Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Volkl Mantra

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone used Volkl Mantra's?

I'm thinking of buying a pair in 177cm, but don't think i'll get a chance to demo any properly beforehand.

Advanced skier, like blasting reds, blacks, slopeside powder and the occasional venture into the trees. Heading to Canada later this season to hunt some serious powder. Height 5'10" Weight 75-80kgs.

Currently use 170cm Rossi B2's. I want something with more float and crud-blasting ability. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
BrightonSki, Volkl are cool Mantra's will do the job.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
BrightonSki, Just check you can't get brand new fat skis from www.sport-conrad.com before you buy the 2nd hand ones.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Good prices on sport-conrad. Have you used them before Plectrum?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
BrightonSki, Yes they are Be Nice please! amazing .... just ask for Tony! Cheaper than any shop I know and some amazing deals on older models such as 05/06 etc

I'm buying Naxo NX21 bindings at £140 and Snow & Rock have them at £220 ~ 57% more expensive. No comparison especially as I can have a 30 min chat with Tony and he gives me lots of information on the various options, which correlates generally to the info I pick up independently.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
BrightonSki,

hmmmm..... The new Mantra is 96mm wide (2mm wider) but apart from that I don't know how it differs from the 2005/06 models. Those have a slate grey or red top sheet depending on year. I think it is a step up from the B2....by some way.. and is known for being quite stiff. To me this means it is a typical solid Volkl so that in itself should not put you off, it is just where you'll use it. I think it is ok and useful to use as a predominatly piste ski but there will be better. From what you have described about what you typically ski, the Movement Spark or M82 will be more fun all round. The Mantra will eat up the Canadian stuff better but suffer by comparison on piste, IMV. It isn't shoddy, just not biased towards doing that beyond the old crossing between pistes. If you said you ski off-piste 80% plus then they would be a great choice. I would think it is worth getting to MK if EB will loan you one to try.....

Maybe more users will chime in...

I've used the 05 and 06 models for about a week in Andermatt and LG which is more its natural home, IMV.

I reviewed it here
as did SZK
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
BrightonSki wrote:
Anyone used Volkl Mantra's?

I'm thinking of buying a pair in 177cm, but don't think i'll get a chance to demo any properly beforehand.

Advanced skier, like blasting reds, blacks, slopeside powder and the occasional venture into the trees. Heading to Canada later this season to hunt some serious powder. Height 5'10" Weight 75-80kgs.

Currently use 170cm Rossi B2's. I want something with more float and crud-blasting ability. Toofy Grin

I have a pair of red Mantras ( which makes them 06 models I think ) at 190cm.
Awesome ski for all manner of powder, heavy, light, tracked out, whatever. They just cut through it. Here's me in some heavy powder in Lech on my Mantras. Would have been tough going on my old skinnies, but no problem (well nearly) at all on the Mantra Toofy Grin
Surprisingly good on Piste as well due to the stiffness, although I find that on hard icy piste I can't keep up with the wife on her Tigersharks Mad

I bought them without trying as well. Never regretted it. Go for them wink
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks guys. Narrowed it down to Mantra's or Missions.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
BrightonSki,

ok..over to you...
IMV it is a better ski than the Mission but you don't want to be too lazy or off the pace with it, there are better skis for bimbling about on and the Mission can do it all pretty much. If you want natural progression from the B2 then the Mission might be better, but if you want something more rewarding then the Mantra is the ski.

I don't know how you ski but your description at the start suggests you have a bit too much on piste bias for the Mantra. The Mission will not be hurt by this and easily should cope with Canada as well.

If you have decent chops in deep snow, then both will be blast there but the Mantra wins, IMV..... Laughing
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mike Lawrie, off-topic, but with what was that filmed?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Timmaah, A Cannon Ixus.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
never skied on them but I think if I was in the market for a single do anything ski, the I'd order these with fritschi freerides or marker dukes from sport conrad (obviously if you've no intention of hiking for turns you'd get different bindings).

I'd be amazed if you were disappointed by them
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ordered a pair of 2007 178cm Scott Missions, good price and better graphics than this years I think. I was surprised to still find a pair for sale.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
BrightonSki,
I am similar height and weight (well a bit heavier! Embarassed ) and have 177 06/07 Mantras. They are awesome skis but...
-My previous off-piste hooning skis were Volkl Karmas so I'm used to stiff energetic skis - B2s are _very_ different in this respect
-They are _much_ wider than B2s. To start with you'll probably hate this and they'll feel like huge boats, eventually you'll get to love it, so much more stable off piste.
-Most of my skiing is not on groomers, I have attempted 2 icy GS races on my Mantras and crashed out twice (must have been the skis!! wink ) Saying that they are by no means bad on the groomers just too wide and not torsionally stiff enough to race on without more talent than I have!

In chopped up snow the extra stiffness is great but they are not as stiff in the tip as Karmas so you can be a little more off your game and not end up over the handle bars. At 177 they are easily nimble enough to get through even tight trees, I probably would go that much longer though if that's where you intend to spend a lot of time.

I bought them from Sport Conrad last year with Rossi bindings, I had no problems at all with them.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Well I guess that was a bit too late anyway!! wink
snow conditions
No worries, thanks for all your inputs.
ski holidays
Mantra Rock. End of. Cool