I have had previously or tried since, so I will be hanging onto them for a good few seasons
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy